uniqs

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon

Re: [Windows] Allow reboot for WU unless certain program is running?

If it ain't broken, don't try and fix it!!!!

Its working just fine doing the research data control or collection and shouldn't even be touched, unless something is broken and you are specificy requested to apply an update.

It creates IT overhead? why is that?, just have it setup in a GPO that never does updates, very simple

I strongly suggest you inventory what does what and make sure your not breaking critical systems with useless windows updates.

lhvetinari
yaW gnorW
join:2008-09-26
Kenosha/Chgo

lhvetinari

said by guppy_fish:

Its working just fine doing the research data control or collection and shouldn't even be touched, unless something is broken and you are specificy [sic] requested to apply an update. .

Exactly. Assuming these machines are ONLY used for monitoring/collecting data from instruments over local busses, updates should be a non-issue. Really, these should not even be on the network to minimize risk.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano to guppy_fish

MVM

to guppy_fish
Scheduled maintenance windows.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to lhvetinari

Premium Member

to lhvetinari
said by lhvetinari:

said by guppy_fish:

Its working just fine doing the research data control or collection and shouldn't even be touched, unless something is broken and you are specificy [sic] requested to apply an update. .

Exactly. Assuming these machines are ONLY used for monitoring/collecting data from instruments over local busses, updates should be a non-issue. Really, these should not even be on the network to minimize risk.

For reasons related to organization-wide policies beyond my control, the machines must remain networked. Assume that's the case and they are connected with a publicly-accessible IP address.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

It creates IT overhead?

The IT overhead is that these machines, not participating in automatic updates, have to be updated manually when the time is right. Somebody has to keep a list, check it twice, etc.

Pain in the ass.