sandman9r
Premium Member
join:2003-11-09
Franklin Square, NY

1 recommendation

sandman9r

Premium Member

All For It

I see this as a logical step to avoid cyberspying. We must keep the Chinese in check. This has nothing to do with helping boost the profits of U.S. companies. Let's not get too cynical.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

Edrick

Premium Member

What? Did you read the article? Avoid cyberspying? Did you read that the US is using our hardware to spy on other countries?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList

Premium Member

and it provides no evidence that it is true.... excellent reporting.

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

Give me two reasons I should for one moment think the US government wouldn't do such a thing? It's not like they have a clean or even somewhat acceptable record of privacy.

ColdWar
@50.182.54.x

ColdWar to Edrick

Anon

to Edrick
said by Edrick:

Did you read that the US is using our hardware to spy on other countries?

Thank God. National Defense is one of the few legitimate responsibilities of the Federal Gov't. That and regulating trade.

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

So it's acceptable for the US to spy on other countries with equipment shipped out of the US. But it's not acceptable for other countries to spy on the US with equipment shipped out of their country?

Just trying to understand your logic in how any of this is considered acceptable.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to Edrick

to Edrick
Are you surprised ? Do you think this is the first time this has been done.
NSA 'owns' Cisco, just as much as China owns Huawei - possibly even more.

Having keys to Cisco through certificates / backdoors, etc. will effectively give you the keys to almost all data. Many servers use F5 or Cisco load balancers to host their SSL certificates. Forge certs or inject data...hmmm.

ColdWar
@50.182.54.x

-1 recommendation

ColdWar to Edrick

Anon

to Edrick
said by Edrick:

So it's acceptable for the US to spy on other countries with equipment shipped out of the US. But it's not acceptable for other countries to spy on the US with equipment shipped out of their country?

Of course. All's fair in war. And make no mistake about it, we are at war. The golden rule doesn't apply. The rule is "Do unto others and stop them from doing unto you". Read Sun Tzu »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th ··· t_of_War

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick to en103

Premium Member

to en103
This isn't having keys, this is the US government intercepting shipments to over seas apparently. Inserting / modifying their own backdoors and re sealing the shipment as if it left the vendor untampered.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

2 recommendations

battleop to ArrayList

to ArrayList
It's on the internet dude. It's true.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick
said by Edrick:

This isn't having keys, this is the US government intercepting shipments to over seas apparently. Inserting / modifying their own backdoors and re sealing the shipment as if it left the vendor untampered.

Does that even make sense? Why open all the boxes when you can use a back door (physical or hardware/software based) at cisco to preload it straight from the factory, if they can insert spies overseas how hard would it be to find someone at a US corp. ready to do as they were told.

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

1) Cisco isn't the only network vendor
2) Not every network vendor is in the backpocket of the NSA / CIA / Other Organization

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Edrick:

2) Not every network vendor is in the backpocket of the NSA / CIA / Other Organization

you're "pretty sure" about that?
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to ColdWar

to ColdWar
So who are we at war with, exactly? Is it fair to breach the Constitution and monitor your own citizens, dragnet style? The myriad three-letter agencies are ONLY seeking to justify their own existence and their enormous budgets. We need to get our shit together, economically and socially, before we worry about China, Russia, or girls being kidnapped in Nigeria.

ColdWar
@50.182.54.x

1 recommendation

ColdWar

Anon

said by 54761437:

So who are we at war with, exactly? We need to get our shit together, economically and socially, before we worry about China, Russia

Russia is being ruled by a Hitler wannabe who is intent on retaking all of Eastern Europe and resurrecting the Iron Curtain. As long as Putin and his KGB cronies rule Russia, they are our enemy.

And China has spent the last 30 yrs gearing up to destroy the US economy. And, unfortunately IMHO, we are complicit in our own destruction by continuing to trade with them. Opening up more of our economy to Chinese trade is a grave error. Keep Huaweii out of US.

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
Where did I say I was "pretty sure"? I left no hint of doubt in my statement.
54761437 (banned)
Durham, NC

1 recommendation

54761437 (banned) to ColdWar

to ColdWar
said by ColdWar :

said by 54761437:

So who are we at war with, exactly? We need to get our shit together, economically and socially, before we worry about China, Russia

Russia is being ruled by a Hitler wannabe who is intent on retaking all of Eastern Europe and resurrecting the Iron Curtain. As long as Putin and his KGB cronies rule Russia, they are our enemy.

And China has spent the last 30 yrs gearing up to destroy the US economy. And, unfortunately IMHO, we are complicit in our own destruction by continuing to trade with them. Opening up more of our economy to Chinese trade is a grave error. Keep Huaweii out of US.

But exactly how are we going to continue along our current trajectory with deficit spending and a $600 billion defense budget? The military does not generate revenue; it takes, takes, and takes. China is a paper tiger. Their economy is hollowed out and they have to keep up massive infrastructure spending to give the appearance of a booming economy. The Chinese cook their books to make their GDP growth look stronger than it really is (sort of like we do). You're putting the cart before the horse. Nothing works without a strong economy.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
lol!
ArrayList

1 recommendation

ArrayList to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick
It is illogical to assume guilt without evidence of guilt.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN

Chubbysumo

The government and corporations do it all the time, why can't we?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList

Premium Member

Prove that corproations do it all the time.
Prove that the government does it all the time.

Make a claim, back it up with proof. Surely you will provide some.
54761437 (banned)
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to ArrayList

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

It is illogical to assume guilt without evidence of guilt.

What evidence do you want? Here's some evidence:

»arstechnica.com/informat ··· e-magic/

How about stop burying your head in the sand and read about the way the NSA has used metadata, which they assured us was innocuous, to carry out targeted assassinations:

»rt.com/usa/158460-cia-di ··· -people/

So, obviously, if they'll hand off geolocation data from SIM cards and other metadata for drone strikes, installing hardware backdoors in domestic and foreign computers doesn't really require you to suspend disbelief.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by 54761437:

Don't bother replying to the troll. No matter what you post he'll either just dismiss it outright or say what they're doing is fine and legal and we shouldn't know or learn about it as "we wouldn't understand it anyway."

/M
54761437 (banned)
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned)

said by mackey:

said by 54761437:

Don't bother replying to the troll. No matter what you post he'll either just dismiss it outright or say what they're doing is fine and legal and we shouldn't know or learn about it as "we wouldn't understand it anyway."

/M

It's fine. When he's flagged as a deviant and a tax cheat by the NSA, and the jackboots kick in his door and waste him, maybe he'll have a couple seconds for reevaluation.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to ArrayList

to ArrayList
I agree, but tell that to the government!
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to Edrick

to Edrick
There is Juniper. Cisco is the biggest network vendor.

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL

Astyanax to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
Edward Snowden
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

Big Brother's Mission is to know all that is possible; the sky is the limit in means.

Remember: British Spy Chiefs Secretly Begged to Play in NSA’s Data Pools

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

Bon Jour!