All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Keigotw
@184.94.14.x

Keigotw

Anon

[DSL] Dlink DSL-520B in Bridge mode, not working all the time?

I changed my TPlink TD-8616, to Dlink DSL-520B
follow this instruction here to change to bridge mode
»swisscobalt.blogspot.ca/ ··· 4gc.html

1st time I connected my Linksys WRT1900AC router, it worked. But then after is I turn off the mode and router. and turn then back on again, then it won't connect again.
tried turning both off and on many times. Still won't connect

So I put back the TPlink 8616 modem and it connects no problem
I reset the Dlink DSL-520B and do the bridge setting again, and I can connect again
but once I turn off modem and router, then it won't connect again.
Doing rest and bridge again, sometimes won't connect too

not sure what is going on

same thing happens with DSL-520B and Linksys E4200 (in another house)

is the above link the proper way of setting bridge for DSL-520B?

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ

Premium Member

Well, those instructions to set that modem to bridge mode are correct. This situation sounds like the the modem is saving its configuration in RAM (looses all information when power is no longer supplied to it) instead of NVRAM (retains memory information even after power is removed). Could be a bug in the firmware or it's corrupted. Any chance you can just exchange the DSL-520B for another one or simply just keep on using the TD-8816?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Make sure that the VPI/VCI settings in the dlink modems are correct at 0/35 if you're in Ontario/Quebec.

Maybe its somehow losing those values.

Keigotw
@184.94.14.x

Keigotw to RizzleQ

Anon

to RizzleQ
Don't know if is loosing the values. Because sometimes I unplugged the power and tried again and it worked but as soon as you turn off, Will have hard time trying to connect back again.
Sometimes it looks like is connected, but will have limited access. (browser does not work) but Skype gets connected.
yes VPI/VCI is at 0/35

I have 2 x DSL-520B doing the same thing

I also just bought Siemens CL-110 and is doing the exact same thing

really weird

So in bridge mode these DSL modem have iP: 192.168.1.1
does DHCP have to be on or off (in the modem)
DSL-520B I had DHCP On and it did connect before
CL-110 I had DHCP Off and it did connect before Also
so does it matter If DHCP is on or off? (in the modem)

Router have ip: 192.168.1.1 also

thanks

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ

Premium Member

Therein lies the problem possibly. The modem still has an IP of 192.168.1.1 and you're plugging in a router that assigns itself the same IP. Normally a modem in bridge will not assign itself an IP address at all or have DHCP on. Try it without DHCP on.

I was also going to suggest not using the router at all for a test. Setup the modem in bridge as you normally do, then setup a PPPoE dialer on your computer.

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to Keigotw

to Keigotw
you can also change your router's (or modems) LAN ip so they are not the same. usually its just a matter of updating the 1 field - LAN ip - and the router/modem takes care of DHCP ranges and such.

keigotw
@184.94.14.x

keigotw to RizzleQ

Anon

to RizzleQ
So I did as suggested
DSL-520B in bridge mode and then set up PPPoe
on computer to and 1st time it failed and 2nd time it says connected
but I could not go to any website
after many tries still same, just says connected, but no access to net
put back TD-8616 and it works right away
keigotw

keigotw to oceros37

Anon

to oceros37
I tried setting router to 192.168.2.1
and still didn't work

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

When you were connected & the service wasn't working with the DSL520 modem... did you perhaps have any static IP's configured on your NIC. If so, there's a good possibility that would have prevented you from browsing.

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ to keigotw

Premium Member

to keigotw
Is there a reason you don't just keep using the TD-8616? The only difference I'm aware of between that and the DSL-520B is that the TD-8616 is bridge-only.

Keigotw
@184.94.14.x

Keigotw to JenSuisUn

Anon

to JenSuisUn
nope
I did remove the static ip on the PC
and DSL-520B did assign and ip on the PC
which was 192.168.2.1 (which is correct, since DHCP on 520B did say starting ip: 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.254

keigotw
@184.94.14.x

keigotw to RizzleQ

Anon

to RizzleQ
my original TD-8616 was acting weird. it was having hard time detecting DSL signal
or wasn't detecting at all, so I bought 520B to try. After some fail attempts by using bridge mode
then I got another TD-8616
I might have to stick with TD-8616 now
but just trying to understand why 520B would work sometimes and sometimes not
when it works is good and doing speed test compare to TD-8616 was little faster
but after 520B is turned off, takes a lot of time to try to make it connect again

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Keigotw

Premium Member

to Keigotw
said by Keigotw :

sometimes I unplugged the power and tried again and it worked but as soon as you turn off, Will have hard time trying to connect back again.
Sometimes it looks like is connected, but will have limited access. (browser does not work) but Skype gets connected.

That sounds like a DNS issue

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ

Premium Member

If it was a DNS issue then browsing to »74.125.228.78 or »157.166.226.25 or »206.248.155.70 would work.

keigotw can you replicate those symptoms and confirm that all of those links work. If not then then this has nothing to do with DNS, but if they do and the word counterpart of those websites do not then it's definitely DNS related.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I figured if Skype connects, then the should internet work, but something else was going on

My first thought is DNS, 2nd thought is security software blocking a subnet
Calmuser
Calmuser
join:2011-10-27
Canada

Calmuser to Keigotw

to Keigotw
Interesting.

I just switched to a Dlink 520B.

Since my older Zoom modem decide to fail on me.

Its giving me no problems at all in bridge mode (once I figured out how to do it, same way as the link posted above)

Bridged with a Linksys WRT310N running Tomato.

keigotw
@184.94.14.x

keigotw

Anon

have you tried turning modem off and router off
then turn them back on again?
Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

Calmuser

Not since I turned on Bridge mode.

When I was using it in Router mode, I did that without problems.

keigotw
@76.10.168.x

keigotw to Keigotw

Anon

to Keigotw
So I did more test today
520B with E4200
under the status of E4200
I can see
Connection type: PPPoe
Login Status: Connected
Internet IP Address: 76.10.XXX.XXX
subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
default Gateway: 206.XXX.XXX.XXX
DNS1: 206.248.XXX.XXX
DNS2: 206.248.XXX.XXX

So basically it making connection which means 520B is fine. And bridge mode is working
the problem may be with TekSavvy? cause even though it says connected. I can't access internet at all
then I have to reboot the router a few time, and then it eventually will work
and on the times that it doesn't work, it all say Login status Connected

Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

Calmuser

Keigotw, I got a question for you.

Did you get Internet access just using the modem in Router mode and connected to your router under DHCP?

And if not, do you get internet access using just the modem under rooter modem direct connected to your PC?

Cause I had to change the modems IP address to not conflict with my router to get in order to work in router mode with my other router. Then once I made that change it wouldn't work under Bridge mode till I did a factory reset on the modem to change it back to its default IP.

my router said it was connect but no net access till I did a factory reset of both the modem and router.

After that I set Bridge mode again and entered my credentials in my Linksys it logged in and worked right away.

Keigotw
@75.119.243.x

Keigotw

Anon

Calmuser,
I only tried Bridge mode and try to log in from PC (setting PPOE, on Internet explorer)
it says Connected, but I could not access the internet.

My conclusion is that the bridge mode setting instruction on the 1st post is correct and works
and the problem is with Teksavvy, because often it you say connected, you get IP and DNS from them
but you can't access internet. You have to keep rebooting the router until the internet works

and when it works It will keep working, until you turn off modem or router again and then you have to
keep rebooting router until you get connection with internet
Keigotw

Keigotw

Anon

So I gave up on Dlink DSL-520B. And got zyxel P-660R-F1, set to brigded mode and it is working without any issues.
It connects all the time now
With E4200