Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

[TV] AMC / Halt and Catch Fire / June 1

Could be interesting... I rather like Lee Pace so I'll be tuning in.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Q8ei3PBg

and

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· wF8XyD-8

among others.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

»[TV] Starting up in June

It does look interesting. Though to me it seems unrealistic that a woman would be into computers that far back. I dunno why, maybe because all the names associated with the early computer craze were male.
Other then that one nit pick this early on, it might be an interesting show.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to darcilicious

MVM

to darcilicious
The characters look as if they are modeled after Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. I honestly don't see the point of that and IMO is a bit off-putting.

However, beyond that small point I think its worth a look see.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

darcilicious to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Though to me it seems unrealistic that a woman would be into computers that far back.

I first started programming in 1980 (and fell in love with it) and I know older women who started before me.

The fact that you know of so few women in computing is not (just a) reflection of the lack of women involved but of the sexism still inherent in the field

For your edification: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wo ··· orldwide

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

2 recommendations

SixOfNine to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Rear Admiral (and computer scientist) Grace Hopper was a driving force behind COBOL.

Barbara Liskov introduced the Substitution Principle in the 1980s. I read about it in grad school using the textbook that she wrote, Program Development in Java.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to darcilicious

MVM

to darcilicious
When my Wife and I were in college she majored in Computer Science and I in Electrical Engineering. There are always exceptions and exceptional people that stand out. I think my Wife would be the first to admit that there aren't enough women in the field since she had few female students with her when she was in school and today has very few female coworkers.

I'd stop short of thinking in terms of sexism though. People tend to think about what they want and what they themselves think they are capable of when thinking about the future in terms of academia / employment.

All my classes dealing directly with Engineering (or associated prerequisites) had either few or no female students. I didn't see any signs of discouragement that would lead to this and if I did I would have fought against it.

There is a phenomena at play here but I don't know what it is.

All I can say is that I hope both my daughter and my son will pursue something in the field of science / engineering. Encouragement may be the key,...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Suffice to say that the fact that most people don't even realize that the first person to be considered a "computer programmer" was a woman leads to comments like the one above. The fact is that women have been interested in programming from the very start.

As to why people aren't more aware of this and why there are so few women in the field (even fewer now then back when I was in college for my degree in electrical engineering in the mid-80s) is way off-topic. Personally, I no longer even try to have a reasonable discussion about it online (and haven't for more than a decade).

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I wasn't trying to get off topic and if I did I apologize.

I think its fairly clear that women were and still are in the field and that was basically all I was trying to address.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Oh, no, I just meant that *I* wasn't willing to go there As you will, however, no worries here!

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Suffice to say that the fact that most people don't even realize that the first person to be considered a "computer programmer" was a woman leads to comments like the one above. The fact is that women have been interested in programming from the very start.

As to why people aren't more aware of this and why there are so few women in the field (even fewer now then back when I was in college for my degree in electrical engineering in the mid-80s) is way off-topic. Personally, I no longer even try to have a reasonable discussion about it online (and haven't for more than a decade).

Back when I was in college, out of 100 classmates, there was only 2 females. One ended up dropping out. The other graduated.
Back then there was a scholarship available for women that wanted to take male dominated courses. Not sure if it's still around now or not.
I have a cousin who has been programing for a state for nearly 20 some odd years. She loves it.
The last job I had, out of 15 bench techs, there were just 2 female techs. Dunno why the number was that low, but it was. Though I never really gave it much thought, I just figured women just aren't that interested in electronic repair. If they were, they'd be doing it. The opportunity is there, though I think it's changing rapidly. Meaning now most stuff you just swap boards and that's it.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
The only people I learned about, were all male. Hence why I stated what I stated. When we touched upon programing languages, the creator of the language was never really mentioned. Just the language how it interacted with the chips we were using. Then we just used assembly language.

Then again, I never was into programing as I found dull and boring. My interests lay in the physical stuff.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Interesting 1st episode.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

»[TV] Starting up in June

It does look interesting. Though to me it seems unrealistic that a woman would be into computers that far back. I dunno why, maybe because all the names associated with the early computer craze were male.
Other then that one nit pick this early on, it might be an interesting show.

I hear this show is based on Compaq.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Now that is interesting. I never owned a Compaq computer, because of their way of making everything "Compaq only". Kinda like how Apple does that with Apple, only Compaq failed to develop the "walled garden" that Apple has.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

Now that is interesting. I never owned a Compaq computer, because of their way of making everything "Compaq only". Kinda like how Apple does that with Apple, only Compaq failed to develop the "walled garden" that Apple has.

Well Steve Gipson on security now and Leo mentioned the show is about the start of Campaq, just with the names changed.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

And on TWIT they said the show sucks, so I am wondering if I'm even gonna watch it.

On the topic of women in computur science: In Photonics school only 3 women enrolled, 1 dropped out, one failed, and one was at the very top of the class. I was a student ambassador at school and took young women on tours of the school and literally pleaded with all the young women to consider a tech or science career, I took them to our labs and showed them how cool the stuff is. Many of the girls acted like they really didn't want to be there, but there were always those girls that got it.

The women that was at the top of our class also had a big influence on me, she gave me some very powerful advice that changed my life. I helped her in lab and she helped me in exam prep, she was really bright, wasn't as good in lab, but she was plenty good enough, one of the best students ever.

Sexism isn't as much of an issue was the women themselves failing to want to even try a tech field. Yeah, there is sexism, but women in academics are way ahead of men in academics nowadays, in fact, men have been marginalized in college in some cases.

Women can basically do anything they want, but they've got a hill to climb, because there are still men that are threatened or bigoted. But the focus shouldn't be equality so much as complementarisation. Men and women can complement each other with their unique ways of thinking and working. Women can do things men cannot and it can be very reciprocal. Equal pay, equal rights, equal opportunity, but complementary hand in hand working is the key. Some of my best bosses were women and I got along with them well. I get along with women bosses better than male bosses.

There really are not enough women in science, it's quite sad.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

1 edit

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I've been watching it. It's ok. As I'm not a hard core computer geek, I am not sure how "exact" they are when it comes to describing the operations that POST and BIOS does before the OS boots up. I know some of the stuff, as I can work with hardware. But when it comes to code, that just isn't my thing.

The drama is ok. I guess if you like Mad Men, you might like the drama in this show.
I do give it props for the "earthy" geek chick. I saw earthy because in one scene they did a shot of her hairy arm pits. Not bad.
quote:
Women can basically do anything they want, but they've got a hill to climb, because there are still men that are threatened or bigoted. But the focus shouldn't be equality so much as complementarisation. Men and women can complement each other with their unique ways of thinking and working. Women can do things men cannot and it can be very reciprocal. Equal pay, equal rights, equal opportunity, but complementary hand in hand working is the key. Some of my best bosses were women and I got along with them well. I get along with women bosses better than male bosses.

I've only worked with a small amount of women in the electronics area. One was a former Marine, and basically nothing phased her, and she rolled with the punches. A fun person to have around. The other had a engineering degree, and was like a yapping little dog. She was a mean bitch and very unpleasant to work with. I dunno if it was because she had ovaries and a point to prove. Meaning "I am female and hear me roar". Or if she lacked confidence in her leadership abilities she had to snap at everyone to get them to do what she wanted.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
It's an ok show. I don't really know (or care) how accurate all of the code stuff is, but the drama is not bad.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Renewed for a second season...

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

That's really good news.
For some reason, Halt is one of the few shows on TV that I can't wait to watch after it airs.