spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hybridmunky
join:2014-05-14
Centereach, NY

hybridmunky

[OOL] two modems,one house

The end of this month i will be moving into a basement apartment. The landlord currently has optimum service but i would like like my own internet. Is it possible to have two modems in one house?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Sounds like the start of a bad Youtube video...

Yes, you can have multiple modems on the same account. However, if it's a landlord / apartment type setup, you should have your own account. It may even be cheaper for the first year if you open a new account.
cowbawx
join:2002-03-04
Lawrence, NY

cowbawx

Well, it depends on what kind of apartment it is.... but I would say ask the Landlord if they would add an additional OOL modem to their account and just add the price to your rent. Depending on what kind of apartment is... getting triple play promo would be a good idea... but that's also up to the Landlord. Not you, since you do not own the property.
hybridmunky
join:2014-05-14
Centereach, NY

hybridmunky

I have talked to the landlord and he has agreed to charge me for tv and the extra modem.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to cowbawx

Anon

to cowbawx
said by cowbawx:

but that's also up to the Landlord. Not you, since you do not own the property.

I believe that is incorrect. If it's a legal apartment, you would be required to have your own cable service and billing. The landlord cannot split the TV and/or Internet service with you without an agreement to do so with Cablevision.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

1 recommendation

moes

Premium Member

people make agreements all the time, Legal or not. up to them, not you.

Boooost
@24.190.184.x

Boooost

Anon

And people steal cable TV all the time, too.

FallenAnjel
join:2011-04-07
East Cupcake

FallenAnjel to Boooost

to Boooost
Even in an illegal apartment cable still wants you to have your own account. IMHO it's only for them to make money. What's the difference if you have 4 tv's in your own house or you have 2 tvsand a tenant has 2? The boxes are being paid for so what's the problem? Same goes for internet. I have six devices connected to my router. (usually not all at once). But what's the difference if a homeowner has 2 connected and they "offer" their wifi to a tenant and the tenant has 2 connections. That's actually less than I have on my own. How is it "stealing" ?
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
you do realize how hard that is getting right? that's mostly a thing of the past now. plus I pay my room mate for my part of the cable bill. care to yell at me? I will yell back.

CBV
@69.115.241.x

CBV

Anon

Technically you should have your own account. The real problem comes up if you have to make changes to the account or need access to the IDs, or something illegal happens on the service, etc. The landlord is opening himself up to liability and the tenant is opening himself up to the possibility he might get his services cut off or changed without the ability to resolve it.
cowbawx
Lawrence, NY

cowbawx to Boooost

to Boooost
[see answer to moes... that's exactly what he/she said]

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to hybridmunky

to hybridmunky
I don't think Cablevision will allow you to just open a second account on a house. If they did what would stop someone from opening a new account to get a promotion and then cancel the other one? I'm going to guess that Cablevision has some kind of standard for what they consider to be an apartment. Otherwise they likely don't care what you do as long as they get their money.
cowbawx
Lawrence, NY

2 edits

cowbawx to CBV

to CBV
He doesn't need an ID unless he has OV or needs Optimum Wifi... and even he does landlord could possibly make him one, that he just logs into to add MAC addresses for wifi... I'm not condoning illegal use, but just saying it's possible. Dude (OP) not the greatest place to post that here, since Cablevision employees monitor it and your IP address... I would stay off this topic once he does it. Although I helped someone and Cablevision told me I was trying to charge people for helping them. *shrug* -- RIDICULOUS! Anyway I digress....he can always make changes with the landlord, after all, the landlord already approved of all this.... so that point is kinda moot.
said by CBV :

Technically you should have your own account. The real problem comes up if you have to make changes to the account or need access to the IDs, or something illegal happens on the service, etc. The landlord is opening himself up to liability and the tenant is opening himself up to the possibility he might get his services cut off or changed without the ability to resolve it.

cowbawx

cowbawx to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0
Absolutely correct - single family house = ONE account. If they create another it will override the previous. But again, if this is a multi family dwelling, all legal and legit. Then it is possible to create an account. You'd have to do the math of paying full price for everything and splitting it with someone else or not, and how much a promo would be. TV + OOL = No promo. To my knowledge anyway.
said by Jmartz0:

I don't think Cablevision will allow you to just open a second account on a house. If they did what would stop someone from opening a new account to get a promotion and then cancel the other one? I'm going to guess that Cablevision has some kind of standard for what they consider to be an apartment. Otherwise they likely don't care what you do as long as they get their money.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to FallenAnjel

Anon

to FallenAnjel
said by FallenAnjel:

Even in an illegal apartment cable still wants you to have your own account. IMHO it's only for them to make money. What's the difference if you have 4 tv's in your own house or you have 2 tvsand a tenant has 2? The boxes are being paid for so what's the problem? Same goes for internet. I have six devices connected to my router. (usually not all at once). But what's the difference if a homeowner has 2 connected and they "offer" their wifi to a tenant and the tenant has 2 connections. That's actually less than I have on my own. How is it "stealing" ?

OK, then, I'll just run coax and Ethernet to all of my neighbors, have one CV account, and my neighbors can pay me for their share of the service. The boxes are being paid for so what's the problem? And I'll share my Internet with them, too. How is it "stealing"?