spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DInosanto
@50.29.96.x

DInosanto

Anon

Sandboxie + VPN

as a novice, I was wondering whether there is any benefit to combining an app like Sandboxie with a VPN (eg. Cyberghost)?

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie

Depends, what is your end goal utilizing those two together?

DInosanto
@50.29.97.x

DInosanto

Anon

Security while browsing. On rare occasion may go to questionable site. Just overall surfing.

Use KI + MBAM Pro ( & more) and am careful (usually)

Chubbzie
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie

That should be sufficient for protection of standard web surfing. Just be sure that any outlying browser plugins and/or external applications that can be called from the browser are also included in the sandbox.

If you get the chance you might want to take a look at the Aviator browser:
WhiteHat Aviator

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to DInosanto

Premium Member

to DInosanto
As one layer of a good security approach, IMO, Sandboxie can certainly improve your security. If you're always starting with a clean machine/sandbox, doing personal/private business should be reasonably safe. Do these kinds of things 1st thing in your sessions, not later. (Remember the sandbox protects your computer, not the sandbox. If something bad is in there, it's bad until you close and delete the sandbox.)

As for VPNs, they are a means to achieving a bit of privacy. I've never used Cyberghost but they say it offers security. IMO, baloney! Do you send personal/private information in the clear all the time? (Hopefully you don't!) Data still has to exit Cyberghost's tunnel at some point and the data would be viewable again to all who might be able to do so. So Cyberghost's "protection" is limited. Also, remember that if you use Cyberghost, you'd be running your stuff through their tunnel. You'd be trusting them with whatever you're sending through them. So it's not 100% anonymous.

Chubbzie
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie

said by HA Nut:

Data still has to exit Cyberghost's tunnel at some point and the data would be viewable again to all who might be able to do so. So Cyberghost's "protection" is limited. Also, remember that if you use Cyberghost, you'd be running your stuff through their tunnel.

Thats inherit to any VPN.
said by HA Nut:

If you're always starting with a clean machine/sandbox, doing personal/private business should be reasonably safe. Do these kinds of things 1st thing in your sessions, not later.

I would advise using multiple sandboxes, one for particularly sensitive info & the other(s) for normal usage. Best to keep them segregated if possible. But just like you said once the baddies are in the sandbox all bets are off...
JarmoP
join:2013-10-11
Finland

JarmoP to DInosanto

to DInosanto
What the previous poster told. Use your browsers in different sandboxes.
And yes, SBIE can protect you against mistakes in surfing. VPN is only for privacy remember

I myself use HTTP Switchboard extension for Chrome and think it is superior to what Noscript gives for Firefox, as an added protection. With FF I sure use Noscript, but in many instances I have noticed some ghost popup, in some sites, so Sandboxie is wellcome as always.

DInosanto
@50.29.97.x

DInosanto

Anon

Thanks for all the input.

One last question. I have KIS installed. Is KIS Safe Money similar to Sandboxie?

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by DInosanto :

Is KIS Safe Money similar to Sandboxie?

It is a protected session in a virtual environment and can be user designed for specific sites.

A link to the settings in the 2014 version.

»support.kaspersky.com/97 ··· 0#block1

DInosanto
@50.29.97.x

DInosanto

Anon

Thank you for the link. My question is - is Safe Money interchangeable with Sandboxie? Would I be be duplicating the same task?
JarmoP
join:2013-10-11
Finland

JarmoP to DInosanto

to DInosanto
Not likely. Sandboxie is for protecting your computer as Ha Nut told. It is not primary for privacy or securing banking actions.

If your computer is clean so is the sandboxed instance browsing.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to HA Nut

to HA Nut
> starting with a clean machine/sandbox,
> doing personal/private business should be reasonably safe

Though having a clean machine/sandbox does not imply that your browser, plugins, web sites you visit, aren't or can't be exploited, so from that perspective, machine/sandbox does not make you any safer.

(It may contain exploits to your sandbox, but it won't stop social engineering-like exploits against you or your data. And that also is not meant to imply that there is no value in running in a sandbox.)

Now if you run one browser that is locked down more then another, one that (even if by extension, like NoScript) can actually protect against browser based exploits, then you will be running, safer, from those things a sandbox does not protect against.