uniqs
deserttfoxx
join:2014-05-14

deserttfoxx

[DSL] Dark soul 2 Connection issue.

Click for full size
forwarded ports

Hello,

I currently have teksavvy dsl 25 package.
Sagemcom Fast 2864 modem

I am trying to connect online to dark souls 2 but it will not let me connect. At first i thought perhaps it was my game and log in info, but i decided to try disabling my modem, and using my phones data and tethering and with that i was able to connect.

I am trying to find out what would block my modem from connecting but not my cellphone. (Cellphone data if i use my cellphone + modem wifi i am still unable to connect).

I spoke on the phone with teksavvy, they told me they do not block any ports, we even did a factory reset and i am still unable to connect.

I went through and did port forwarding but i am not sure at all if i did it correctly, if someone could provide me assistance, or if someone is playing dark souls 2 and had this same issue and figured out a solution i would greatly appreciate it.

These are the ports that are supposed to be opened.

Steam Ports

UDP 27000 to 27015

UDP 27015 to 27030

TCP 27014 to 27050

UDP 3478

UDP 4379

UDP 4380

Additional Dark Souls II server ports:

DSII Ports:

TCP 3478

TCP 3479

TCP 3480

TCP 5223

TCP 8080

TCP 50011

UDP 3478

UDP 3479

UDP 3658

UDP 49167-65535

TCP: 50000 ~ 50100

UDP: 50000 ~ 50100

I took a screen shot of my connection hub, hoping if i did something wrong someone could point it out.
henry128
join:2010-09-03
Hillsboro, OR

henry128

I have no experience with gaming, but there is something odd about your setup.

e.g.,
Forward port 27000 to MasterFoxx-PC's port 27030.

I think you intended to say "forward ports 27000 through 27030 to MasterFoxx-PC's port 27000 through 27030", but I think your current setting means forward one port. i.e., an incoming connection to port 27000 will be redirected to port 27030.

I would try turning off port forwarding, at least for those rules where the source and destination port differs. Many protocols (especially UDP) are able to get around NATs without port forwarding, and forwarding to a mismatched port number is probably worse than not forwarding at all and letting the protocol try to figure it out.
elitedev
join:2013-05-05
Chatham, ON

elitedev to deserttfoxx

to deserttfoxx
If you want to forward a range of ports (eg UDP 27000 to 27015 and UDP 27015 to 27030), you can and should do this with a single rule. Currently, your port forwarding is not implementing the required rules properly. You can specify this example range in the following format: 27000-27030. Make sure you set both the source and destination port ranges the same in this case.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to deserttfoxx

to deserttfoxx
you don't need to forward any ports to connect to a game server, you'd only need to do any forwarding if you were trying to host a game or run a server yourself.

if you're not actually hosting anything, remove every port forward entry and consider also getting a better modem if you're renting since the Sagemcom is garbage at a lot of things.
deserttfoxx

deserttfoxx

I do not know much about modems, would would be a replacement that could do what needs to be done.

As for the port forwarding, the support website recommends that i open these ports to fix any issues, is there a difference between port forwarding and the act of opening a port?
henry128
Hillsboro, OR

henry128

Big difference. "Opening" a port means allowing traffic, which is the usual case unless you're behind some corporate firewall that tries to limit what Internet services you can use.

NATs (what you usually use at home), allows traffic to go through, but can only serve incoming traffic after at least some outgoing traffic has occurred. Many protocols (especially with UDP) already know how to cope with this. This is still usually considered "open".

Port forwarding is used when you're expecting unsolicited incoming traffic, such as running a server. The problem (simplified) is that the router doesn't know which internal machine it should send incoming traffic to unless there was some previous outgoing traffic it can match. Port forwarding hard-codes what to do when unsolicited incoming traffic is received.
deserttfoxx

deserttfoxx

If its not the ports, and i already disabled windows firewall, what could cause a game to not be able to connect at all through the connection hub, but it is able to connect if i use my cell phone to connect my pc to the internet.

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006 to deserttfoxx

to deserttfoxx
Do you have UPnP enable on your router?
deserttfoxx

deserttfoxx

yes i do have it enabled, should it be disabled?

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

1 edit

Maxx2006

I have it enabled I do not play games but my son does on his XBox without any port forwarding done, not that this seems to help you though.

I have read in some forums for kinds of ports forwarded and one says just to Forward port 3074 on TCP and UDP. That comes from this forum

»www.reddit.com/r/darksou ··· _needed/

TSI Kris
Premium Member
join:2013-11-18
Chatham, ON

TSI Kris to deserttfoxx

Premium Member

to deserttfoxx
Hey deserttfoxx,

I've played the same game (and its prequels) far too many hours without any changes to my system without any issues. The original Dark Souls had P2P connections hence the need for some finicky port forwarding in certain scenarios. The second one connects to a server for its multiplayer. There shouldn't be any need to forward anything and I know I haven't. That being said I do not use the Sagemcom as I am on cable.

You could try setting the modem into bridge mode and setting up a dialer on your computer. This may help if there's an issue with the modem itself. If you're not sure how, give us a call or let us know here and we'll get you all the steps .

Best of luck! Praise the sun! Don't go hollow (though everyone does).

TSI Kris
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00 to deserttfoxx

to deserttfoxx
you may want to see if your steam account ever had VAC ban assigned to it.

if it did, then you'll never be able to play DarkSouls 2 online ever, as I've heard that steam doesn't ever review VAC bans.

you can friend/family share the game to anothe account though and play it fine on that new/unbanned account.

you can look this up on google, just search for steam vac bans and dark souls 2.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

it's working fine when he connects to his cellphone, so it's not a VAC ban. it's some issue between the Sagemcom and his windows setup.
deserttfoxx

deserttfoxx to Gami00

to Gami00
Even if it was a VAC ban which it is not, they disabled VAC completely May 8th 2014 at 11pm pst.

But like i said before, when i connect to the internet using my cell phone it works flawlessly.

ive tried factory resetting this thing, port forwarding, i have no idea what else to do, i can barely find any information about this modem, teksavvy says they dont even support it anymore.
deserttfoxx

deserttfoxx to TSI Kris

to TSI Kris
Id like to try this, could you tell me how.

Calero27
join:2014-01-13
Chatham, ON

Calero27 to deserttfoxx

to deserttfoxx
Not sure if you've been on the Steam forums for this game yet but there are quite a few people having issues connecting.
henry128
Hillsboro, OR

henry128 to deserttfoxx

to deserttfoxx
The modem does PPPoE pass-through by default, so there's really nothing to set up. Just create a new PPPoE connection on a computer attached to the LAN port of the modem, and it should connect...

digiwth
join:2012-09-21

digiwth

To expand on that, I am fairly sure you need to factory reset the Sagemcom to clear the PPPoE login as there is no other way to clear the credentials, otherwise it just automatically manages the connection.
deserttfoxx

deserttfoxx to Calero27

to Calero27
Ive been all over steam support.

Steam told me to open a ticket with namco, namco told me to open a ticket with steam.

Also, every third response on steam forums is someone telling me i deserve it for being a VAC banned cheater. So i am not making any progress at all there.

I know its a modem issue, just trying to figure out how to solve it. An earlier poster mentioned bridge mode, i have no idea what that is, if someone could explain it i would appreciate that greatly.

digiwth
SmartRG SR808ac
Asus RT-AC86
SmartRG SR505N

1 edit

digiwth to deserttfoxx

to deserttfoxx
You shouldn't need to forward ports at all, Steamworks should handle all NAT traversal. I would try again after removing all the port forwarding.

As someone pointed out earlier, the screenshot you posted earlier show a couple errors (different target/destination ports, for example) and would actually cause more problems than no forwarding, which is probably why it works on your cellphone connection, but not your home connection.
deserttfoxx

deserttfoxx

I deleted all of the ports i forwarded, actually did a factory reset. Same issue still exists.

digiwth
SmartRG SR808ac
Asus RT-AC86
SmartRG SR505N

digiwth to deserttfoxx

to deserttfoxx
Well if you wanted to try connecting diretly:

From my understanding, factory reset the modem, plug your computer in to LAN1, then setup a PPPoE connection on your PC (»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· internet) with your @teksavvy.com credentials
deserttfoxx

deserttfoxx

Bridge mode worked, but i dont quite understand the mechanics of bridge mode, what is going on exactly?

Why is it that i can connect in bridge mode but not when the modem is running normal.

What exactly is bridge mode. Is it simply connecting the pc to the internet by bypassing all of the built in modem internal firewalls etc?

digiwth
SmartRG SR808ac
Asus RT-AC86
SmartRG SR505N

digiwth

It is essentially skipping the router, yes. Your computer is connected directly to the internet with no NAT.

I would go back in to your router now, and confirm that the factory reset did remove all your port forwarding/DMZ, and try again. If it still doesn't work after confirming those settings are removed, there might in fact be a problem with the device.
henry128
Hillsboro, OR

henry128 to deserttfoxx

to deserttfoxx
Welcome to the messy world of NATs. They're everywhere, and most things work most of the time in spite of them.

The Internet is a big network of computers that talk to each other by sending packets to each others' addresses. But you have only one IP address but many computers connected? It appears that way, but you really don't. You have a NAT (network address translation/translator, also often informally called a "router"): Its job is to tamper with your traffic and lie to the "external" side that there is only one computer (i.e., itself), and lies to all the computers on the internal side to make them think they're actually connected to the Internet, by changing the addresses of packets as they pass through the NAT. Usually, both sides are fooled and things work well. Usually.

Bridge mode causes the NAT on your modem-router to be bypassed (turning it into a modem only), thus connecting your computer directly to the Internet (using PPPoE). Now you really have one Internet-connected computer, with no tampering in between.
deserttfoxx

deserttfoxx

well i disabled bridge mode went back to normal and now the game is working with the original settings suddenly, but i have no idea what changed.

TSI Kris
Premium Member
join:2013-11-18
Chatham, ON

1 edit

TSI Kris

Premium Member

Hey deserttfoxx! Glad to hear you got it working. Sorry that I wasn't around to give you the instructions (not sure how happy they'd be with me posting when I'm not at work :P EDIT: Quite happy in fact!) but the good fellows here had you covered by the looks of things. Actually had a faster method than I would've suggested, hah.

Very curious that it started working all of a sudden after the bridge mode and then returning to routed mode, but as henry128 mentioned, it's all part of the wondrous world of NAT.

Enjoy!