uniqs

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

Does AT&T U-Verse have a $49.95 "Activation Fee"?

I am planning on switching to U-Verse in July.

I've gone through the on-line process and see that it will cost me $100 for the equipment and about $40 a month for Internet but I got a call from an AT&T employee who said that in addition to those other fees there is a $49.95 activation fee.

Going through the on-line button pushing, I never saw such a fee. It seems like I can never get the same answer from two AT&T people. Seems like the special prices, discounts and rebates change a lot too.

I just discovered this forum today so thought I would post here. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this.

my thoughts
@72.135.227.x

my thoughts

Anon

Re: Does AT&T U-Verse have a $49.95 "Activation Fee"?

YES,I may be wrong as states up to $99 (normal charge for a full tech install) the $49 is probably the cost for a self install internet account (tech does outside work only). I know on tv services there is an activation charge.

»www.att.com/u-verse/expl ··· ails.jsp
Promotional pricing applies to service rates only and excludes taxes, equipment fees, and other charges, including a $49 service activation fee, city video cost recovery fees, where applicable, and a Broadcast TV surcharge. Residential customers only. Credit restrictions may apply. Pricing, programming, and features subject to change at any time without notice.

U-verse Internet-only Intro-pricing offer:
Pricing available for new residential U-verse Internet customers. After 12 months, standard rate applies unless canceled by customer. Promotional rates may no longer apply if customer changes their speed tier during term. 12-month term required. Up to $180 early termination fee applies. Internet gateway required. Promotional pricing applies to service rates only and excludes taxes, equipment fees, up to $99 installation, and other charges. U-verse Internet price includes 250GB of data per month. For more information, go to att.com/internet-usage. Credit restrictions apply. Internet speed claims represent maximum speed capabilities. Speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Actual speeds vary based on Internet factors including site traffic, content provider server capacity, device capabilities, and use of other U-verse services. Offer ends September 20, 2014.

U-verse Internet intro pricing for 12 months applies as follows: Basic Internet: $19.95, Express Internet: $24.95, Pro Internet: $29.95, Elite Internet: $34.95, Max Internet: $39.95, Max Plus Internet: $44.95, Max Turbo Internet: $54.95, Power: $64.95. Offer ends September 20, 2014.

Advertised services and speed options not available in all areas. Offers may be modified or discontinued at any time without notice. Other conditions may apply to all offers. AT&T employees or retirees may not be eligible for promotional offers.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

There's that guy anon again.

gadawg
join:2006-01-27
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

gadawg to jadinolf

to jadinolf

Check your online order to see if the activation fee was waived. You will see a charge and credit. It will below your new monthly total as one time charges.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have never seen a Activation Fee. I was just told that in a phone conversation.

I appreciate your response. I'll take a look again.
ram1220
join:2009-07-03
Allen, TX

1 recommendation

ram1220 to jadinolf

to jadinolf

Used to be the installation fee was waved if you ordered Uverse TV along with internet. But for just an internet install there is a fee. I've had 2 friends who recently signed up for Uverse internet but refused to get Uverse TV. They were both charged an install fee.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

1 edit

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by ram1220:

Used to be the installation fee was waved if you ordered Uverse TV along with internet. But for just an internet install there is a fee. I've had 2 friends who recently signed up for Uverse internet but refused to get Uverse TV. They were both charged an install fee.

See, different story every time you ask.
Yes, there is a $100 installation fee. That I can do myself and the say there is no charge if I do. They claim installation takes 4 hours---PLEASE. They can't even tell me if I will own the Gateway. Some say yes and some say no. One guy said the when I leave AT&T I will get my $100 back. Other one says he is lying.

Anyway, I just want Internet and nothing else and I will continue to plow thru the mess that is involved in doing it.

Yes, I am tempted to stay with my existing ISP but it is soooo slow.

Thanks ram1220.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by jadinolf:

said by ram1220:

Yes, there is a $100 installation fee. That I can do myself and the say there is no charge if I do. They claim installation takes 4 hours---PLEASE. They can't even tell me if I will own the Gateway. Some say yes and some say no. One guy said the when I leave AT&T I will get my $100 back. Other one says he is lying.

Anyway, I just want Internet and nothing else and I will continue to plow thru the mess that is involved in doing it.

Thanks ram1220.

I would just order it and if there's any other fee than stated on the website, I would just call up and more than likely they'll credit you for it.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

said by jadinolf:

said by ram1220:

Thanks ram1220.

I would just order it and if there's any other fee than stated on the website, I would just call up and more than likely they'll credit you for it.

Good advice. Thanks

gadawg
Louisville, KY
ARRIS BGW210-700

gadawg to jadinolf

to jadinolf
From what I have read on here, the sales people cannot tell what gateway you will need. It depends on what service you have, distance from the vrad, etc. 4 hours is the possible installation time. The tech may have to run new wires, has to sync equipment. If a
house had no existing coax cable a new cable install would take a while too. Look at your online order summary. It will tell you all the charges. Be aware your first bill may be very high because you are billed for
the next month. Your first bill may be for more than one month service and taxes and fees are added to the quoted monthly fee.

We are adding TV services to our internet service next week. Our activation fee was waived.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

Well, if I could get the same answer from 2 AT&T people it would be great. Apparently they only use one Gateway and it can be hooked to a phone line, if you have a phone or they will bring in a network cable and plug that into the Gateway.

From what I can see, it hooks up similar to my present 2-Wire Home Portal but it is modern and bears the Pace name now.

Thanks for posting.

I'll get back to you folks.

my thoughts
@72.135.227.x

my thoughts to jadinolf

Anon

to jadinolf
The answers are based on type of service which is based on distance.

What does the website allow you to order? Fastest speed? TV service can you order it?

If fastest speed is 18M or slower (12, 6, 3, 1.5, .75) then the service is adsl2+ from the CO (central office) or IRAD (internet ready access device) and the RG is the Motorola 510. Purchased only, 1 year warranty.

If your fastest speed available is 18M with tv available.
This is a long loop install over 2200 feet, if under 3000 feet can purchase RG, the 5031... but if over 3000 feet, this would be a bonded install with a leased ($7/month) 589 RG. Both of these require a full tech install, especially the bonded, no self install available. $99 charge.

If fastest speed is 24 or 45 then under 2200 feet with 24 being single pair install purchased ($100) 5031 while the 45M is a bonded install with leased 589 RG.

Only speed 12M or less is available as customer self installs.
Ordering Max Plus (18), Max Turbo (24) or Power(45) are only full tech installs ($99).

Depending on your environment installs can take 4 hours or more.
I have done an internet only 18M bonded install, with outside line issues.
New drop, NID, cat5 home run, outside tech repair time that took 7 hours.

Thats two techs, plus all new wiring from pole to RG for $99!

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by my thoughts :

If fastest speed is 18M or slower (12, 6, 3, 1.5, .75) then the service is adsl2+ from the CO (central office) or IRAD (internet ready access device) and the RG is the Motorola 510. Purchased only, 1 year warranty.

I wouldn't necessarily say that because we're on VDSL2 and some of my neighbors can only get 12 Mbps because of a terrible database in my area. Maybe we can say that anyone with speeds less than 3 Mbps is ADSL2+?

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

That's the page and I selected Elite which runs either $35 or $39 with the discount for the first year.

Problem is, at least here they have one special after another. So much, I'm afraid to push the BUY button.

I'm not feeling well today but I'll hit it again tomorrow. Thanks all.

my thoughts
@72.135.227.x

my thoughts to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall
Darknessfall, there is the rare 19M profile, has 2HD/2SD IPTV streams with Max (12M) internet as best. When possible, if a 2nd pair exists these are converted to bonded 25M profile. But yes they do exist and I apologize for not disclosing such, truthfully completely forget about this profile as so rare to do an actual install on this profile.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel to my thoughts

Premium Member

to my thoughts
Also there are extended loop installs for 12M or less internet only on a full tech install. The loop has to be less than 4000 ft and always with a 5031. Customer is put on a 13/1.5M profile which is similar to the 12.5/1M on a single pair of a balanced bonded pair.

I've been on a few of these. It seems to help avoid a second truck roll for when there's a perfectly good single pair already setup while there isn't another pair readily available for the second. Just like the 19M profile for out to 3600 ft if I recall correctly.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

Thanks

I'd like to snag one of the AT&T install trucks. Maybe I could get some straight information.

gadawg
Louisville, KY

gadawg

I put in my neighbors address who does not have Uverse. Internet only was $99 installation fee and $100 for the modem. No mention of an activation fee.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

That what I thought.

I appreciate that info.

When I called the AT&T phone number I got a guy in North Carolina. I asked about the activation fee and his answer was it depends where you live. I told him where I live and he could not answer.
Athenian
join:2003-06-29
Los Angeles, CA

Athenian to jadinolf

to jadinolf
said by jadinolf:

They can't even tell me if I will own the Gateway. Some say yes and some say no. One guy said the when I leave AT&T I will get my $100 back. Other one says he is lying.

In my area, you cannot buy the Gateway, only lease. I've been trying to get rid of the $7 monthly charge ever since I dropped the TV service ... which was 2 years ago.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

Amazing. Everything seems to be based on where you live.

I imagine you live within 80 or so miles from here.

Thanks for the reply.
Athenian
Los Angeles, CA

Athenian

When I signed up for U-Verse, you paid outright for the Gateway if you just used Voice/Internet but if you got TV too, you had to get a different Gateway that was lease only. When I discontinued the TV service I asked for the other kind of modem and was told it was no longer available; that everyone was on the lease-only model.

I think it's a bad deal -- especially since they don't offer a gigabit router so you have to use your own if you use your LAN for a lot of large file transfers.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Athenian:

was told it was no longer available; that everyone was on the lease-only model.

That's a lie. Only case where you have to rent a leased modem(other than with TV) is if you're too far or on the Power tier.
Athenian
Los Angeles, CA

Athenian

said by Darknessfall:

That's a lie. Only case where you have to rent a leased modem(other than with TV) is if you're too far or on the Power tier.

In that case, I'll have to look into it again in 6 months when my current concessions expire. I'm not sure how to find out where I am on the "Power Tier" but I'll find out.

My modem would have been paid for many times over if they had let me have the non-TV version.

Thank you for the heads up.

my thoughts
@72.135.227.x

my thoughts

Anon

Athenian, simply...which RG do you have?
The 3800 IPTV is replaced by the 3600 or 5031.
The 3801 RG is replaced by the 5031.
3600 can be shipped, 5031 are tech installed requiring 4 hour repair appointment window. Both units are $100 with 1 year warranty.

Now if have the 3812 inid with an i38hg indoor unit, this is a bonded pair install and is lease only. The newer version, since late summer 2013 is the 589, also a leased RG.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

1 edit

jadinolf

Premium Member

For the record, I signed up for U-Verse and, of course, there was no activation charge. So- the woman from AT&T who is supposed to call me on June 10 is going to be surprised.

After I signed up, I got an email saying thanks and all that stuff and a few minutes later I got another email :
Thank you for your recent AT&T Order. Our records indicate that service already exists at the address you provided so your order could not be processed.

I called and was told that I had to have my DSL disconnected. I asked when they would connect U-verse and the guy couldn't answer so I told him to forget it.

A little later I got another email:
The conflict with working service at the address for your new service has been resolved. We are in the process of completing your request for service. You will receive an email with your account number and activation date shortly.

We do not require any additional information from you at this time, but should you have any questions please call our Web Sales Center during the hours below.

What the heck is with this company?
jadinolf

jadinolf

Premium Member

I'd love to hear from some of you readers.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

said by Athenian:

was told it was no longer available; that everyone was on the lease-only model.

Or on Fiber
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to jadinolf

Premium Member

to jadinolf
Was your existing DSL service AT&T DSL, or 3rd Party/Reseller DSL?

And is the DSL Lineshared with POTS aka a "wet" loop, or is it Dry Loop DSL/no POTS?
ILpt4U

1 edit

ILpt4U to Athenian

Premium Member

to Athenian
said by Athenian:

said by jadinolf:

They can't even tell me if I will own the Gateway. Some say yes and some say no. One guy said the when I leave AT&T I will get my $100 back. Other one says he is lying.

In my area, you cannot buy the Gateway, only lease. I've been trying to get rid of the $7 monthly charge ever since I dropped the TV service ... which was 2 years ago.

This all assumes you are on VDSL2, and your modem is presently fed with twisted pair wiring to the Green RJ-11 VDSL2 port on your existing U-Verse modem:

Go to eBay or Craigslist, and buy yourself a 2Wire/Pace 3600 or 5031 if you want to own a modem. Return your leased Gateway to a local UPS Store with your account number AFTER the new purchased Gateway is activated

Just be careful when going the eBay/Craigslist route, that you get a model with current firmware -- otherwise, you may have one with an expired authentication certificate, and it will not authenticate to the AT&T U-Verse service then, and basically won't work

You could also demand a Tech Visit to change the modem to a purchased unit, but fees would apply for the visit ($99-$149 for tech visit, $100 for new customer purchased modem). But since then it would be provided by AT&T, it would have a 1 year warranty and it will have the working software on it