Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

FedEx, FedEx, FedEx

We ordered a package from Sherry's Berries(delicous!) and paid extra for delivery on Saturday so we can give it to a family member for Mother's Day. Well, FedEx says they delivered the package at 12pm on Saturday and left it at our front door. WE WERE HOME and they didn't leave it. Talked to all my neighbors, none of them got it. Called the house with the same numbers on the street in back and in front of me, they didn't get it.
1. FedEx rep said they cant do anything until Monday even though it was guaranteed to arrive on Saturday in time for Mother's Day. He refused to call the local hub and/or driver, even though they have done this in the past. Filed a tracer and said someone would call us Monday 8am.
2. I called the local hub and the supervisor said the driver will be over to talk to me that day to tell me what he did with the package(wrong house, forgot to deliver, etc) even though he couldn't get in contact with the driver.
3. Driver nor anyone showed up on Saturday like promised, and FedEx didn't call me this morning like promised. I called and they said they give their drivers 2 days to respond to an investigation.

In essence, one of our Mother's Day gifts was ruined by FedEx and although we replaced the gift with something else, their customer service after that is what really killed it. If you give a driver 2 business days to respond to a "missing delivery" complaint and he makes 50+ deliveries a day, he probably isn't going to remember what he did. And guess what? They probably will deny the claim too like most shipping companies do.
--
No Victim=No Crime

Tex
Premium
join:2012-10-20
Do you think someone could have stolen the package?

I know it was Mother's Day and all, but two business days to respond doesn't seem unreasonable, especially since it was a weekend.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to billydunwood
That seems very uncharacteristic of FedEx. Is it possible your package was stolen from your porch, as this is a very common occurrence, especially around known holidays.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to billydunwood
Did you contact Sherry's Berries about it? They might be able to prod FedEx to look more into it.

tommy13v
Premium
join:2002-02-15
Niskayuna NY
reply to billydunwood
In my area it's typical for FedEx to pull this crap. My past 2 deliveries I got delivery exceptions because no one could sign for a package but someone was home and I have security cameras on my house which showed that no FedEx driver came to the house.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to billydunwood
I only use FedEx now when the vendor gives me no other option for carrier. On two occasions I've had FedEx tell me they couldn't deliver because I wasn't home. Yet, I WAS home the whole time and my building has security that requires all visitors, including delivery persons, to sign in. There was no sign in or attempts by FedEx at those times. So, they lie.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

billydunwood

united state
reply to billydunwood
I have packages delivered at least 3x per week and live 1 block away from the police station. In 14 years I have never had anything stolen. I was just concerned morevabout them lying to me after the fact. And Sherry's Berries said they will be issuing a credit within 5 days.
--
No Victim=No Crime

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to billydunwood
driver had a sweet tooth.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to chamberc
said by chamberc:

That seems very uncharacteristic of FedEx. Is it possible your package was stolen from your porch, as this is a very common occurrence, especially around known holidays.

This is very characteristic of FedEX. UPS and USPS. They often leave packages without knocking or ringing the doorbell. I have even had them claim they showed up when I was waiting for them. In fact, just today I got a package from UPS that was left at my door. And I know no one knocked since someone was at the house continuously, and awake, from 6AM yesterday until we went to bed at 10PM. My wife found the box this morning.

billydunwood

united state
reply to billydunwood

Re: FedEx, FedEx, FedEx UPDATE

UPDATE: The driver just came by and told me that he left the package just by our doorstop and couldn't really explain why he didnt knock and hand us the package despite the door being open. He also said he saw some sketchy people walking up and down our street because there was a car show nearby, but still decided to leave the package because it was perishable. This makes no sense whatsoever and it is now leaning more towards the driver stealing it. If you see sketchy people walking around, why would you leave a package? The plot keeps thickening.
--
No Victim=No Crime

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
And if a perishable package, why leave it outside without at least trying to knock?

You are correct to be pissed off....

At least the seller will issue a credit.

The seller will be watching FedEx a little more, and FedEx will be watching the driver a little more.

Everyone knows the score....

FedEx will be watching the driver a little more not because they are moral, not because they give a shit, but because it's bad for business. So this guy is on notice now, on double secret probation.

You did the right thing to make trouble for him.

He probably wanted the stuff for HIS wife or mum.

billydunwood

united state
said by PX Eliezer:

And if a perishable package, why leave it outside without at least trying to knock?

You are correct to be pissed off....

At least the seller will issue a credit.

The seller will be watching FedEx a little more, and FedEx will be watching the driver a little more.

Everyone knows the score....

FedEx will be watching the driver a little more not because they are moral, not because they give a shit, but because it's bad for business. So this guy is on notice now, on double secret probation.

You did the right thing to make trouble for him.

He probably wanted the stuff for HIS wife or mum.

I asked him the exact same question of why he didn't knock and he gave me the standard FedEx answer: We usually knock and/or say FedEx. I told him we were sitting on the couch right by the door, and he should knock and hand the package to the recipient especially if he sees shady people around.
Hell, at least one mother got a good gift...
--
No Victim=No Crime

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to billydunwood

Re: FedEx, FedEx, FedEx

Having held jobs where time pressure is huge, and merely taking 30 seconds to wait at a door adds up to an hour late, and a job in jeopardy (I was a courier) they are probably under pressure to cut certain corners, but the "official" rules or "corporate line" is far from what the company actually wants them to do. Almost every job I've held involved pressures big enough that something had to give, and the bosses knew it damned well, most corporate executives are cheats and liars and are the ones actually to blame for this stuff.

They never knock at my door either, and, while my door is shielded from street view and unless someone is following the truck, or running behind the driver after he comes, the delivery should be fine at the door, they still often insist on leaving a note and not knocking, nor trying to leave with my neighbors in the building, which I ask them to do.

Now, for a brief time I delivered flowers in a major city and 4 out of 5 people never answered the door, no matter how loud I knocked, but would lie and claim I never knocked or range a bell. The world is full of liars who don't care about endangering someones job, in your case, the driver didn't do what he was "supposed to do" (but what the bosses actually DO want him to do).

My problem is I don't have a car, and the distribution centers are not on a bus line, so unless I manage to get a lift (usually impossible), or literally stand by the door, it's a major hassle.

They need to ease up on the pressure on drivers to make so many deliveries that the cannot do their job well, and frankly, I suspect the drivers would tell you this if it wasn't dangerous to say so.

I was a different type of courier, white glove type service. One of my jobs was to serve papers and actions for legal firms. They'd pay 15 bucks but expect you to do the impossible, even if it meant breaking the law or speeding at 3 times the limit, or driving off of interstates on the grass rather than exit ramps, or breaking in, or spending hours waiting for a lousy 3 dollars pay. Lawyers ARE assholes and crooks. Half of them evaded paying their bills, on top of this, and one of my jobs was to collect from them, and almost half the time they refused to pay, and it came out of my pay. After expenses, that job earned about 300 bucks a week for 14 hours work a day and 24 hours on call, and great risk.

The world is full of creeps that expect the wrong and the unfair of their workers, if your job is not this way, you are very fortunate, because a good portion of jobs are like this.

My current job is a pressure cooker of this sort, and it is involves dangerous tasks, and they pressure us a lot. But the pay is minimum wage. The executives only see workers as an means to an end.

To the OP: Try and see the big picture here, all this doesn't revolve around you and your delivery, unfortunately, there's more going on. That driver probably caught hell while he probably isn't actually to blame.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
I agree with everything you said with one exception, that most corporate executives are cheats and liars. Some business sectors may have more than others but the few bad ones makes it seem like more are dishonest. And publicity about the bad ones makes it seem worse than it is. It is fairer to say that most corporate executives are honest and hard working and a minority are dishonest. But I totally agree that many managers are hard driving and push their employees who are on a time critical job.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
1-800-F1UCK-YO
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 edit
To me, that sounds idealistic, to assert that most corporate executives don't cheat and lie flys in the face of my own 55 year experience. Another example I recall about the powerful comes from my youth. I was a busboy for several years, it was a really hard job, and I worked so many hours at it I didn't do well in school (hard work isn't the only reason, but one of them). A lot of rich and famous people came to our establishment, and my recollection of the waitstaff and barstaff was clearly that the more expensive their car, the worse the tip.

Now, as a server/courier, it was more of the same, the highest the firm, the less likely they were to pay the bill, in fact, in spite of knowing that it cost me, the actual worker, for the gas and maintenance on my vehicle, and in spite of them knowing that I drove like a madman and raced to the courthouse and saved their asses before closing time, they refused to pay the bill, the higher and richer the firm, the worst they were.

Unless you might have real world experience, how can you assert that the large majority of executives don't lie and cheat and aren't horrible people. Frankly, my experience, and my knowledge of human character and what it usually takes to become rich and powerful seems to fly in the face of such idealism.

And the managers are "hard driving" (read nice but tough), they are hypocrites that put demands on their front line people that are horribly abusive.

I've held a dozen jobs of all sorts of types, and men are men, and most are as I describe, horrible. Even writers and directors know enough to portray the truth to us in media. This is not a nice or fair world, and very rare is the good man who is also powerful, very very rare, and soon a failed or dead man. Crime does pay, so long as the crime is veiled as business or politics.

And getting back to the issue here: The drivers are only doing this job the way the bosses want them to do it. No such behavior would be widespread and not be what the top executives wanted. Dr. W. Edwards Deming knew this, from decades of studies and learned work, he proved it. The front line is only as good as the top of the line makes them. And THAT is why many America companies have fallen so far, the leaders lack the substance, courage, and morals of their grandparents. FedEx drivers are not really to blame, you'd have to blame all of them, and wouldn't that be crazy, considering that such widespread failure would ONLY exist IF and ONLY IF the top management saw to it that that is exactly how they want it?

Idealizing these men is what is killing this country. We desperately need Americans to be honest with themselves and start demanding more of top management, more in the form of honest, reasoned, professional, hard work and leadership, and not them continuing to mismanage their front lines this way. Quality breeds pride, and breeds productivity, which breeds TRUE wealth.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to billydunwood
My wifes a compulsive shopper. I probably get minimum 4 deliveries a week from FEDX and UPS. They only knock when the package requires a signature. I wasnt even aware they were required to knock. I have yet to have a package go missing. They drop it on the front porch and leave.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
FedEx is not required to knock, nor is UPS. As long as the package is left/delivered that's all. That's why they give tracking numbers and insure their packages.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to rody_44
I've never gotten anything that didn't require a signature. But I don't shop online much. I far prefer to shop in real stores.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

billydunwood

united state
reply to ITGeeks
said by ITGeeks:

FedEx is not required to knock, nor is UPS. As long as the package is left/delivered that's all. That's why they give tracking numbers and insure their packages.

Oh im sure they arent required to, but the driver dug himself a hole by saying despite him seeing suspicious people in the area he still left the package. His story does not make sense and they have always knocked or I have heard them, especially when I am sitting 5ft from the door and was there at the alleged delivery time
--
No Victim=No Crime

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to Mele20
You must not get much at all sent to you. Hardly anything we get requires a signature. Some orders give you the option to require a signature. I never check that box as i have never had anything go missing. That even includes 2 desktop computers from Dell. Left in plain view on front porch in clearly marked Dell Boxes. The most i get is sometimes they honk the horn as they pull out. To be honest im surprised anyone expects a knock when they are not required to knock. Do you expect the same knock from a US postal worker when they deliver mail?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
How does an apartment or condo dweller know that FedEx is at ther door if they don't knock?

Apts/condos in big buildings have no porches. It would be insane to leave a package in the corridor. It would be stolen five minutes after the driver left and this is in good neighborhoods. I HATE having to order things that will come by FedEx or UPS because the drivers usually come either when I am sleeping or out exercising. So, I miss them repeatedly and finally have to go pick up the package. USPS is ok because my condo building has large lockers for the USPS to use and then put the key in my mailbox. Plus, if too big to go in even the big lockers, I am almost always home when USPS delivers the mail and the postman will knock on the door. I have never known our postman to not knock on the door if they have a too big package, smaller one but one that requires signature, first class mail that requires signature, etc.

My Dell computers (desktops and Ultrasharp monitors) come overnight delivery via FedEx and ALWAYS require a signature. Dell's not stupid. They always require a signature. I've bought Dells since 1999 always a signature is required. I have no idea why they did not require a signature for yours. Somebody goofed at Dell I suppose.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
Well, the op doesnt live in a big building or apartment condo so i dont think we are talking about that. Since he has a front door i think that says it all. Its like the US mail. Sure if it needs a signature i expect a knock. But if its a drop and go i dont. I as the OP doesnt live on the 5th floor of a apartment building. In your case yes i would expect a knock.

So lets see you dont mind going and picking it up? They pull that shit with my brother. I wont accept that. I payed for delivery to my door and thats what i expect. Anything small from fedx around here gets delivered by USPS here anyway. They have some deal where they drop it off at the postal service and it gets delivered by the mail lady. Only if its not express tho.

As far as the dell computers maybe yours requires a signature because you picked overnight delivery. Because mine never required any. Might have changed now but we are not discussing dell per say. In any case im simply saying i dont expect a knock if a knock isnt required.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

I never check that box as i have never had anything go missing. That even includes 2 desktop computers from Dell. Left in plain view on front porch in clearly marked Dell Boxes.

The crooks just may not want to bother with Dell desktops.

said by rody_44:

The most i get is sometimes they honk the horn as they pull out. To be honest im surprised anyone expects a knock when they are not required to knock.

Regarding various shipping companies and various shippers using those shipping companies, I sometimes choose deliveries at home and sometimes at my office. They ALWAYS take a signature at our office. They don't at home if no one is home, the package is just left on the porch. But it is my impression that by the book they are supposed to get a signature....

said by rody_44:

Do you expect the same knock from a US postal worker when they deliver mail?

Well, mail might be delivered to a cluster box on the street, to an individual mailbox on the street, to an individual mailbox by the door, to a mail slot in the door, or to an apartment house cluster. A lot of variation.

But mail is delivered every day, a package is a more special event, and presumably more valuable. So if applicable it [is] nice if the postal worker can knock or honk.

cf:
"The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1946 version)

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

1 edit
LOL you dont live with my wife. We get as many packages as mail. Not completely true but not far off. Average is between 4 and 5 a week tho. But anything via fedx thats small gets delivered to the post office to deliver here.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
It gets delivered by USPS only if it was shipped FedEx SmartPost.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

The crooks just may not want to bother with Dell desktops.

I bet those were not Dell gaming machines at $2000+.
--
Expand your moderator at work

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to robbin

Re: FedEx, FedEx, FedEx

That explains it. i always wondered why some and some were not.