HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer

Re: [rCable] Down in Scarborough

I think thats when the modem tries to acquire signal too many times and fails.
HiVolt

HiVolt to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

No dispatch.

Not sure how many tickets have been opened with Rogers, but I know of one for sure that was closed by Rogers with "no issue, everything within spec".

Back up now. That was 3 hours.

I'm at wits' end I tell ya. We'll be swapping modems shortly. If that doesn't fix things... man oh man...

Mike

Classic Robbers like always... I've been fighting with them at work (Rogers biz 60/10) with intermittent packet loss for the past few weeks... Just as clueless...

If a modem swap doesnt fix it then i dunno, you'll have to go back to DSL hehe, cuz swapping cable ISP's wont make a difference.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

If a modem swap doesnt fix it then i dunno, you'll have to go back to DSL hehe, cuz swapping cable ISP's wont make a difference.

I'm fairly certain it's not the modem, but the swap is a prudent thing to do just to eliminate it. Thanks to rocca of course for suggesting this and initiating things on Start's end. Top notch.

This may be something I just have to live with. I have 5G of data on my wind phone that seems to be backing me up fairly well. I knocked the package down, so $57 a month is a lot easier to swallow than $96.

The DSL here is sketch, at best. Notwithstanding the stinger they'll put me on, the cable they ran terminates at aging equipment in a phone closet that is physically inside someone's apartment. Access to that closet is limited to M-F, 9-5, by written agreement. The tenant in that apartment has unfettered access to the closet (it is not locked) and all the equipment.

Mike

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Maybe you need to bake them a cake and ask them to stop unplugging your stuff.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Or buy out their lease and move downstairs.

But START with the cake.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
You guys are too much fun.

Mike

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Hey, we all are such a riot that if we ever got together and ran a mortuary, we could convince folks that there is 'fun' in a funeral !
rockfire
join:2011-01-28

rockfire to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
I would be giving that cake to the guy/girl that lives in the apt with the wiring closet.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

It's a guy. I've seen him.
I'll put a steel file in that cake.

Mike

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to rockfire

Premium Member

to rockfire
said by rockfire:

I would be giving that cake to the guy/girl that lives in the apt with the wiring closet.

I do believe that Rocca was suggesting exactly that.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Click for full size
This is a cruel joke
...and down again.

Unf**kingbelievable.

Mike
rockfire
join:2011-01-28

rockfire

Since this is not a specific Start issue, someone in your building with Rogers must be seeing the same issue. Do you know anyone in your Bldg with Rogers?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by rockfire:

Since this is not a specific Start issue, someone in your building with Rogers must be seeing the same issue. Do you know anyone in your Bldg with Rogers?

I'll have to ask around. I'm sure there must be a few at least. I'm betting they're not seeing any issues.

Back up again. Couple hours, that one.

Mike
dillyhammer

2 edits

dillyhammer

Premium Member

modem stats
Removed the splitter. The cable TV is disconnected so no further need for it. Straight home run from outside to the modem now.

Power levels are up quite a bit.

Edit: new modem arrived, waiting for provisioning and the old one to drop. I was expecting it to happen in the middle of the night. Old modem still working this morning. I guess Rogers will complete it in the middle of a phone call or SVN sync right?

Mike

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Click for full size
This is what i've been fighting with them directly about...

It'll be fine for a few days, then go nuts like this for a few hours... I call them, they see the packetloss not only on my modem but others in the area... they send a ticket for their guys to investigate and they just keep closing the tickets saying no fault found...

I'm this close to jumping to 50/10 VDSL, but i dont know how i'm gonna do that since this is a 3 year contract (with about 1 year into it).

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Click for full size
That sure looks familiar.

I don't know that I'll go with VDSL, if I decide to sitch cable. It's 25/10 here, no 50. That SmartRG makes me nervous. It sounds like a $30 modem masquerading as a $120 modem.

A 15/1 account gets me 15/700 usable due to the stinger. If I can't get my head around the SmartRG I may have to suck it up with this, on a dry loop.

Man. I just wish to f**k my cable connection would just go back to being the steady rock it was in year 1. This is nuts.

Mike

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

have you actually tried a SmartRG? it's extremely solid in bridge mode or when handling the PPPoE session itself. i'm sure you already have your own router too.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

This is what i've been fighting with them [Rogers] directly about...

It'll be fine for a few days, then go nuts like this for a few hours... I call them, they see the packetloss not only on my modem but others in the area... they send a ticket for their guys to investigate and they just keep closing the tickets saying no fault found...

I'm this close to jumping to 50/10 VDSL, but i dont know how i'm gonna do that since this is a 3 year contract (with about 1 year into it).

Simple - Rogers is not providing you the service as per their contract.

It IS Rogers who does these 'contracts', yes ?
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

That sure looks familiar.....

[Posted Smoke Ping graphs]

This may be a stupid (n00b) question, but if your service goes down, how do you retrieve these graphs ?

Do you start the test before it fails (in case it does fail), leave it to run, and refresh the browser tab of the test later ? (after your other tabs show signs of life again)
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Removed the splitter. The cable TV is disconnected so no further need for it. Straight home run from outside to the modem now.

Power levels are up quite a bit.

Edit: new modem arrived, waiting for provisioning and the old one to drop. I was expecting it to happen in the middle of the night. Old modem still working this morning. I guess Rogers will complete it in the middle of a phone call or SVN sync right?

So if the problem goes away now, you will not know for sure which of these two changes (done during the same period) made the difference.

Strangely, it would be better if neither helped, as it would be a Rogers external thing, as we all have been suspecting anyway.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
I've had smokeping aimed at my connection since April 28th, the day my TV connection was terminated. If that termination was going to result in a "cut in error", or if my connection suddenly became unstable, I wanted some proof.

When my connection goes down I tether to my phone, which is my only backup. That's with Wind, which since April 28th has been more reliable and stable than my cable connection.

If the problem goes away now, I don't need to know if it was the modem or the splitter. I'd be too giddy to care anyways.

But somehow I just don't see that happening.

I was under the impression the modem swap should have been done by this morning (12 hours +/-). Approaching 24 hours, still nothing. This looks like it's going to go sideways on me here.

Mike

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck
said by jmck:

have you actually tried a SmartRG? it's extremely solid in bridge mode or when handling the PPPoE session itself. i'm sure you already have your own router too.

Absolutely agree. I've had one since last September in bridge mode and 100% 50/10 stability in bridge mode, on a lovely stinger.

I wouldn't dare to run it as a router, as I agree its mickey mouse at best. But in bridge, with all the crap disabled it performs flawlessly as a modem, as it should.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
38 hours for the modem swap ticket, nothing. Rogers is a real piece of work.

I'm about to throw my hands in the air and give up.

Mike
dillyhammer

3 edits

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Click for full size
there's the swap
Heh. Modem successfully swapped. The only down time was the time it took me to take the old one out and put the new one in.

Aside from the wait for the old one to die off, pretty painless as rocca said.

edit: Speed has gone to shit though, 14/3 right now, hoping it's just the modem sorting itself out on the network.

edit: Heh. Funny how that works eh? I whine about something, it fixes itself. Speed back to normal 2 minutes later...

Mike

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

whine little more, maybe all of your problems will go away, and possibly never come back

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Click for full size
Down again.

What a fuckin' waste of time.

Mike

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

So when is Rogers going to check your line out? This seems like its gone way long before a tech is dispatched.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

So when is Rogers going to check your line out? This seems like its gone way long before a tech is dispatched.

I doubt they'll roll a tech out. Whenever Rogers checks my line it's working and within spec, ticket closed.

This is just not tolerable any longer.

Mike

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Have you talked to your neighbour to see if you can correlate something they are doing in the apartment to the injection of noise into the line?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

At least we know now that it was not the old modem, nor the splitter.

Is everyone seeing RED now ?

I am.