uniqs

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to roboman01

to roboman01

[Caps] Re: Comcast will have cap fees

said by roboman01 :

Its coming and was reported on FoxNews this morning. Here we go again. If they implement this I will be switching back over to Centrylink. I don't use the internet that much but I don't agree with monthly caps each month.

I don't know that the sky is falling for Comcast customers. I believe Comcast will be realistic about what 95% of their customers use, and come up with a realistic data cap.

If you don't use much internet, and the cap doesn't affect you, there's really no reason to leave, unless you're standing for a principle.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

Let's see if Comcast will tell you what that caps are. The last time, they said there were caps but could never say what they were.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

Let's see if Comcast will tell you what that caps are. The last time, they said there were caps but could never say what they were.

You mean the 250GB cap that they said was the cap?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by JohnInSJ:

said by moonpuppy:

or perhaps the 300GB cap that is enforced in certain areas now, and mentioned in both the terms of service and on the website account page listing your past months usage?
C4Xplosive
join:2002-02-21
Vancouver, WA

C4Xplosive to davidc502

to davidc502

said by davidc502 See ProfileI don't know that the sky is falling for Comcast customers. I believe Comcast will be realistic about what 95% of their customers use, and come up with a realistic data cap.

If you don't use much internet, and the cap doesn't affect you, there's really no reason to leave, unless you're standing for a principle.

:

Considering years ago when usage caps first came into existence and the claims back then, yeah I wouldn't believe Comcast would be very realistic about their claims.

They made it a point of saying 90% of people used less than 10GB per month. They provided absolutely no data to back up such a ridiculous claim. Including the region used, how they selected the individuals, how many were used for the statistical analysis, etc.

In a era where are homes are heavily connected that 90% number is impossible to swallow without clarification. My family uses more than 5GB of data on their phones just playing around doing god knows what by mid-month. I had to literally sit them down and explain to them why the bill was ridiculous and so too was their usage. People will just get used to paying more like a water, gas, or electric bill and that's exactly what ISP's want in general. They know you wont bother looking into things deeper and will just accept it as if it's normal.

Meanwhile billions more from overcharges will come flooding into investors pockets.

Sup Foo (banned)
join:2014-05-01
Denver, CO

Sup Foo (banned)

said by C4Xplosive:

Meanwhile billions more from overcharges will come flooding into investors pockets.

If you believe that, you should buy the stock. You'll make a killing, right?

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to C4Xplosive

to C4Xplosive
Yes, with cellphone usage like it is, it makes one wonder how ISP's come up with their "average" usage numbers.

I agree.
C4Xplosive
join:2002-02-21
Vancouver, WA

1 recommendation

C4Xplosive to Sup Foo

to Sup Foo
said by Sup Foo:

said by C4Xplosive:

If you believe that, you should buy the stock. You'll make a killing, right?

The average joe isn't going to make a killing, you know that.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by moonpuppy:

I suspect that moonpuppy See Profile was referring to the invisible cap that preceded the publicly announced 250GB cap. The cap that Comcast refused to reveal any information about, but would get a customer disconnected and banned for a year if they exceeded it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy
said by moonpuppy:

Well a brief history of the Caps was

In the beginning it was just "excessive usage" with no definition, but then people sued so they made a stated cap of 250GB, then as time went on they felt the need to test ideas and for now the cap has been suspended.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by moonpuppy:

I suspect that moonpuppy See Profile was referring to the invisible cap that preceded the publicly announced 250GB cap. The cap that Comcast refused to reveal any information about, but would get a customer disconnected and banned for a year if they exceeded it.

Oh so like in the 'aughts? That's the before times.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

Some of us have longer memories than others.

For me, the "before times" was a 110 baud acoustic modem, a Teletype terminal, and being charged by the minute for net access.

No, on second thought, the real "before times" (for me) was an airborne 50 baud Teletype terminal using RTTY protocol (and Uncle Sam paid the net access bill).

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to davidc502

Premium Member

to davidc502
And what exactly is to keep comcast honest about what 95% of their users use? There is no regulation in this.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

For me, the "before times" was a 110 baud acoustic modem, a Teletype terminal, and being charged by the minute for net access.

Yup. I remember those Teletype terminals, with the oil being deposited upon the inside of the clear plastic view screen.

Memories from my days when I was a software engineer, writing system software for a global X.25 networking company.....

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by JohnInSJ:

Some of us have longer memories than others.

No, on second thought, the real "before times" (for me) was an airborne 50 baud Teletype terminal using RTTY protocol (and Uncle Sam paid the net access bill).

Yeah, I go back to those days too. Time to move on.