share rss forum feed

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Best Way To Clean A Windsheild Full Of A Sappy Substance

**Attn. Mod: If this is in the wrong place, kindly put in proper place**

I have several Hybrid poplar trees in and around my yard. In the spring they drop this nasty (and I mean nasty), substance all over the place. I think it's the outer shell of newly forming leaves.
They stick to the bottom of your shoes, you track them all over the house, and its hard to get them off completly. They are extremely sticky.

My problem (besides the above mentioned), is these things stick to the windshield and don't let go. You could be doing 100mph down the road and they wont fly off.
If you peal them off it will still leave this sticky gooey stuff behind, and the sun will dry it out and make it as hard as a rock. It destroys windshield wipers in a matter of a few uses of them.

Only way I have been able to get rid of this stuff is to use a straight razor. And that doesn't rally remove it completely.

I'm looking for any suggestions as to a chemical or something that I can use to get rid of these and is safe on glass.
Using a razor has proven to lightly scratch the glass...so I need other ideas.
I went as far as trying a little bit of gas in a small area and all that does is smear it around and make the sticky stuff cover even a larger area.

Please help! This is driving me insane

Thanks
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Wet the windshield, then clean with Bon Ami (powder or cake) and rinse.
Bon Ami is safe on glass.

lostinms
Moo

join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS
reply to Robotics
I used super clean to get dried dog nose prints off my living room window. And used it on my stove so it may work on your wind shield. But be careful don't know what it would do to paint. I know when I work at Walmart tire and lube express we use to use it to clean the shop floor but had to quit cause it was eating up the oil/water separator.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
reply to Robotics
A bit of paint thinner will disolve that crap.
I've been planting other species for 15 years and now I'm cutting those nasty poplars down. I figure it'll take me another 10 years to be rid of them.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

1 edit
reply to Robotics
dup

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Robotics
Bon Ami and a razor blade. Check first that your windshield does not have a plastic top coat (laminate) as you have to use plastic razor blades on those types of coated glass.

Pacific Handy Standard Single-Edged Industrial Razor Blades, Box Of 100
»www.amazon.com/Pacific-Handy-Sta···+Scraper

25 Plastic Double Edged Razor Blades and Titan Scraper
»www.amazon.com/Plastic-Double-Ed···04623NU2
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to Robotics
Thank you all for the responses!

I believe my windshield does have the plastic coating since using a razor bade scratched the glass/plastic. And it was a new blade with no nicks, etc.

Looks like I'm gonna get some of that Bon Ami and give it a try.
Thanks again
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to Tig
I don't like these trees at all. I just had one about 120 tall fall in my front yard about a month ago. I did not plant these...they were here when I moved in.
I don't think they should be anywhere near a residential area.
Lots of roots above ground. Trees start sprouting from the roots. I have nothing good to say about them other than they are great for the shade, but that's about it.
--