Search similar:

uniqs

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

[Extension] GoogleSharing dead (finally)

For reference

»GoogleSharing dead?

I've been having trouble with the GoogleSharing proxy over the last few days and this morning it is refusing connections. My bet is that Abine has killed it to try and make people pay for their other service.

Anyway time to kiss Google goodbye and use

DuckDuckGo

PS: I've left the GoogleSharing extension installed in case I accidentally click on a Google link or get redirected to it.
edale
join:2012-01-21
Seattle, WA

edale

What about using Startpage HTTPS?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
What version of Fx do you use? I recently installed Disconnect Private Search.

»disconnect.me/search

It only works with Fx ver 21-25.

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· -search/

It's like Google Sharing.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Actually, after trying a few alternatives, I've settled on Startpage.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

But Disconnect Search lets you use Google privately. I was using DuckDuckGo before I stumbled on Disconnect Search. (I use Disconnect itself for quite awhile now but didn't realize they had this private search also). You can choose the search engine to use with Disconnect so you could use Startpage.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

Click for full size
Startpage is essentially a Google proxy. And it uses HTTPS by default. I know you don't want to use HTTPS but I do--and did with GoogleSharing.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
i didn't want HTTPS because that meant Proxo was bypassed and I like Proxo giving me 100 search results per page at Google and some other stuff at Google is blocked by Proxo and Proxo cleans up the look of the search results page. Disconnect search is https and uses their own search so Proxo is bypassed and I only get about 10 results per page but I really like it so far.

I used Startpage but quite awhile ago so I can't speak to how it is today. I was surprised DuckDuckGo has improved a lot since the last time I tried it....but Google is still the best.

I just put the same search "host file ignored" in StartPage. There are way too many sponsored results and ads both at the top, middle and bottom of the first results page! Plus, like Disconnect only 10 results per page. If I have to live with 10 results instead of 100 per page then I sure don't want ads and sponsored results too. I didn't get ads with Googlesharing and now don't with Disconnect. I think it fitting that a former Google engineer is now partnered with a leader in internet privacy and knows just how to use Google for searching but stay private.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I just put the same search "host file ignored" in StartPage. There are way too many sponsored results and ads both at the top, middle and bottom of the first results page!

I'm not seeing anything that says "sponsored". I'm sure some results are, just as with Google, since nothing is really "free".

I also like Startpage's "View by Ixquick Proxy - Highlight" feature--that is you can anonymously visit result sites via a proxy.

The bottom line is that I'm now (personally) 100% Google free

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I just put the same search "host file ignored" in StartPage. There are way too many sponsored results and ads both at the top, middle and bottom of the first results page! Plus, like Disconnect only 10 results per page. If I have to live with 10 results instead of 100 per page then I sure don't want ads and sponsored results too.

As a regular user of Startpage, I like to setup a custom URL which is a feature of their settings page. 100 results is an option I always turn on among a zillion others. I like how it runs without scripts, too. I get 3 ads at the top followed by 100 results.

DuckDuckGo has a similar Settings/URL setup which I also use on occasion but StartPage is primary.

Hey, we have an ABG thread going (Anyone But Google). (yeah, I know they're Google frontends before anyone jumps in...)