spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

Birmingham all digital date?

Has anyone heard about when the metro Birmingham area will be going all digital? I'm assuming it might be staggered depending if you're on Leeds or Gardendale?
browncoat
join:2008-12-02
Montgomery, AL

browncoat

Calling the national number is hit or miss, but about two weeks before the transition you should receive a flyer in the mail. Hope it is soon for you.
InTheKnow
join:2013-12-17

InTheKnow to mixdup

to mixdup
July

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

Well, July isn't too bad.

I'm not necessarily worried about the internet speeds, but I really want to see those new channels

RollTide
@68.114.35.x

RollTide to mixdup

Anon

to mixdup
July 2014

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

Just got a robocall today from Charter announcing the all digital switch, looks like July was accurate. No letter in the mail yet with a firm date, but I assume that will be coming very soon.

If you go to www.charter.com/digitalnow and put in a Birmingham-area address and click the channel lineup, the 577 channel all-digital lineup is available. I like what I see!

RollTide
@68.114.35.x

RollTide

Anon

Rollout in Bham area will start July 8th, I'm not sure of exact order.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

RollTide,

Do you work for Charter? I'm curious if we're ever going to get local forecasts on The Weather Channel HD in Birmingham?
emak0
join:2009-08-28

emak0 to mixdup

to mixdup
Hate to sound like an idiot here, but what's the significance of all digital?
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

It depends on the QAM modulation in use but last I heard, 6 digital channels can fit in the bandwidth of 1 analog channel. Getting rid of the analog channels frees up immense bandwidth for other TV channels and/or more internet bandwidth.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by JoelC707:

It depends on the QAM modulation in use but last I heard, 6 digital channels can fit in the bandwidth of 1 analog channel. Getting rid of the analog channels frees up immense bandwidth for other TV channels and/or more internet bandwidth.

It's not just that, but all the channels are already carried in digital format, so they're being duplicated. By going all digital, they are eliminating the analog duplicates, freeing space for new channels or internet capacity.
Mitch9
join:2014-05-24
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

Mitch9 to mixdup

to mixdup
Confirmed July 22nd

Go to channel 902

bama1fan
Roll Tide Roll
join:2001-01-26
Talladega, AL

bama1fan to mixdup

to mixdup
July 8, 2014 for Talladega, Alabama. Got the phone call and the notice in the mail. We have been getting "channel not available" on some our HD channels here in Talladega. I hope Charter switching to all digital will fix these channels. If not I'll be giving DIRECTV or Dish a call.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

Yeah, Birmingham is confirmed July 22 according to analog channel 90. Guess it got pushed back a few weeks. The channel lists "Montevallo, Helena, Altadena, Inverness and surrounding areas"

Would be interested to see what others around town are seeing. Maybe all of Birmingham won't happen at once?

caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor to mixdup

to mixdup
Click for full size
Here are the dates I am given on channel 902 in my area near 280 on 119 in the Greystone area. Now, when my DVR turns on, it defaults to ch 902.
watts3000
join:2002-01-21

watts3000 to mixdup

to mixdup
I would like to ask will this improve HD quality? I went back to Directv last year because Charter's HD looks horrible compared to Direct's. If Charter had better HD and DVR's I would use them for TV instead of Direct.

RollTide
@24.241.208.x

RollTide to caseywor

Anon

to caseywor
Click for full size
As I said July 8th. MixedUp I'm checking into the Weather Channel question, headend is a busy place these days so tough to get an answer.
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej to watts3000

to watts3000
Difficult to say. In my market Charter HD already looked better than DirecTV before the all digital switch. But a few years earlier, before SDV, it was indeed terrible as you said. After the switch, the HD quality did not change, but the quantity did.

I was also spoiled by DirecTV and Dish DVRs, so I use my own at Charter (WMC and Ceton InfiniTV), and it's fantastic. Tivo would also be a good option.

So in my market at least, Charter is better and cheaper than DirecTV in terms of picture quality and lineup.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to RollTide

to RollTide
said by RollTide :

As I said July 8th. MixedUp I'm checking into the Weather Channel question, headend is a busy place these days so tough to get an answer.

Awesome, thanks.

What's the difference between the areas that are July 22 vs. July 8? Montevallo, etc is still fed out of the Leeds headend, right? The geographic distinctions for Charter are weird. Leeds, Northport, Jasper, and Talladega are all fairly far apart from each other.
Jammers
join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

Jammers to mixdup

to mixdup
Is there supposed to be a channel on our system that's announcing the digital transition? I don't see anything on any of my stations yet and the transition is on July 15th.

RollTide
@24.241.208.x

RollTide to mixdup

Anon

to mixdup
Leeds is the master headend for the state, but I'm not sure how they picked the order to do things.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to Jammers

to Jammers
said by Jammers:

Is there supposed to be a channel on our system that's announcing the digital transition? I don't see anything on any of my stations yet and the transition is on July 15th.

People are saying channel 902 around here, but I don't have a charter set top, only a TiVo with cablecard and it hasn't been added to the official lineup, so it doesn't show up on my TiVo. I did connect an analog TV and there is an analog barker channel on channel 90 as well.

So, around here channel 902 (digital) and 90 (analog)
Jammers
join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

Jammers to mixdup

to mixdup
Well just checked 902 and it's there. Probably been there for a week. LOL
Jammers

Jammers to mixdup

to mixdup
Deleted

caseywor
Mobile, AL

caseywor to RollTide

to RollTide
I honestly would have expected Mixedup will see it on July 22 since Calera is the next town over, 7 miles or so, from Montevallo. Isn't Calera served from the Montevallo headend near CR 22 north of Montevallo?
caseywor

caseywor to mixdup

to mixdup
Does anyone on here have specific information about the Westover/Chelsea/Harpersville area? I know that area has some kind of secondary headend in Westover on Cheshire Dr. The reason I ask is that I know an older retired person living in that area that still has an old cable ready analog TV. I will probably have to guide them on this.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to caseywor

to caseywor
said by caseywor:

I honestly would have expected Mixedup will see it on July 22 since Calera is the next town over, 7 miles or so, from Montevallo. Isn't Calera served from the Montevallo headend near CR 22 north of Montevallo?

Yes, Calera will be July 22. The channel in Calera says "Montevallo, Helena, Altadena, Inverness, and surrounding areas".
mixdup

mixdup to caseywor

to caseywor
said by caseywor:

the Montevallo headend near CR 22 north of Montevallo?

BTW, where exactly is the "Montevallo headend"? I've always been interested in knowing where it's at.

caseywor
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor

Click for full size
Actually a few miles north of Montevallo. Go to the intersection of Shelby County 22 and AL 119, go west bound on 22 for nearly a mile, make a right turn on Stephens Dr., it is up a little on the left. That is a private road, but probably no big deal to drive up it. See my jpeg, there is a circle around it.
caseywor

caseywor

Click for full size
Another view