uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chubbzie

join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

Re: Mozilla agrees to add DRM support to Firefox

Woke up this morning in a cold sweat dreaming of a future completely encapsulated in DRM. I fell to my knees in severe paranoia realizing my favorite web browser, Mozilla's Firefox will soon bow to the necessary evils of the Interwibbly. It was at that point I came to the conclusion this was all due to my lack of showing any financial support to the Mozilla Foundation. I have since remedied that issue and hope that many other users will do the same.

A browser is a terrible thing to waste...

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to siljaline
The solution is to use the Proxomitron with Sidki's (JJoe's) config 2011-12-22. I went to that "edge" color scheme test page and it loaded very fast (248KB/sec) and used the same amount of RAM mentioned in the Mozilla blog as being what Fx uses there when Adblock Plus is NOT installed.

Plus, I don't know what has changed recently but I installed a Microsoft patch earlier this evening that I missed on Tuesday (and Belarc Advisor told me about). I had to reboot and, afterwards, when I started Fx again (60 tabs to load and separate window for a Microsoft feedback question), I was puzzled and amazed. Fx gave me a popup saying it was loading itself too slowly...not true...it loaded all 60 tabs and the second window with the Microsoft survey just as quickly as as it always does (I almost always choose load previous session when I start Fx). So, I have no idea why Fx thinks it is loading too slowly. I scratched my head on that. Then I looked at Task Manager and was really surprised! Only 13% RAM being used and that is with Fx with 60 tabs. Usually, just with Fx running the RAM usage is at least 18% even right after a reboot. So, I am scratching my head (delightedly) about that also. I have Sea Monkey with 30 tabs running also now and my RAM usage is still low...at 15%!

What does this Adblock stuff have to do with DRM on Fx?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Chubbzie
said by Chubbzie:

A browser is a terrible thing to waste...

It is. Especially Mozilla -- who are digging themselves an early PR Nightmare Grave.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to siljaline
I myself do not support DRM. I think it causes more problems then its worth.

that being said, as long as this EME is "Optional" and requires me to download it and install it to use it, then I can live with that.
'

DRM open many times opens major security vulnerabilities which IMO has NO PLACE as part of the core web browser....as a plug-in that must be downloaded and installed by the end-user...fine...baked into the browser with no way to remove? no way!

Here is just 3 examples in the recent past that DRM vulnerabilities that left computers wide open to attack and compromise due to the fact the DRM was present:

»www.sophos.com/en-us/press-offic···nxe.aspx

»www.slashgear.com/major-security···0240879/

»boingboing.net/2010/09/24/micros···kes.html

Do you really want something like that "baked into the browser" with no way to remove it or disable it? I sure as hell don't! considering the browser is the #1 attack surface channel, we don't need to add another tool to the bad guys arsenal that they can use to attack web users..

Mozilla made the right move here, making it an "optional install" but its not baked in or required....I won't use a browser that has this DRM baked in....DRM is just prime for vulnerabilities......

I think the best policy when it comes to this is to have the DRM an optional add-on that can be enabled and disabled at the users preference...kinda like how you can disabled Adobe Flash plug-in....because if this is baked and built into the browser i guarantee you the crooks will take advantage of this and use it to compromise people's systems...just like they used ActiveX back in the day until Microsoft finally locked it down in Vista.

Just my 2 cents...im glad Mozilla is making it optional, choice is always good.
--
Tech Tips

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to siljaline
Why Brendan Eich had to go (Vox Popoli)

quote:
It looks rather like the failure of the Mozilla executives to defend CEO Eich from the Gay Mafia campaign being waged against him may have been at least in part due to the desire to remove a major obstacle to DRM being added to Firefox. Consider these three blog posts from three Mozilla figures, including Eich:
Fwiw, I'm seeing a lot more discussion of Mozilla on non-tech sites, and the overall impression isn't good.

quote:
Eich stood firmly in the way of Mozilla incorporating DRM into Firefox. Now that he's gone, and his technological authority with him, Mozilla immediately caved to Hollywood interests. It's also interesting to note that the justification for Mozilla making this change is given as fear that users will abandon them. ... As of yesterday, Firefox still represents 21 percent of the traffic here at VP, although it is down from 34 percent historically. But at least 8 percent of the overall traffic, (and nearly a quarter of the former Mozilla traffic), now uses Pale Moon.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Brendan Eich is still the owner of the Mozilla Ownership Module System. He hasn't gone anywhere. He's still top dog...just out public sight.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Woody79_00
> Do you really want something like that "baked into the browser" with no way to remove it or disable it?

Do you really want something like that baked into the OS? And Linux?

(Just saying.)

said by "Goalieskates" :
I don't want DRM on my machine. If that means I can't watch certain things, so be it.

Agreed.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
So, your monitor is extremely old...like about 2003? And your OS is 98SE?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to therube
said by therube:

> Do you really want something like that "baked into the browser" with no way to remove it or disable it?

Do you really want something like that baked into the OS? ....

Before I read that article, my mind's eye conjured up a horrific montage of the Internet Exploder browser' itself being integrated into Windoze.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Yeah, I couldn't figure out therube See Profile comment because DRM has been baked into every OS since XP and you can't get rid of it. In the case of Windows, the user has NEVER been given a choice of DRM added or DRM not added. In the case of Fx, Mozilla will be saying to the user: you have a choice. Do you wish to install this or not?
--