uniqs

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Question...

is there a demand for re-runs in 4K?

Who, with Netflix, hasn't seen Breaking Bad yet?
Who hasn't seen Breaking Bad?
Who has 4K UHD set and hasn't seen Breaking Bad?
Yeah, the bandwidth...
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159

......I......I haven't seen Breaking Bad
But I don't have anything 4K so it doesn't even to me

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
said by cableties:

Some of that desert scenery might be cool, but some NatGeo specials might be a better demo of the technology.

I still don't see the demand for 4k streaming to be as great as for less compressed HD.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

dvd536 to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
it'll be so bitstarved it'll be unwatchable. * y a w n *

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
said by cableties:

I have Netflix and haven't watched Breaking Bad yet. We do plan on marathoning it at some point.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

2 recommendations

silbaco to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by cableties:

Some of that desert scenery might be cool, but some NatGeo specials might be a better demo of the technology.

I still don't see the demand for 4k streaming to be as great as for less compressed HD.

I know I would rather have a 15Mbps 1080P regular HD stream than a 15Mbps 4K stream.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz

4K using H.265 might be OK at 15Mbps, better than most cable delivers, but not quite 1080 Blueray, which can do up to 40Mbps MPEG4. Google Fiber TV does over 15M/MPEG4, and Verizon FIOS might too.

dreamkiller
@216.2.193.x

dreamkiller to cableties

Anon

to cableties
Me on the first three counts.

It would be nice to have the option to force the client to receive the data in 4k and have it resized to 1080p for higher quality on HDTVs.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to existenz

Premium Member

to existenz
Even if it does look okay, they should be trying to improve the experience for as many people as possible instead of the select few with a 4K TV. It's great that they want to be cutting-edge, but they are cutting edge to the point that no one cares. 4K is still extremely niche at this point.

This is similar to when Netflix jumped on the 3D train.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

MovieLover76 to silbaco

to silbaco
Agreed, I'd much rather have 15 mbps 1080P, and most users would benefit from that much more as 4K TV's haven't really taken off.

This is about checking off a box on features.
Look we have 4K video, ignore the fact that it's very heavily compressed.
Unfortunately PQ is not the goal here.
the fact that their is very few 4K users also helps as this way they don't have to deliver many of these 15mbps streams.
It would cost them a lot more to provide 15Mbps 1080p streams as more users would be able to use them.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN

Chubbysumo to cableties

to cableties
if its even good 4K, or they let it go on anything less than the windows 8 app.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to djrobx

to djrobx
fantastic series ... best TV I ever watched
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to existenz

Premium Member

to existenz
FIOS is MPEG-2. Google Fiber is really delivering 15mbps in MPEG-4?!?!?! Typically MPEG-4 would be 9mbps or under, typically 6-8mbps.
existenz

existenz

I don't know if confirmed by Google but a user in the Google product forums saw MPEG4 packets with Google TV box connected to an advanced router (pfSense). Google did confirm HD channels are at least 15Mbps, which was also measurable on router. A rep told me they don't compress any further than original content provider feeds - while just a rep, looks to be likely.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

FIOS is MPEG-2. Google Fiber is really delivering 15mbps in MPEG-4?!?!?! Typically MPEG-4 would be 9mbps or under, typically 6-8mbps.

I get abunch of channels on FiOS that use H.264/MPEG4. There is one that FiOS is sending as H.264 at over 18mb/s for some reason. I think it's Pivot TV. Or something like that.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

karpodiem to existenz

Premium Member

to existenz
do you have a link to that post?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to existenz

to existenz
That's awesome. Makes me really want google fiber.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

aztecnology to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
said by cableties:

I'm interested

I have Netflix and I haven't seen Breaking Bad.

Haven't seen Mad Men either. I'm sure I could name all the recent hit tv shows that I don't or haven't watched. I have 2 DVR's in the house too, but I just don't normally have the time to watch/manage shows traditionally. Both DVR's are filled with everyone else's shows most of the time so I usually don't even bother.

The most recent series I've seen is The Office on Netflix, and I binged through all the seasons during Christmas break with my kids.

Who has 4K UHD set and hasn't seen Breaking Bad?

I've been planning on starting Breaking Bad sometime during the summer, and I just happened to be thinking about picking up a 50" 4K Seiki.

Yeah, the bandwidth...

I have Verizon FiOS...
existenz

existenz to karpodiem

to karpodiem
said by karpodiem:

do you have a link to that post?

»productforums.google.com ··· zs2dYQVc
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to tshirt

to tshirt
demand or not, 4k should proliferate faster than bluray ever did, for the simple reason that all that needs to happen is to have a streaming service that has 4k available to people that can actually stream it. So in places where decent internet is available, in just a few short years it any cheap 4k tv will be able to stream in 4k.
Kamus

Kamus to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76
said by MovieLover76:

Agreed, I'd much rather have 15 mbps 1080P, and most users would benefit from that much more as 4K TV's haven't really taken off.

This is about checking off a box on features.
Look we have 4K video, ignore the fact that it's very heavily compressed.
Unfortunately PQ is not the goal here.
the fact that their is very few 4K users also helps as this way they don't have to deliver many of these 15mbps streams.
It would cost them a lot more to provide 15Mbps 1080p streams as more users would be able to use them.

You realize we'll be using h.265 as the codec right? You would be very surprised how low the bitrate can be when using the right encoder. A 1080p x264 encoded file looks nearly identical to the source bluray at about 10-12 mbps.
Assuming that h.265 really is twice as efficient, we'll eventually have encoders that can deliver quality 4k at very low bitrates.
I remember reading somewhere that a 1080p file encoded in h.265 can look very good at even 3mbps. (need to see this for myself...)

The only limitation here is the mediocrity of our ISP's. by the time 4k TV's cost the same as 1080p TV's cost now, we should have a 4x faster internet. But, we all know that even though the technology to get there is available, it's quite another thing to have our shitty ISP's to actually implement the technology.

Anyway, we'll be swimming in 4k content in just a few years. Technology advancements have made it possible, everything new is now shot in 4k, TV's are available, Projectors are available (and will hopefully come down in price soon, since projection is the best way to take advantage of that resolution) and h.265 is now available.
Even cheap telephones can now record and playback 4k.

Also, you have to remember this is Netflix we're talking about... There is nothing preventing them from offering multiple bitrates for the same resolution if the client's internet can handle the extra bitrate.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Kamus

Premium Member

to Kamus
So instead of paying for BD drives and disks, we'll be paying for 4kTV's and bandwidth, in order to bring 4K to the average home.
And yes I see the name brand 4k tv at $3000 and up (we'll assume less than a 50" is kind of pointless) Yet you blame the ISP's for wanting the end users to pay for the plant upgrade (specifically charging overages for those using this new high level of usage to view 4K (among other high bandwidth uses)
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to existenz

Premium Member

to existenz
HOLY **** that's awesome. Those are bit for bit C-band feeds! ESPN must look insane!
BiggA

BiggA to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
Yeah, that's a good point, there are some super obscure channels on the really expensive package that they moved over to MPEG-4 (like the .TVs). Any channel that anyone has ever heard of is MPEG-2 though.

That's nuts. Must be place-holding for something else to get mux'ed in. Under FIOS's system, wouldn't they normally put 4 MPEG-4 HD's per QAM, in keeping with 2 MPEG-2 HD's per QAM? Comcast will probably try to do 6 HD's per QAM when they go MPEG-4, although it would be nice if they stick to 5, as I think they could pull off really nice quality with 5.