spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

Should I set Ethernet from auto to full duplex???

So my Netgear XAV2001 adapters are getting all the signal RX: 200Mbps & TX: 200Mbps between each of them. If I set the computers Ethernet from auto to 100Mbps full duplex will I be connecting at 200Mbps instead of 100Mbps???

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

2 recommendations

No, Auto will be full duplex if both devices support and negotiate it (99.9% of devices today do and will)

In fact setting it to full (or anything non auto) without setting the same on the other side can cause one device to only come up in half duplex, or even 10meg half duplex, both side should always be set the same.
--
IPv6 Sage - ipv6.he.net/certification/scoresheet.php?pass_name=Napsterbater
www.napshome.net

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to floydb1982
I doubt they are operating at 200 Mbps. If so something is drastically wrong.

Full duplex means that Tx and Rx side are independent of each other so theoretically the NIC is able to pass 200Mbps of data, 100 Mbps in each direction. Modern Ethernet use switches which allow simultaneous Tx and Rx, Full duplex.

Ethernet signalling rate is 10 Mbps
Fast Ethernet is 100 Mbps
Gig Ethernet is 1000 Mbps.

At connect time NIC and Switch negotiate optimal speed. Unless you are having incompatibility problems leave it at auto.

/tom

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

said by tschmidt:

Im sure he means the Powerline networks "reported" speed is 200Mbps, the Ethernet ports are probably only 100Mbps FD
--
IPv6 Sage - ipv6.he.net/certification/scoresheet.php?pass_name=Napsterbater
www.napshome.net

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

1 recommendation

Yup, I just googled them and they only have 10/100 ethernet connections. Yay marketing >_>

/M

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to Napsterbater
said by Napsterbater:

Powerline networks "reported" speed is 200Mbps,

OK - I had not bothered to look up the device data. As mackey See Profile posted all Fast Ethernet NICs are 200 Mbps when connected to a switch. As he said Yay marketing

/tom

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

Actually the Netgear XAV2001 are Power line - Ethernet bridges, so they do seem to support a 200 Mbps mode. That said the Ethernet (RJ45) side of the adapters would have to support GigE (1000 Mbps) to the PC in order for you to fully use the 200 Mbps that they say they give.
However the specs for the device says "Data transfer rate Up to 200 Mbps with real throughput greater than 80 Mbps", so I'm not terribly confident that there is anyway to see the full 200 Mbps anyway.