spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bushleaguer

join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

No More External Hard Drive For QIP-7232?

I've been having video issues and without going into all that I had a technician out who was looking into the functionality of my DVR. Long story short, I was told that the problems I've been having stem from the fact that I have an external hard drive hooked up to my 7232 DVR and that (possibly due to firmware updates) no external hard drive is supported by this DVR.

Before I jump off the deep end and start calling up Comcast, has anyone else run into problems with this DVR and their external hard drive, let alone heard anything about this (no more compatibility)?

Thanks.

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
said by bushleaguer:

I've been having video issues and without going into all that I had a technician out who was looking into the functionality of my DVR. Long story short, I was told that the problems I've been having stem from the fact that I have an external hard drive hooked up to my 7232 DVR and that (possibly due to firmware updates) no external hard drive is supported by this DVR.

Works fine for me. The tech you saw was clueless.

That said -- I once had a failing hard drive attached to my 7232-P2 (which was not actually the hard drive itself but the case it was in) which was causing the DVR to freeze and reboot frequently. So this is more likely to be your issue....

marc3565

join:2009-10-08
kudos:1
reply to bushleaguer
Can you disconnect the hard drive temporarily to see if this makes any difference to your issue?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to bushleaguer
What are your "video issues?" If you describe them in detail maybe someone can offer advice.

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
reply to sbernstein5
said by sbernstein5:

said by bushleaguer:

Works fine for me. The tech you saw was clueless.

That said -- I once had a failing hard drive attached to my 7232-P2 (which was not actually the hard drive itself but the case it was in) which was causing the DVR to freeze and reboot frequently. So this is more likely to be your issue....

That's what I've been thinking.....either that or the router.

Here's the caveat in regards to the External Hard Drive, however.....the video issues only occur during playback on the remote boxes. I can play stuff recorded from the Ext. HD on the DVR for hours on end and there's not video issues at all.

And just to mention....it wasn't the tech who made this claim, it was his boss on the phone.

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
reply to marc3565
said by marc3565:

Can you disconnect the hard drive temporarily to see if this makes any difference to your issue?

That's what I'm going to do but if the issue is that the external hard drives no longer work with this box then that is an even bigger issue (I really don't want to go back to budgeting my DVR space by recording things in SD).

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
reply to PJL
said by PJL:

What are your "video issues?" If you describe them in detail maybe someone can offer advice.

Thank you for the offer, but I signed up for the in-house wire maintenance plan and have already had two trips from the technician so since I'm paying extra and I've done just about every troubleshooting move imaginable I'm going to see if they can fix it.

On a side note - I understand that they cannot do unnecessary repairs but these "one step at a time" visits are making me take the day off and lose a day's pay. I know they're busy but I hope they would take that into account.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
The supervisor was wrong - eSATA support is still valid for the 7232, 7216 and the Cisco 435's....If you have a remote playback issue from the DVR, that indicates an in-home MoCA problem.

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
reply to bushleaguer
I'm using two 7232's, both of which have working external hard drives. Clueless tech. That being said, you could have a hard drive or cable problem.

marc3565

join:2009-10-08
reply to bushleaguer
said by bushleaguer:

but if

"temporarily to see if this makes any difference". Let's start by validating if the it's got any relation to the external drive. If you disconnect the drive and still have issues with playback on a remote box with something on the STB hard drive then they have to work to fix it and can't dissmiss it claiming your issue is with the external drive.

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ

1 edit
reply to bushleaguer
Thanks, everyone, for easing my suspicion that I was going loco with this whole "this DVR does not accept external hard drives" nonsense.

As for what they have me doing now - disconnect the external hard drive, let the DVR record on the internal HD and see if the problem persists - this is something that I tried a month ago. The tech told that he knew that I told him that I had disconnected my external HD and still had problems but they want me to give it a try. Again. So that's what I'll do if that's the next item on their punch list.

Update: And it took about 20 minutes before something recorded on the DVR's hard drive to start up with the video glitches. So much for the external hard drive.

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
reply to nycdave
said by nycdave:

The supervisor was wrong - eSATA support is still valid for the 7232, 7216 and the Cisco 435's....If you have a remote playback issue from the DVR, that indicates an in-home MoCA problem.

Dave - do you think that the router could be the issue? I have the newest one (Rev. I) and it's about a year old or so but I've been wondering if that could be the troublemaker.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
Highly unlikely the remote DVR playback issue is related to the router.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bushleaguer
You likely have a signal quality issue between the boxes, so they can't stream HD from one to the other. Start simple, reseat ( disconnect, reconnect ) all the coax connectors on both boxes, wall jacks and splitters. 99* out of 100* times that will resolve signal issues

( * made up number )

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
reply to bushleaguer
What nycdave said. You have an in home coax or splitter issue.

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

You likely have a signal quality issue between the boxes, so they can't stream HD from one to the other. Start simple, reseat ( disconnect, reconnect ) all the coax connectors on both boxes, wall jacks and splitters. 99* out of 100* times that will resolve signal issues

( * made up number )

Thanks, but I've done that and the Verizon tech went around the house and did that, so that's out.

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
reply to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

What nycdave said. You have an in home coax or splitter issue.

Possibly a coax problem.....the Verizon tech swapped out all of the splitters and did signal tests at every port.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
I don't know the magic power button or screens, but you can look at the MOCA stats from the STB, that will tell you if there is an signal issue ... you'll have to search for that info

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
Or you can check MoCA stats from the router. It would seem to be more efficient as it shows the entire MoCA LAN stats there.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to check MOCA stats?

bobcamp177

join:2010-06-23
Cicero, NY
Why can't the box itself be bad? I've had video problems caused by a bad box before.

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
said by bobcamp177:

Why can't the box itself be bad? I've had video problems caused by a bad box before.

Sure, it could be the box (I'm assuming you mean the DVR). Given that fact that I've been mailed 3 new DVR's to correct the same problem I would say the odds that I keep getting defective units are pretty low.

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
reply to nycdave
said by nycdave:

I think you're going to end up right, Dave. They were supposed to send a tech with a device that tests the MoCA but instead they had the same signal tester and swapped out the ONT.....still not fixed. So the next step is to test the MoCA (which would have been nice if they had done that in the beginning). I also got some flack over how how many times the lines are split but Verizon did the initial install that way so I didn't know what to tell them.

Just to rant for a second.....Verizon used to be on top of their game when it came to customer service and tech problems. So far I've missed 4 days of work due to 3 tech visits and one tech conference call that never happened. I've dealt with 2 technicians and 3 supervisors and the whole thing has turned into a big mess. You know it's bad when you call your boss the night before day 4 and he says, "What did Verizon do.....adopt Comcast's customer service manual?"

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
Northport, NY
How many stbs do you have? Can you draw a diagram or describe your set up. I am concerned when you say you have many splitters.

Betamax76

join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA
reply to bushleaguer
said by bushleaguer:

Just to rant for a second.....Verizon used to be on top of their game when it came to customer service and tech problems. So far I've missed 4 days of work due to 3 tech visits and one tech conference call that never happened. I've dealt with 2 technicians and 3 supervisors and the whole thing has turned into a big mess. You know it's bad when you call your boss the night before day 4 and he says, "What did Verizon do.....adopt Comcast's customer service manual?"

From your comments the last couple months, it almost certainly is a bad piece of coax. How easy is it to replace all the coax? While RG-6 is superior to RG-59 in almost every way, RG-6 is less flexible than RG-59 and "misbehaves" more at high frequencies if subject to a sharp bend or pinched by a staple.

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
said by Betamax76:

said by bushleaguer:

From your comments the last couple months, it almost certainly is a bad piece of coax. How easy is it to replace all the coax? While RG-6 is superior to RG-59 in almost every way, RG-6 is less flexible than RG-59 and "misbehaves" more at high frequencies if subject to a sharp bend or pinched by a staple.

That was my second thought (my first thought was my external hard drive was the problem) but the tech went to every coaxial connection and did his signal testing and it came back fine. It wouldn't be all that difficult to replace all the coax but again, the signal strength came back ok. Maybe the MoCA test the will hopefully do next will say different (or point to the specific problem).

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
reply to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

How many stbs do you have? Can you draw a diagram or describe your set up. I am concerned when you say you have many splitters.

I have one DVR and 4 StB's.

The set-up is as follows: The main line (from the street) comes to one side of the house. From the ONT the line is split 3 ways.....2 to two STBs, one a long run through the attic to the other side of the house. Once you get to the other side of the house the line splits outside 3 ways......one to a STB, one to a terminal in a room that will be used in the near future and the last into a bedroom. The line that goes into the bedroom is split 3 ways.....one to the DVR, one to the last STB and one to the router.

So that's three 3-way splits. How this affects the overall system has so far depended on who I've talked to from Verizon (one person said it's too many splits, one said it's fine and one said it can be split 10 different ways and it doesn't matter because of the high signal coming from the street).

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
Northport, NY
There should be no more than 3 splitters, as you have. The person who said you could have as many as you want has no idea what he is talking about. That said I would worry about the coax thru the attic. All coax should be RG6 , I have replaced thousand of feet of supposedly good rg59.
do the STBs close to the DVR have issues or just the ones on the front of the house off the 1st splitter? I would defiantly try to rewire your set up to eliminate at least one of the splitters, probably by new runs on the far side of the house ot 1 6way splitter with one leg capped. Or forget about that dead leg for now and just use a 4way
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Three splitters?? My signal is so hot I have an eight way on the ONT output and I can split that three more times(with two way splitters) before going into my six tuner TiVo(which is split internally) and the signal is still way more than strong enough.

bushleaguer

Gillette, NJ
reply to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

There should be no more than 3 splitters, as you have. The person who said you could have as many as you want has no idea what he is talking about. That said I would worry about the coax thru the attic. All coax should be RG6 , I have replaced thousand of feet of supposedly good rg59.
do the STBs close to the DVR have issues or just the ones on the front of the house off the 1st splitter? I would defiantly try to rewire your set up to eliminate at least one of the splitters, probably by new runs on the far side of the house ot 1 6way splitter with one leg capped. Or forget about that dead leg for now and just use a 4way

Yeah, I was told that my 7232 DVR does not support external hard drives so there is no shortage of folks who don't know what they're talking about, unfortunately (even I knew better).

I checked the cable in my attic and it's RG6 (as Verizon installed many years ago). Didn't see any kinks or other potential trouble spots. As far as rewiring to reduce the splits, I asked one of the techs about that and he said that doing so made no difference......in other words, you can use a 6-way as opposed to two 3-way splitters but you're still going to have the same amount of signal loss. Just passing along what the expert said.

I just wish that the next time they are scheduled to come that they bring the MoCA meter and anything else they can think of.....this "one small step at a time" approach has gotten old and if I get offered yet another replacement DVR I'm going to pull my hair out.

Betamax76

join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA
said by bushleaguer:

I checked the cable in my attic and it's RG6 (as Verizon installed many years ago). Didn't see any kinks or other potential trouble spots. As far as rewiring to reduce the splits, I asked one of the techs about that and he said that doing so made no difference......in other words, you can use a 6-way as opposed to two 3-way splitters but you're still going to have the same amount of signal loss. Just passing along what the expert said.

If the coax cable encountered a kink when it was pulled through the attic and then was straitened out a few minutes later, the damage was already done even though it appears to be fine now. Lower frequencies would likely pass just fine through the damaged cable.

One centralized splitter with a home run coax line to each box is definitely preferable when dealing with Moca. Yes the loss might be the same as cascaded splitters, but Moca works by splitter jumping (lower port-to-port isolation splitters are best). The Moca website recommends no more than one layer of cascaded splitters. Two layers of cascaded splitters is pushing it because the recommendation is for no more than 18 db of total attenuation.

Eventually, the wireless client IP boxes will be released and only one coax wired server (or two if you have more than 5 HDTVs hooked up) will be required. Maybe Verizon figures the more time that passes, problem installations like yours will be solved by wireless client IP boxes.