join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re: ‏

said by 19579823:

quote:
I hope they will offer a simple way to remove it...
There is an easy way to avoid this....... DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE VERSION THAT HAS THIS CRAP!!

Or switch to another web browser. We still need security and other updates.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

2 recommendations

goalieskates

Premium Member

said by antdude:

We still need security and other updates.

Do we really need their "security" fixes? Their programming mistakes introduced most of them anyhow.

The browser is only one line of defense. Most of us use many, layered. As for the other updates, given how many people are busily undoing Australis, I doubt that too.

What Mitchell Baker doesn't seem to get is that I don't want DRM on my machine. If that means I can't watch certain things, so be it. I absolutely refuse to be treated like a criminal when I'm not doing anything wrong. She and Mozilla need to focus on getting their own house in order, not on punishing innocent users "just in case."
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Huh? It won't be shipped as part of the browser. You download it and even if you have it you don't have to say "yes" to using DRM. Mozilla is making it so you can say "no". Fx will be the ONLY browser with this ability. It's part of IE and Chrome and latest Opera and you can't say no on those browsers. (Well, you can say no indirectly by not watching protected content). As for SeaMonkey, you wouldn't probably watch HTML5 protected video there anyway as that browser has a long standing bug that keeps you from watching full screen. Plus, I have not seen comment as to whether or not SeaMonkey will even offer the CDM.

Gavin Sharp just stated in Mozilla Governance news group group (adding detail and clarity to the long earlier post by Boris Zabarsky of MIT) that the CDM will NOT ship as part of the browser. It must be downloaded and the user must give consent before CDM code is executed. What has not been decided is details such as how and at what point the user consents.
There is comment in the news group about forks like PaleMoon and, apparently, as of later this year he will need to comply.

Additionally, Gavin stated that there will be a way for users to DISABLE THE USE of EME/CDMs entirely with regards to Fx. SO, NO ONE SHOULD FREAK OUT.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve

said by Mele20:

SO, NO ONE SHOULD FREAK OUT.

You must be new here