join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: Mozilla agrees to add DRM support to Firefox

Enter the mix -- AdBlock Plus’s effect on Firefox’s memory usage --
Statements made: »blog.mozilla.org/nnether ··· y-usage/

Have riled the likes of ABP developer Wladimir Palant shooting back with: »adblockplus.org/blog/on- ··· sumption
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

The solution is to use the Proxomitron with Sidki's (JJoe's) config 2011-12-22. I went to that "edge" color scheme test page and it loaded very fast (248KB/sec) and used the same amount of RAM mentioned in the Mozilla blog as being what Fx uses there when Adblock Plus is NOT installed.

Plus, I don't know what has changed recently but I installed a Microsoft patch earlier this evening that I missed on Tuesday (and Belarc Advisor told me about). I had to reboot and, afterwards, when I started Fx again (60 tabs to load and separate window for a Microsoft feedback question), I was puzzled and amazed. Fx gave me a popup saying it was loading itself too slowly...not true...it loaded all 60 tabs and the second window with the Microsoft survey just as quickly as as it always does (I almost always choose load previous session when I start Fx). So, I have no idea why Fx thinks it is loading too slowly. I scratched my head on that. Then I looked at Task Manager and was really surprised! Only 13% RAM being used and that is with Fx with 60 tabs. Usually, just with Fx running the RAM usage is at least 18% even right after a reboot. So, I am scratching my head (delightedly) about that also. I have Sea Monkey with 30 tabs running also now and my RAM usage is still low...at 15%!

What does this Adblock stuff have to do with DRM on Fx?