uniqs
share rss forum feed

hld3
Humm Baby

join:2000-09-12
San Francisco, CA

reply to mags2

Re: Low Lifes

Are you guys feeling a little bitter today? All I did was say that it *is* against the law. I didn't say I agreed with it, or that it was right! mags2, you jumped harshly on brgraham for making a simple comment. And then you jumped on me for "defending the status quo of the RIAA", which I did not do. Why?

And SRFireside, did I say anything at all about people burning mp3's for their own pleasure/use? No, I didn't! I talked about sharing them. Which technically happens to be illegal.

BTW - I happen to have about a terabyte of copyrighted material I've downloaded from Usenet over the years. And I have posted quite a bit of copyrighted material too. So next time, please read what is said a little more carefully before you jump on someone
--
"If she had to know me straight neither of us could stand it" - Richard Hell

[text was edited by author 2002-04-02 16:38:54]

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

said by hld3:
And SRFireside, did I say anything at all about people burning mp3's for their own pleasure/use? No, I didn't! I talked about sharing them. Which technically happens to be illegal.
Well technically file sharing in of itself is not illegal either. As you stated sharing copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner is. I write music and have songs I have written on mp3. When I share them or allow others to pull them off of WinMX it is perfectly legal as I allow it. Lots of songs that are being shared are done so by the owner's consent. I am still taking this illegal file sharing deal with a grain of salt as copyright law states you have to pay royalties when you profit off of copywritten materials. Me passing a song from Meat Beat Manifesto that I want to share doesn't make me any profit.

But as you have said these are all semantics. To be honest it's not you personally that I am sparring with, just the issue brought forth. The best thing about DSLR is challenging views and opinions brought up. I brought up a point didn't specifically address, being this new bill will affect legitimate users. We can disagree on the execution of my point. But don't begrudge me because work is boring today
--
When do I get my freakin' third star?!?!?