share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

[SU] 10.9.3 Update available

»www.cultofmac.com/279235/os-x-10···ailable/

Updates for 4K displays.
The ability to sync contacts and calendars between a Mac and an iOS device using a USB connection
Improved reliability of VPN connections using IPsec
Safari 7.0.3 is also included
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

joeybee
Joey
Premium
join:2003-08-12
Hamilton, ON

Just tried to update from App Store. Install failed. Then tried the combo update and it failed too. Something strange going on here.

TheAnalyzer

join:2006-01-20
reply to donoreo

Updated without any issues.

Used Software-update.

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to donoreo

Installing now on my work 2008 Mac Pro via software update.
--

joeybee
Joey
Premium
join:2003-08-12
Hamilton, ON
reply to donoreo

Tried a 3rd time with the combo and it worked this time.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to donoreo

Three attempts to install it on my 2012 Mac Mini. When it was finally installed I had a bunch of small jpgs, originally in folders on an external hard drive, moved to my desktop.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to donoreo

downloaded and installed on my mid 2011 i7 mba and my late 2013 15" mbpr w/ the nvidia card.

no issues.

hopefully this fixes some of the issues with mail.app and some lingering issues with airplay mirroring.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

said by tubbynet:

hopefully this fixes some of the issues with mail.app and some lingering issues with airplay mirroring.

Agreed. I'm getting tired of needing for Force Quit the mail app a couple of times each day when it stops responding.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ

said by bjf123:

Agreed. I'm getting tired of needing for Force Quit the mail app a couple of times each day when it stops responding.

i've not had any of that -- but admittedly -- my mail.app only serves a single gmail account and my icloud account.

i just get a lot of weird inconsistencies with gmail and unread emails, etc. i see it on my idevices as well -- but its very apparent on my macs.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to donoreo

- Parallels no longer connected to the Internet after the update (fixed)
- As usual, the #*&#(@ Folder Actions are broken by an OS X update. This is getting old. Tried the easiest fixes, but it looks like that won't be enough. Damn waste of time.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to donoreo

I just installed it into my 2012 Mac Pro using Software Update. As expected, the SSD lost TRIM support, so I had to re-enable this.

Haven't used it long enough to know if there will be any other issues.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
reply to donoreo

Updated with no issues. So far, Mail.app is behaving and opens in a snap. I'll see how it syncs with Gmail to see if it's fixed.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to donoreo

My Mini updated first try. I am not noticing anything different but I do not use Mail.

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
reply to donoreo

I didn't see any bulletins in the update about Mail app being tweaked. Although it does seem to be working better.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
reply to donoreo

It (Mail) seems to be working much better than before for me. On my iMac, the app is opening quick and closing quick. It is sending and receiving mail quicker too.

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
reply to donoreo

I see that the verification in Disk Utility is still imperfect- don't know when Apple will fix this.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
reply to MichelR

said by MichelR:

OK. How did you fix that? I haven't done the update but my online banking and Quicken is done in Parallels running Windows, so I can't have that not working.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to donoreo

Updated 3 Macs with no problems. However people are reporting that the /Users folder is now hidden after the update. I just checked and that was the case on my MBA. I will check my other computers when I get home.

»www.mcelhearn.com/bring-back-the···-10-9-3/

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to donoreo

If you check the Find my Mac checkbox under iCloud under System Preferences it makes the /Users folder hide.

Nice.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to donoreo

One day since the update and it's now telling me Quicktime isn't installed for Chrome.

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

1 edit
reply to donoreo

So in addition to hiding /Users, the folder is also made world writable. Apparently this has nothing to do with the 10.9.3 update and everything to do with iTunes 11.2 and Find My Mac.

Anyway here's a fix but you'll have to leave Find My Mac off.

»derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/0···enabled/

Install the iTunes 11.2.1 update to fix this.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to bjf123

said by bjf123:

said by MichelR:

OK. How did you fix that? I haven't done the update but my online banking and Quicken is done in Parallels running Windows, so I can't have that not working.

I switched the setting from bridged to shared networking, then back to bridged. It was one of multiple things to try in the Parallels KB, and thankfully I didn't have to screw around for too long.

Coincidentally, it's when Quicken refused to connect that I noticed there was a problem.

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium
join:2005-05-02
us
reply to donoreo

For some reason, the Apple's OS X 10.9.3 update has been hiding the /Users directory for a lot of users. So, if you need easy access to that folder, you'll need to enter in a Terminal command.

sudo chflags nohidden /Users

One thing that i have noticed is that once that cmd is run it's not permanent and seems to be reverted upon reboot. Has anyone else run into this?
--
Think Ahead. Learn More. Solve Now!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

It wasn't a problem with 10.9.3. It was the iTunes 11.2 update. A 11.2.1 fix is out already:

»iTunes 11.2.1 Update
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to daveinpoway

said by daveinpoway:

I just installed it into my 2012 Mac Pro using Software Update. As expected, the SSD lost TRIM support, so I had to re-enable this.

Haven't used it long enough to know if there will be any other issues.

Thanks for the reminder on TRIM, had to re-enable as well...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA

If you use Trim Enabler ( »www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/ ), this can be set to check the TRIM status each time you start your Mac; it will alert you if the TRIM support has been lost.

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
reply to donoreo

I've been on 10.9.3 for a while, haven't had any issues. (seeded about 1 month or so ago)

glitch651

join:2014-04-12
Saint Paul, MN
reply to donoreo

I'm starting to like Tim more than Steve.

As an aside I'd like to see apple update web-kit again if possible.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to donoreo

I like the improved 4K support in 10.9.3. It makes a 4K monitor more versatile.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

I have a Samsung 4k monitor connected to my original Retina Macbook Pro and it works ok. Mouse is kind of laggy but overall it works ok. Using HDMI. Might need to upgrade my machine to get better performance, but not happening until new machines come out.