Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

[crt/lcd] Assistance with multiple monitor setup

I ordered Three HP W2371d 23-inch LED LCD Monitors. I will be mounting them on Ergotech Group100-D16-B03 Hex Stand.

I have an ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 video card. I ordered two HDMI to DVI Adapter Cables.

I currently have a 24" Asus monitor, sorry don't have the model or a link.

What I would like to do is run World of Warcraft (WoW) on the three screens and watch a movie on the fourth.

Layout will be [MOVIE]-[WoW][WoW][WoW]

1. Will my video card power four monitors doing the above?

2. How do I have WoW on three screens and run the movie on the fourth?

Any suggestions and or helpful comments welcome.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

I don't stay completely current with multi-monitor tech. Having said that, you typically have two options:

1) treat all of the screens as a single screen
2) treat all of the screens seperately

I will also add that the video card noted above will only support 3 screens. With a few exceptions, video cards use the same controller for DVI/HDMI ports. Each controller can only support two monitors. For more than two monitors, you need to use the display port.
--
Google is your Friend

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Kilroy

According to this the cards support 3 display 2d surround with an additional 4th accessory display

»www.geforce.com/hardware/technol···irements

special Instructions:
> Any connectors can be used to enable Surround.
> Once Surround is enabled, users can use
any connector for the Accessory Display.

3D surround is more finicky about which connectors have to be used for what but you are talking about 2d surround, which is less picky.

Of course you have to have enough of the right connections and typically a card has one displayport of the 4 connectors.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Thanks asdfdfdfdfdf See Profile, from that link it looks like the card will do exactly what I'm looking to do. Now I just have to decide on landscape or portrait view.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

BTW you'll likely have to run wow in windowed mode.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
reply to Kilroy

does one of your displays have a displayport connector?

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Kilroy

said by Kilroy:

1. Will my video card power four monitors doing the above?

2. How do I have WoW on three screens and run the movie on the fourth?

Any suggestions and or helpful comments welcome.

This link for the card suggests your requests are fine.
»www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop···features

NVIDIA Surround with Up To Four Monitors
(NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround requires 3D Vision glasses and three matching 3D Vision-Ready displays. In addition a DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI adapter may be required to connect one of the 3D Vision Surround monitors. See www.nvidia.com/surround for more information.)
Nothing is as breathtaking as playing your favorite games across three monitors. At 5760 x 1080, the expanded field of view fully engages human peripheral vision and provides for the most immersive experience in racing and flight simulators. Add in a fourth display to keep tabs on chat, email or web while you are gaming.

The nvidia control panel under advanced settings should give you the options to configure the screens.
Just make sure you get the latest drivers off nvidia's site.
»www.nvidia.com/Download/index.as···ng=en-us
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
reply to asdfdfdfdfdf

No, my current has VGA, DVI, and HDMI. I bought a Displayport to VGA adapter.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Kilroy

Click for full size
WoW on three screens
Click for full size
Web/WoW/Movie
Well, had a hectic couple of weeks, wife had her appendix removed and then we went to Mexico for a wedding and vacation, so it has been a while for an update.

First off, the monitors and stand went together wonderful. I highly recommend the stand for anyone looking for a three monitor stand for 24" monitors. I had to scrap the idea of four monitors as there really just isn't the room as three fill your full field of vision.

Secondly, I really wish someone would have told me how unfriendly WoW is with multiple monitors. I did two monitors years ago and scrapped it quickly since your toon is always in the middle of the two screens. WoW defaults the maximum resolution to the size of your primary screen. So, you have to use work arounds to get it to go to all three screens. The easiest way I found was to use a macro to change between resolutions.

/script if (GetCVar("gxWindow") =="1") then SetCVar("gxWindow","0"); SetCVar("gxResolution","1920x1080"); else SetCVar("gxMaximize","0"); SetCVar("gxWindow","1"); SetCVar("gxResolution","1920x360"); end; RestartGx();

The 1920x1080 is the resolution of one monitor. The 1920x360 is the horizontal resolution and 1/3 of the vertical resolution. This results in a long Window that when expanded across three the three monitors that is proportional. The easiest way to expand to the three monitors is to use UltraMon's Maximize window to desktop function.

I have taken to playing WoW on the center screen, watching a movie or television program on the right screen, and having a web browser/screen shot/notepad running.

--

norwegian
Premium
Outback

It is interesting that you found UltraMon for the setup and the script.
I would have thought it would have worked easier than that too.

That stand looks okay though, it beats what I use at work, went cheap rather than quality thinking I'd save, but like everything it was a learning curve.
It seems clean and function-able with the 1 arm, rather than the fold-out arm/s of the one at work.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN

This was on Windows 7, Windows 8 handles multiple monitors differently. UltraMon is much more useful in Windows 7 as it will show you the applications opened on that monitor in the taskbar on the monitor. Windows 8 shows all open applications on all monitors, but the clock and system tray are only on the main monitor. I haven't played with the full screen gaming much in Windows 8 as I've settled into my browser, game, video mode, but it is always an option.

Actually the side monitors are on arms to allow you to adjust position, they can go from straight out to farther in than you would need when viewing. They swing, rather than fold I would say, not knowing what you have at work.
--

norwegian
Premium
Outback

The monitor at work is this: Brateck Dual LCD Monitor Table Stand w/Arm & Desk Clamp
»www.ht.com.au/part/AJ357-Brateck···tail.hts