share rss forum feed

bmccoy

join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA
Reviews:
·Wave Broadband
·CenturyLink

4K Streaming

Well, I've been using High Speed 55 for a while now, and I think it's time for me to tell you my thoughts about it. I can stream 4K on Netflix or YouTube with no buffering at all, and you can have multiple people streaming 4K video at the same time. Has anyone else had the chance to test out streaming 4K video over Wave Broadband? I'm very impressed, so far. Has anyone else gotten the 'free internet upgrade' letter from Wave? And, if anyone else is running HS55, how good do you think it is for streaming 4K video?

bmccoy

Port Orchard, WA
Bump for teeitup See Profile

teeitup

join:2010-03-15
Port Orchard, WA
reply to bmccoy
I have successfully been streaming 4K through Netflix on my Sony FMP-X10 with High Speed 35 service. The Sony 4K streamer averages around 18 Mbps while streaming Netflix so the 35 Mbps seems to handle it just fine. I was on the 55 Mbps but lowered to the 35 Mbps to save the extra $10/month.

Ergy

@24.113.195.x
Don't do it too much or you'll hit that crap cap pretty easily.

teeitup

Port Orchard, WA
Oh yeah, last month I made the mistake of turning on automatic downloads on my Sony 4K Media Player and ended up over 450GB.

Ergy

@24.113.195.x
It's not that difficult....

Think of all the devices that auto update apps....

Facebook on Desktop & Mobile now auto plays and preloads videos on mobile unless you turn it off on both platforms.

Factor in Game updates too.

Now we're getting 4K as the next big thing. The plus side is SD & HD compression should shrink with UHD streaming becoming the norm.

bmccoy

Port Orchard, WA
reply to bmccoy
Netflix now requires the 'Family Plan' to watch any content in 4K now.

teeitup

Port Orchard, WA
I am still streaming 4K (3840×2160) with the $7.99 plan on my FMP-X10. I believe they had a grandfather clause if already streaming 4K prior to the rate increase.