Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

[CustSvc] Commercials touting "better" customer service

Anyone else getting a chuckle out of these CC commercials with the actors claiming they came back to Comcast and the customer service is "better" (or "much improved") ???

Makes for a break with the incessant Angie's List commercials, I guess. The actors must be paid a lot because they say their lines with such a straight face .

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

[CustSvc] Re: Commercials touting "better" customer service

How do you know it isn't true?

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by Johkal:

How do you know it isn't true?

Errrm - ah - well, I'm considering the source, lol. Be nice if it's true.

Does make a great change from those adverts with toddlers telling their parents what HVAC company to use, and all of those "gentlemen's products".

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Furrever Fur

said by Furrever Fur:

The actors must be paid a lot because they say their lines with such a straight face .

I wouldn't say that, when I watch those commercials, the guy looks like he's about to burst out laughing. :P

He's probably holding in how much of a lie it is lol.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to Furrever Fur

I think overall comcasts CSRs have come a long way. I have to admit tho when you get a bad one she or he really is bad.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

I think it's like any big business that you have to deal with, especially over the phone.
I had to make 3 calls to Comcast in a two day period and all CSRs had a different attitude.
The first acted like I was just taking up his time and didn't want to help in any way and was rude.
The second one was not so bad, but still acted like he didn't like his job and would rather be some where else.
The third CSR was very polite, listened to what I was saying then told me what could be done to make things right to my satisfaction, which he did. He was a person I would hope to get the next time I had to call.
So is Comcast customer service better?, yes and no. It's just the luck of the draw if you get someone having a good day or someone having a bad case of hemorrhoids that day.

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

1 recommendation

reply to Furrever Fur

Presumably we're talking about contacting customer service for help with a problem with one's Internet or pay TV service or getting information about changing service options.

How would one know Comcast's customer service has improved or better than before if one is not a customer? You can't get very far with Comcast customer service by making a telephone call without being a customer and certainly can't make a comparison to what you experienced before dropping Comcast services.

What does it mean that customer service is "better"? Better than what? In most places the comparison can only be made to a telephone company for Internet and some places for pay TV can be had via a telephone company and/or one of the two satellite providers.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Furrever Fur

said by Furrever Fur:

Anyone else getting a chuckle out of these CC commercials with the actors claiming they came back to Comcast and the customer service is "better" (or "much improved") ???

keep in mind, when the commercials say their customer service is "better", it is a tacit admission that they were at one time much worse

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

What company doesn't look for improvements?

I know, the ones who failed.

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Johkal:

What company doesn't look for improvements?

I know, the ones who failed.

or, the ones who are big enough to not have to worry about improving.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Furrever Fur

Technically, their level 1 customer support is awful because they are reading from scripts and trying to troubleshoot from a manual. I am not surprised that many people here have great disdain for them as a whole. In fact, when it comes to many ISP's customer service, I bet many of them would get votes down from us because they lack the technical experience.

I have talked to a few level 2 and level 3 support people at Comcast and I have gotten good service from them. This tells me that the level 1 is really just acting as a deflector from the rest of the team. This deflector is the cause of their craptastic service.

I don't know how much better their customer service is today since I haven't called in them in a couple years, but I hope they started hiring better level 1 techs. That would greatly improve their scores as a whole.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Nightfall:

This tells me that the level 1 is really just acting as a deflector from the rest of the team. This deflector is the cause of their craptastic service.

Level 1 is supposed to weed out the "failed to check the AC mains" kind of problems. Their scripts are designed to guide the caller through the basic steps. I once called Acer support for a relative's new/under warranty computer. I only did that after performing the basic steps. I did take notes on the results; and let level 1 walk me through. I did none of what she asked me to do, but waited a decent while as if I was doing, then give my response. Rather painless, and quickly resulted in an RMA to return the product for factory service.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by NormanS:

said by Nightfall:

This tells me that the level 1 is really just acting as a deflector from the rest of the team. This deflector is the cause of their craptastic service.

Level 1 is supposed to weed out the "failed to check the AC mains" kind of problems. Their scripts are designed to guide the caller through the basic steps. I once called Acer support for a relative's new/under warranty computer. I only did that after performing the basic steps. I did take notes on the results; and let level 1 walk me through. I did none of what she asked me to do, but waited a decent while as if I was doing, then give my response. Rather painless, and quickly resulted in an RMA to return the product for factory service.

Yup, I agree. I just believe that they should have someone with a little more expertise in those jobs just to help guide people in the right direction. Right now, those people seem to be the cause of the problem and not the solution. I don't know if this is really the case, but it seems like it.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to train_wreck

well, at least they know they messed up.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Streetlight

said by Streetlight:

What does it mean that customer service is "better"?

Comcast is probably using the opinion surveys that are taken at the end of the customer service phone calls when the customer agrees to be called back for the survey.

The numbers may be indicating that Comcast customers are complaining less about the service.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

Level 1 is supposed to weed out the "failed to check the AC mains" kind of problems. Their scripts are designed to guide the caller through the basic steps....

In theory, yes. But the problem I've seen is two-fold.

(1) I continually get the impression the Level 1 reps are rated by how quickly they bring the call to conclusion, and/or an upsell.

(2) When the call is beyond the Level 1 person, I have also seen a reluctance of the Level 1 person to pass the call on to someone who can help.

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by camper:

I continually get the impression the Level 1 reps are rated by how quickly they bring the call to conclusion, and/or an upsell.

a very good childhood friend of mine now works as a call center rep for Dell. i can confirm that in at least some organizations, what you describe is EXACTLY the case. "success" is measured in calls per day, with bonuses awarded for upsold services.