Search similar:

uniqs

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer

Re: [rCable] Down in Scarborough

This certainly sucks to hear, thought we had this pegged down finally.

You DSL qualification is:

Sync Rate:
Download - 25.0
Upload - 13.9
Served From: Remote
Rateband: B

No information on what type for remote. You were on a Stinger before, most likely will be again unless Bell as added a 7330. Even then, wouldn't know where you woud land.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

OY !

Anyway, 13.9 up ought to get you 10, I reckon.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
I assume there aren't any Rogers trucks hanging out in front of your place. My notes indicate you got 11Mbps before, I think that was at the same place - if so, and at the time the database said 25Mbps then I'm not really comfortable guaranteeing that 25/10 is available.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Does START offer a 15/10 VDSL tier like Bell does ?

Of course, Bell smushes it in with 15/1, and an 'up-to' clause in the fine print.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

No we don't. If you can't get 25 on the download then it's even more impossible to get 10 on the up. (ie the upload is much more sensitive to weak line conditions)

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

I assume there aren't any Rogers trucks hanging out in front of your place.

Senor Rocca! Bloody hell, you nailed it again. The saga continues....

So yeah. As soon as I went down, called in, then thought.... I wonder... so I head out back and sure enough, Link On (Rogers) truck. So they rolled a truck. As I'm standing their, the two Asian dudes with Rogers traffic shirts come out. I let 'em have it. Explain the whole 9 yards. He's holding the noise tag that was on apt 102's line.

So he goes up on the ladder, moves my line to a different port. Go check. No change.

So we're talking about how shit the wiring is in this building and he tells me no shit, the RG6 in 102 was toast so they had to run an external line with a splitter when the tenant moved in. Outside. The cable and splitter are outside. I say you gotta be kidding me. So he says he's going to run a temp line to replace it. He's gone for half an hour now. Comes back. "Ok you're fixed" he says.

This tenant had a whack of old equipment hooked up to their TV cable within a few feet of that external splitter and cable modem. Tech removed the splitter, ran a temp line, and moved the cable modem to the other side of the room. The tenant has a laptop, doesn't care where the modem is.

So I come back upstairs and check.

Bingo.

Between that external line and splitter, and the shitload of crap electronics plugged into the same RG6 and same receptacle - their internet went down and took mine and 5 others' with it.

He fastened the modem and the RG6 connecting it to the wall so it can't be moved.

== sigh ==

What a saga. Seriously. If someone else were telling this story I'd be waiting for the punchline.

Mike

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

What a saga. Seriously. If someone else were telling this story I'd be waiting for the punchline.

Bazinga!

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Mike

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

No we don't [offer a VDSL 15/10 plan].

If you can't get 25 on the download, then it's even more impossible to get 10 on the up. (ie the upload is much more sensitive to weak line conditions)

Even though Mike's stats look very good (13.9) on the upstream ?

Assuming what you said to be true, then why has Bell been allowed to continue calling a retail package 15/10 on the surface when ostensibly it is really 15/1 for many of the folks who ask for it ?!

This new low of marketing honesty from Bell occurred about 2 years ago, IIRC, along with one of their tariff changes, when their retail 12/1 and 16/1 offerings were disco'd and this questionable at best 15/10 took its place.

Why does Bell get away with such rubbish ?!

It makes it look like they are offering a better plan (in a fictitious 'sweet spot') than the Indies, when in many cases it is technologically impossible to deliver.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

....What a saga. Seriously. If someone else were telling this story I'd be waiting for the punchline.

Good - I think.

Not clear on something though.

Did he run also an independent feed for YOU today ? (not a bad idea, I would think)

Or was ALL of the detailed discussion in your last post about this tenant in #102, and the tech fixing THEIR problems today has indirectly fixed yours and those of 5 other units ?

And, is #102 the same unit to which you earlier said that you needed and only had limited access ?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

The fix in 102 indirectly fixed my issues, and the 5 other tenants I'm assuming as it was the same cause that was discovered Friday. They had no access on Friday, today the tenant was home.

No feed for me. My feed is fine, though he did switch me to a different port on the riser just to see if it fixed things.

What really surprises me is Rogers sent a level 1 tech to fix an issue with noise, a tech that had no equipment to detect noise.

I'm hoping this is the end of it.

Mike

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Level 1.

That was today's tech's, or the other day's ?

BTW, where is their 'level number' displayed ?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

3 edits

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Click for full size
Today's techs. Two of them. I don't even know if they have levels, I'm talking out the side of my mouth here. I consider anyone employed by Link On as a Rogers contractor level 1. They have basic equipment, and can do basic fixes and installs. Couldn't detect noise if their life depended on it, don't have that type of equipment. More retail than anything.

The guy out last Friday was a higher level than that. Rogers truck. Big expensive equipment. Rogers attitude. Worked on the main line and boxes and stuff running between the utility poles and the side of the building. He identified the noise and the source.

The guys today, man, they really helped me out. Their work order was done, they were leaving. They could not get that tenant's internet to work. I identified myself as a non-Rogers customer and they still stuck around. In the end, they went back, got 102's internet working, found the exact source of the noise and removed it. So kudos to them for that. Which reminds me, I had a Link On guy do my install last year - also top notch.

Mike

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I see.

So once the ball was finally rolling (which was the REAL hard part, as company politics against TPIA is involved), everyone in the field seemed to properly play their role.

The Rogers guy diagnosed things, fixed some of them, and left bread crumbs for today's guys to follow.

And today's guys also had good intuition.

As well, there were two of them, which sometimes gives a chance to brainstorm about a solution - not just a helper to hold a ladder or feed a wire.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. What is astonishing is Rogers' failure to communicate anything back to Start regarding the issues here in this complex, which obviously affected one of Start's customers. They were simply closing tickets with "no problem found, everything in spec", when there were obviously other open tickets in the building with issues similar or worse than mine.

That is truly obscene, that they are allowed to get away with that, particularly when their last mile seems to be so... fragile.

Given the amount of money Start pays Rogers every month (I can't even imagine) it's beyond ridiculous. This needs to bloody well change.

Mike

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

That's what our omnibus file was about, which looks like it's probably going to be rolled into the wireline hearing this fall.

dallas2
@108.168.22.x

dallas2

Anon

How is your internet now have it rant down yet