uniqs

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

[crt/lcd] Dell Studio XPS 1640 screen problem

The screen sometimes does a small dimming and seems to have a slight pink cast when this happens. Used to be once a month, now maybe a couple times an hour. So something is dying. I have re-done the artic silver on this machine about 6 months ago because the CPU started to over heat and ramp down. That isn't a problem anymore and aside from the screen it works properly.

Is this the screen or the video on the motherboard or the power supply? I love this laptop and don't really want to junk it. Can't really sell it for parts on ebay either since I don't know what is wrong with it.

Thanks for your help on this.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

sounds like the display.
According to the specs you have a lot of external monitor connection options with that machine such as hdmi as well as vga.
Do you have any access to a monitor or tv ? You could connect it up to the laptop and see if you get the same problem there.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to beck

to beck
One of two things....

LCD

Video Card

Could be heat related too. Is your fan working? Full of dust? Vents clear?? The unit feel warm when using?

So...

Connect to any external monitor connection, and see if the results re-occur.. if possible with BOTH LCD and EXTERNAL ACTIVE. If you see it on the LCD, and not on the external, replace LCD and the driver board at the same time. Usually comes with a new LCD, be sure!

If it is the video card... mmmmmm... looking at the service manual, as in most cases doesn't look like its changable.. so that would be a fail requiring to toss it.. or you could use a USB one?

»ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all ··· _service manual_en-us.pdf

»www.laptopscreen.com/Eng ··· PS~1640/

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

Thank you both. I'll have to dig out the vga cable from the garage attic. I don't think I have an hdmi long enough, but might be able to rig something for the laptop to sit on to experiment.
Only have an LED TV to test with for external.

The driver board. What does it look like? How do I know if I get one with the new screen. Is it part of the screen or on the motherboard?
Mister_E
join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON

Mister_E to beck

to beck
How old is the Laptop?

The dimming and pinkish colour description strongly suggests that the backlight on the LCD is nearing its end.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to beck

to beck
quote:
The driver board. What does it look like? How do I know if I get one with the new screen. Is it part of the screen or on the motherboard?
The driver or inverter board is what powers the backlight of the LCD's.. it is normally attached to the LCD screen. Some screen replacements are sold with and with out.

BEST TO GET IT WITH! Do not mix and match inverter boards. Unless you know exactly what your getting is an EXACT REPLACEMENT 1:1.

Any device that has an VGA, DVI, or HDMI input to connect to the corresponding output on the laptop. Just cycle through the modes to activate BOTH INTERNAL *AND* EXTERNAL monitor. Normally its like Fn+F2 several times to cycle on this on Dell. Look for the blue markings on the keyboard.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to beck

Premium Member

to beck
said by beck:

The screen sometimes does a small dimming and seems to have a slight pink cast when this happens.

These are symptoms commonly associated with a failing backlight. The backlight can be replaced but many replace the LCD instead. Be well versed on how to handle the backlight if you opt to do the repair.