goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

3 recommendations

reply to siljaline

Re: Windows XP PCs No Longer Receiving Updates

said by siljaline:

Microsoft continues to reinforce that Windows XP support is over.

No biggie. XP was stable at the end, so big whoop.

A cousin gave my non-technical sister (on disability) his old laptop running XP. We've layered protection, and she's suffered no ill effects since Microsoft stopped support. I have no intention of attempting to upgrade it, because the hardware won't support it. Anyway, at this point it's more stable and secure than my silly neighbor's newer machine running Win7.

Security is more than o/s. People are too quick to discount the human factor.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:18

1 recommendation

And many will forge on with XP for years as folks did with Windows 98SE.

Regards,

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

....Security is more than o/s.

People are too quick to discount the human factor.

Very True

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

And many will forge on with XP for years as folks did with Windows 98SE....

That would include ME - BOTH times - and no ill effects so far.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

said by Davesnothere:

That would include ME - BOTH times - and no ill effects so far.

Windows ME ? [OMG]

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 recommendations

Just li'l ol' ME, not Win ME.

But similar as with Vista, Win ME was not the demon which some folks made it out to be either.

BTW, I still am rather fond of Win2K, and use it even now on an old ThinkPad T22.

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

2 recommendations

reply to siljaline
Anyone have any thoughts on this:

"How to get security updates for Windows XP until April 2019"
»www.ghacks.net/2014/05/24/get-se ··· il-2019/

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Mister_E:

Anyone have any thoughts on this:

applying the tweak worked for me.. using "microsoft update", i got two of the may-updates for my computer, MS14-027 and MS14-029..

i first saw the information about the tweak at "softpedia"..

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Mister_E
Wow! Amazing if Microsoft decides to leave this little loophole open.
Such a simple trick too.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Mister_E
said by Mister_E:

Not so much as it's a flat-out hack.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

i first saw the information about the tweak at "softpedia"..

Citing from the Softpedia article:
quote:
Keep in mind that Microsoft might very well block this trick in some other ways, but it’s still worth a try if you’re yet to upgrade.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to TheTechGuru
My XP Pro SP 2 machine from 2/1/2006 can run Win7 or 8 Pro just fine. Because Windows 8 is 64 bit, I would not be limited to 2GB RAM either. I could add up to 8GB.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
kudos:1

1 edit
said by Mele20:

Because Windows 8 is 64 bit...

Are you sure, or do you mean you have bought a x64 bit flavour already?

»windows.microsoft.com/en-au/wind ··· rial#buy

Notes

If you start your PC using a 64-bit Windows 8.1 installation disc, but your PC isn't capable of running a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll see a Windows Boot Manager error. You'll need to use a 32-bit Windows 8.1 installation disc instead.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Mele20
MS Replies to Registry Hack
quote:
We recently became aware of a hack that purportedly aims to provide security updates to Windows XP customers. The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP. The best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system, like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
»www.zdnet.com/registry-hack-enab ··· 0029851/

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to norwegian
Yes, my XP Pro computer has the last Intel Pentium 4 processor with hyper threading and PAE. I would have installed XP Pro 64bit but it never had drivers and proper support. I have Vista Ultimate 64bit which I could install also. This XP Pro computer was Dell's flagship gaming computer at the time. It has nvidia SLI, RAID, etc. Actually, Everest Ultimate reports it can use 16GB RAM with a 64bit OS. (I thought it was limited to 8GB RAM with a 64 bit OS as that is what the Dell manual says). Yet nvidia (it's an nVidia motherboard) screwed up and it is limited to 2GB RAM with 32 bit OS (that was the only thing I didn't like about it as I ran multiple virtual machines on it and the RAM would get really low...otherwise, it was AWESOME when new. It would be nice to put a 64bit OS on it but then I would need to buy all new RAM, all the same brand, same lot, etc as it is very finicky as many Pentium 4 hyperthreading processors were. Plus, it needs new optical drives.

»ark.intel.com/products/27487/Int ··· -MHz-FSB
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
Nice P4. I'm guessing it uses DDR2. Unfortunately, DDR2 is a tad bit expensive and not the easiest thing to come by. Still, if you can find a 4GB or even an 8GB kit, that machine should run 64bit Win7 nicely. It would probably run 8.1 even smoother.

Nanaki
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Barberton, OH
reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

....e modern operating system, like Windows 7 or...

Honestly if you can aford a few bucks windows 7 starter + comp that was running xp is a great combo. The machine will run better and more stable than it ever did. I run 7 ultimate on a 1.8ghz p4m with gig of ram (32 bit ver of 7) and it runs 10x better than it ever did on xp. Bit of a pain to find drivers for the vid but eh don't need em honestly. I did find the driver for vid however just a pain in the rear. If i recal win 7 starter 32 bit is just $75 quite a cheap upgrade to get a hefty performance boost for a old comp imo

Parad0X787
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
Premium
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB
reply to siljaline
Ooops ..... SORRY, Randy for the overdue topic

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

Honestly if you can aford a few bucks windows 7 starter + comp that was running xp is a great combo. The machine will run better and more stable than it ever did. I run 7 ultimate on a 1.8ghz p4m with gig of ram (32 bit ver of 7) and it runs 10x better than it ever did on xp. Bit of a pain to find drivers for the vid but eh don't need em honestly. I did find the driver for vid however just a pain in the rear. If i recal win 7 starter 32 bit is just $75 quite a cheap upgrade to get a hefty performance boost for a old comp imo

I thought that 'Windows 7 Starter Edition' was not sold a la carte, and was only installed as OEM by PC makers of netbooks and such. (I own a netbook which came that way.)

Has that changed ?

Nanaki
Premium
Barberton, OH

1 recommendation

my bad miss read the amazon product discription. I seen the upgrade from starter to home. But regardless its stupid cheap for 7 home premium. Found like 6 dif sources or it for between 55 for a low and 70 for a high and it includes 32 and 64 bit installs of it in same package. So yeh i misread the product info it happens. But still cheap cheap cheap upgrade for a performance boost. At least as cheap as a ram upgrade.

Xp was always a bit bloated as a os. 7 can be if you just install and go but with a little time (half a hour) reading blackviper tweak guid for windows 7 you can make your system scream compared to a fully tweaked xp home or pro install.

Better security better performance fewer problems with newer software comparability wise etc all points in favor of a upgrade to 7 only draw back it can be on the hard side to find drivers for some older video cards. But not imposible.

Elite

Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

I've found that the entire driver experience has seemingly gotten better with each new version of Windows. Drivers on XP were kind of a clusterfuck. I mostly skipped Vista, so I won't comment on that. 7 has always seemed to do a very good job with having good out-of-the-box driver support, as well as many "good" drivers available on Windows Update. Support for older hardware has been pretty fantastic. The only real disaster I could think of was a very old P4 machine which had a very ancient on-board Intel graphics chip which had no driver support whatsoever in 7. I believe I was stuck using the generic "microsoft display driver" or whatever it's called. Couldn't use Aero, but at least the monitor resolution and color depth were correct. It was totally bearable. Could've probably bought a cheap AGP card for the machine, but why bother spending the money.

Nanaki
Premium
Barberton, OH
said by Elite:

was a very old P4 machine which had a very ancient on-board Intel graphics chip which had no driver support whatsoever in 7. I believe I was stuck using the generic "microsoft display driver"

Yeh that was my issue as well just that mine is a old ati radeon onboard. My cpu is a 1.8 ghz intel p4m well the lappy is a evo n800v dang good machine for its day and still gets along just fine for say youtube general web and even emulated playstation believe it or not. As for aero etc on old machines id not bother with it to much of a drain. But win 7 will give you the right click functionality on task bar pinned programs such as google chrome etc. So yeh modernizing a old comp with 7 is well worth it. Don't get me wrong for its day xp home or pro was great for its time but its time is gone. So with win 7 able to breath new life in to older machines why not?

Way i see it there's plenty of reasons to upgrade and few reasons not to. Win 7 home 55 bucks and you'll give that old system another 2 or 3 years of solid usable life. Let the kids bang around on it se it for a carry around ,play older pc games on it final fantasy 7 runs perfectly fine on my old laptop. It did with xp pro and just runs smoother than it did now on win 7.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Nanaki
I dom't agree. GUI wise XP is at least a million times better than the ugly Win7 with the bloated taskbar and pinning crap and the ugly, rounded corners. Win7 looks fat and slow. One of the things I like about Win 8 is that Microsoft got rid of the bloated, fat, sluggish look on the desktop. It looks like XP.
--

Nanaki
Premium
Barberton, OH
isnt about looks. looking bloated or not is meaningless as far as performance goes. As far as apearance goes you can turn it all off or make it look nearly exactly like xp. As for win 8 and 8.1 i don't know how they would do on older systems i suspect about as good if not as good as win 7. As for the rest pinned apps etc xp had that as well it was called quick launch. Same difference just 7 made it better with right click menu to do things like for example open incognito tab or accessing a recent site from the task bar in chrome and other browsers.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by Nanaki:

....As far as apearance goes you can turn it all off, or make it [Win 7] look nearly exactly like XP....

OK, for starters, how do I make the way too tall title bar (or is it the menu bar, or both - I forget) in Win 7 app windows less tall, like in XP ?

Ya don't get to set much of the UI to 'Classic' in Win 7.

Vista did not present me with that issue.

Nanaki
Premium
Barberton, OH
said by Davesnothere:

OK, for starters, how do I make the way too tall title bar (or is it the menu bar, or both - I forget) in Win 7 app windows less tall, like in XP ?

Right click >>> task bar properties >>> check use small icons.
That will cut the height in about half or a little better.

to get a win xp theme go here for tutorial (haven't used this i like default 7 theme with small task bar icons) Having said that sevenforums is prob the best windows 7 and 8 help etc site online at the moment

»www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/77 ··· yle.html

Elite

Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to siljaline
Click for full size
Above is an example of what things can be configured to look like on MS's scary Windows 8.1 OS that everyone is afraid of.

This guide shows you the above settings but on Windows 7 instead of 8.1. I personally always swore by the small taskbar and disabled combining. I also unpinned everything, which simply involves right-clicking the pinned icon and selecting "unpin". You can make 7 behave exactly like XP. You can do the same with 8.1. I'm typing this post on 8.1.

Edit: but wait, there's more! This guide shows you how to turn on the "Classic" theme in Windows 7 and make it look just like 2000! Sadly, this feature has been removed from 8/8.1. But it works in 7!!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Nanaki
I don't think you know a lot about GUIs for various versions of Windows. Quick Launch bears ZERO resemblance to Win 7 and 8 taskbar pinning. I used Quick Launch on 98SE, XP Pro, Vista Ultimate, Windows 7 public beta, and now on Windows 8. Quick Launch is far superior to pinning IMO. Plus, Quick Launch is a neat menu list that pops upward from the taskbar. Pinning is a sprawling, gigantic, not even understood what a right angle is on Windows 7, UGLY piece of junk that if you did not have a wide screen monitor but a far superior 5:4 ratio LCD took up all the room on your task bar. Pinning was a very badly thought out piece of junk that even on my new 24" wide screen Dell Ultrasharp monitor still cannot be used as my task bar is FULL without any pinned junk! I didn't even know there was anything on right click for a taskbar item until I'd had Windows 8 for months. When I finally looked, there is nothing there that is USEFUL! It was extremely difficult to get Quick Launch to work right on Windows 7 public beta (I was told that improved in the final version of Windows 7 but I have never used it so I don't know if that is true or not).

Give me the right to use CLASSIC Windows GUI with the right to make all adjustments to the GUI that I could do on Vista and earlier with no problems and I am happy. On Windows 7 public beta (I never had full Windows 7) it was very difficult to use CLASSIC Windows and after you made a theme and painstakingly got the GUI as you wanted it and saved the theme, it would be missing if you had to shut down the computer and boot up again. So, you had to do it all over again.

Then Microsoft decided to inflict further pain (wouldn't have thought that possible) on hapless Windows 8 users who happened to need to buy a computer at a time when the OEMs were selling ONLY Windows 8. The only way to even be able to do something as BASIC AND SIMPLE AS CHOOSE YOUR WINDOWS FONT on Windows 8 is to purchase and use Stardock's WindowBlinds. That is outrageous. I can't easily read the crap font that Microsoft made God on Windows 8. I use desktop machines ONLY so I could care less that the font I use as my Windows font (Verdana) is a bad font on a tablet. I don't have a tablet and don't want one...nor do I have or want a laptop.

Microsoft did realize on Win 8 though that 90 degree angles do not have rounded corners and went back to the XP classic look for that. Plus, Windows 8 is a superior desktop GUI to Windows 7 because it does not have the FAT BLOATED look of Windows 7. (I don't use Metro side at all and cannot use Metro apps as I have UAC disabled in the registry). It (desktop side) looks sleek and fast ...like XP or even Vista if you use Classic Windows. Plus, with WindowBlinds you can have full Aereo affects on Windows 8 and you can control the appearance of the GUI almost too greatly as I felt overwhelmed by all the things I could control that I had no experience with before WindowBlinds. But I should not have been forced to buy a third party program in order to get Windows to look ok and be USABLE! Microsoft should have continued to make Classic Windows a CHOICE for desktop users and should not have removed Advanced Display/Item list from Windows 8.

--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by Mele20:

....Give me the right to use CLASSIC Windows GUI, with the right to make all adjustments to the GUI that I could do on Vista and earlier with no problems, and I am happy....

AMEN to THAT !

(and to much of the rest of your post)

Nanaki
Premium
Barberton, OH
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I don't think you know a lot about GUIs for various versions of Windows.

Um ive been building repairing upgrading doing spyware and virus clean up for the last 20 years. Ive used every windows version from windows 3.0 to windows 8. As for pinned programs not being similar to quick launch they are similar. you can unpin every single one if you like and pin any program etc that you want. How that is not sim to quick launch i don't see. With pinned you get the extra functions of being able to right click for a program specific menu (recent tabs documents etc) with quick launch you do not get any of that other than new document or new window if i recall. Yeh i suppose you could use a paid program to add other functionality in fact i know you can as i did it with windows xp pro. But i gave it up after my trial expired as i was not paying 30 bucks to keep it.

As for the rest of your post it is just nonsense. Bloated look but non bloated resource (i personally don't see it as bloated looking at all) And again my first post in topic was that it gives a performance boost and it does. In fact it gives a nice big performance boost with zero tweaking and if you want to spend a half hour tweaking it gives a huge performance boost. I personally kept the 7 default theme on my laptop as the gain from going to windows classic was to little and did not really help with the issues i have and have had sense i had a fully bleeding edge tweaked out xp pro. Again you can go to clasic 2k look on windows 7 under right click desk top menu under the personalize option. Your are literally right click > personalize > click windows classic > click ok
That is 1x right 3x left cicks total 4 mouse clicks from classic.