rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

[TiVo] Rumor has it... T6?

You can call and get a T6 today Heard it from someone , who heard it from someone ...

jamaicaplain
@209.6.141.x

jamaicaplain

Anon

Is the price the same as the Tivo Q or does it cost more?
lart
join:2002-08-19
united state
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4

1 edit

lart to rcnman

to rcnman
how exciting. My main complaint with the Q is you have a choice between hd menus or menus that respond to inputs. From what I've seen of the Roamio the hd menus are responsive! I also wonder if the extra cpu power will make apps like netflix launch faster.

EDIT:
It looks like the pricing is on their website and it's not cheap at $45/month at least in chicago.

»rcn.com/chicago/digital- ··· quipment

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost

said by lart:

It looks like the pricing is on their website and it's not cheap at $45/month at least in chicago.

»rcn.com/chicago/digital- ··· quipment

Same in DC. I want one really bad, but my RCN bill is almost $300/month, and I REALLY can't justify $15 more per month right now. Customer support hasn't been able to drop my monthly rate, either.
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

sbiller1

I suppose you also need to consider that the T6 has the TiVo Stream built-in which RCN was leasing as a separate box.
sbiller1

sbiller1 to rcnman

to rcnman
Note that extra boxes are $5.00/mo on the T6 bundle versus $9.95/mo on the Premiere Q bundle.

machpost
Washington, DC

machpost to sbiller1

to sbiller1
said by sbiller1:

I suppose you also need to consider that the T6 has the TiVo Stream built-in which RCN was leasing as a separate box.

True, but its value is limited on RCN since it's limited to in-home streaming only, and there's been no indication that this restriction will be lifted anytime soon. Though the idea of easily transferring TV shows to my iPad before long flights is certainly appealing.

Keep in mind this $45 price includes a TiVo Preview, so switching from the Premiere Q bundle to the T6 bundle will not save me $5 on the rental of a second box.

And I live in a two TV household, so the extra two tuners and the in-home streaming are less appealing to me than the upgraded storage, and most of all, the faster processor. The Premiere's processing speed is barely adequate. Even the Preview is much faster at running apps.

But most of all, I think it's the way that my cable bill has suffered so many fast and furious increases over the past few years. The $300/month is somewhat of a psychological barrier to me, especially when I have friends around DC, both RCN and non-RCN customers, who are receiving the same or even better services than me, and are paying FAR less than $300/month. It's getting out of control, though I think a seismic shift in the industry is not too far off in the distance, and that will shake up things for sure.
Zahl
TinBoy
join:2003-02-12
Watertown, MA

Zahl to rcnman

to rcnman
Still only iOS streaming? If they ever remove their heads from Tim Cook's rear i will consider this upgrade
jonbrach
join:2005-03-31
New York, NY

jonbrach to rcnman

to rcnman
How is this different than my current setup which allows me to record up to 4 shows at once on my main tivo and also allows me to access the recordings done on the other tivo boxes i have in other rooms?
lart
join:2002-08-19
united state

lart

It can record 6 shows at once. It has twice the storage as the Q. The system is a lot more powerful as it's basically a roamio plus. it's not clear if the T6 has a RF or IR remote.

New Tron
@65.78.93.x

New Tron

Anon

The Roameo plus and Roameo pro all use an RF remote.

robgraves
join:2010-07-23
Chicago, IL

robgraves to rcnman

to rcnman
I want the Roamio, but my partner will kill me if I lose all of his recorded programs again (none of which are copy protected). When I upgraded to the Q it took some time to get over that fact. I currently have a RCN Q, RCN Preview, and retail-purchased Stream.

Can I do the following to preserve our recorded shows:
1) Get the Roamio from RCN.
2) Disconnect the Preview from the upstairs TV temporarily.
3) Install the Q upstairs.
4) Install the Roamio where the Q was downstairs.
I assume they will talk flawlessly via moca and both be on the same TiVo service account?
5) TRANSFER shows from the Q to the Roamio (not stream, but transfer).
6) Transfer my season passes from the Q to the Roamio using Tivo.com
7) After a few days, return the Q to RCN and keep the Roamio and Preview.
8) Put the Preview back on the TV upstairs. (or get a mini now that I can afford one of six tuners to be tied up on the Roamio).
9) Sell my retail purchased Stream on ebay.

Does RCN allow non-copy protected shows to be transferred from the Q to the Roamio?

Can anyone tell me if any of these steps/thoughts are flawed?

I am not sure the pros/cons of Preview vs. Mini, but I think having 6 tuners on the main box should alleviate any cons?

I really wish we could get out-of-home streaming going, but I know that content providers are holding RCN back on this point. Someday its going to be a whole new game out there and the content providers will have little choice.

New Tron
@65.78.93.x

New Tron

Anon

That's exactly how to do it. The benefit of the mini is complete control of the Romeo, unlike the preview the mini can pause live TV, schedule recordings, and delete shows on the Romeo.

new Tron
@65.78.93.x

new Tron to robgraves

Anon

to robgraves
Additionally any show not flagged as copy protected should be transferable.

I have a retail Romeo and iPhone 5, and out of home streaming is not good. If you want reliable out of home streaming, get a Slingbox. It works every time and the quality is much better, fewer dropouts and better quality video.

machpost
Washington, DC

machpost to robgraves

to robgraves
The only benefit that the Preview has is the cable card, so it can tune channels on a standalone basis, and channel surfing is a bit faster.
hydrox
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Lexington, MA

hydrox to rcnman

Premium Member

to rcnman
said by rcnman:

You can call and get a T6 today

Mine is being installed on Tuesday. The T6 w/2 Minis will replace the Premiere w/1 preview and one basic box for $10/month extra for my particular Cable TV, Internet & Phone Bundle package.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to sbiller1

to sbiller1
said by sbiller1:

If you have a TV with built in WiFi (like Samsung UN55H7150AF) do you need need just a T6?

robgraves
join:2010-07-23
Chicago, IL

robgraves to rcnman

to rcnman
Why do we have to have a truck roll for a Roamio swap with a Q?
FBM
join:2002-07-25
Chicago, IL

FBM to rcnman

to rcnman
They wanted an extra $30 for me to switch my whole home bundle to the T6. I'm in the 2nd year of my promo and they weren't going to discount a new package at all. Forget that!
jonbrach
join:2005-03-31
New York, NY

jonbrach

i have a similar issue,itried to upgrade to the t6 but was told it would cost me an additional 25 dollars a month so I said pass
fyodor32768
join:2014-05-05
Washington, DC

fyodor32768 to rcnman

to rcnman
I am trying to game out the costs. It looks like extra boxes are cheaper on the Roamio package. Does my current Tivo Premiere whole home package include the cost of the Tivo Preview? Or am I paying 12.95 for it? I'm trying to decide it's going to cost me an extra 15 dollars or 7 dollars a month.

dmginc
join:2014-04-27
united state

dmginc to FBM

to FBM
Just say you're cancelling. Then they'll come around.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to fyodor32768

to fyodor32768
said by fyodor32768:

I am trying to game out the costs.

My understanding is $29.99/mo TiVo Premiere Q Whole Home Bundle includes your primary TV and one satellite TV
(additional TiVo boxes $9.95/mo)

The new package is $44.95/mo TiVo T6 Whole Home Bundle also
includes your primary TV and one satellite TV
(additional TiVo Minis $5.00/mo)

So if you have 5 TV's the cost is the same.