dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sunday8pm
join:2010-05-24

sunday8pm

[General] (Canada): Ditching the cell phone line to go all IP?

Hi,

First and foremost, we live in Canada so things like Google Voice are out of the equation.

I have been thinking about cancelling our cell phone plans for a while. We already make half of our cell phone calls using VoIP over cellular data on our smartphones via the Asterisk server I have setup at home.

How realistic would it be to ditch the cell plan and take a mobile internet only plan? I could easily put the SIM card in our smartphones and get the Android phone setup to receive calls via VoIP using one DID each.

We spend 99% of our time in the city where there is top coverage so speed will not be an issue I reckon.

What to do about SMSes? Is there a way to receive SMS on a DID? What is the cost?

Anyone ever did something similar? What is your experience?

mugurd
join:2001-05-24
Ottawa, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet
·Fido
(Software) pfSense
Netgear RAX50
Netgear R7000

mugurd

If you're familiar with the XDA Developers forum, there is a thread about using T-Mobile data (only) plan with GV (or CC, or...) and all the pros and cons.

»forum.xda-developers.com ··· =1791957

I use VoIP (SIP and GV) clients on my cell all the time (having a 6GB data plan helps) but would NOT give up the mobile calls - no matter how skimpy the plan minutes are, I see them as a backup for unforeseen situations.
But hey...I have friends (VoIP literates) which cling onto their BHell landlines for the worst case scenario...
VoIP2Go
join:2013-12-14

VoIP2Go to sunday8pm

to sunday8pm
said by sunday8pm:

Is there a way to receive SMS on a DID? What is the cost?

Take a trip over to the voip.ms web site. They are a respected Canadian VoIP provider and should be able to provide you with everything you need

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to sunday8pm

MVM

to sunday8pm
The problem is that VoIP is sketchy, at best, over mobile data. I've been doing it for years, but will not give up cell service completely.

I switched to Republic Wireless for all of our phones and cut my cell bill by more than half. I'm afraid RW probably is not available in Canada.
BTW, RW uses VoIP when wifi is available. That's their shtick.
Maybe you could set your phone up in the same fashion - cell calls only when wifi isn't available. With all of the "unlimited" plans available from resellers, it almost doesn't make any sense though.
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip to sunday8pm

to sunday8pm
said by sunday8pm:

How realistic would it be to ditch the cell plan and take a mobile internet only plan?

How much will cost you that plan? I was looking a bit and the plans seems to be pretty expensive but I didn't do an extended search. Maybe you can share what plan do you have in mind and how much will cost.

mugurd
Ottawa, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet
·Fido
(Software) pfSense
Netgear RAX50
Netgear R7000

mugurd to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

With all of the "unlimited" plans available from resellers, it almost doesn't make any sense though

Keep in mind that OP is Canadian.... "unlimited" plans here cost an arm and a leg, while some 1GB tablet data plans sometimes pop up for cheap.
We're getting royaly screwed with the collusion of the Big Three.
sunday8pm

sunday8pm to Dan_voip

to Dan_voip
said by Dan_voip:

said by sunday8pm:

How realistic would it be to ditch the cell plan and take a mobile internet only plan?

How much will cost you that plan? I was looking a bit and the plans seems to be pretty expensive but I didn't do an extended search. Maybe you can share what plan do you have in mind and how much will cost.

This is not so bad: »www.fido.ca/web/content/ ··· cesplans

1GB for 25$ and 5GB for 35$

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

1 edit

brg to VoIP2Go

Premium Member

to VoIP2Go
said by VoIP2Go:

Take a trip over to the voip.ms web site. They are a respected Canadian VoIP provider and should be able to provide you with everything you need

You'll note that the OP has used and reviewed voip.ms...
Livadia
join:2007-12-18
Canada

Livadia to sunday8pm

to sunday8pm
Still a cell phone may be useful sometimes, unless you are bound in a place with wifi. If you are sure you do not need to make a lot of cell use, then look at 7/11 Speakout or PetroCanada plans, $25 PAYG do not expire for up to a full year (both use Rogers networks)

Voip.ms has an SMS service, but it may not be so straightforward to use as your cellphone service.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to sunday8pm

to sunday8pm
said by sunday8pm :

We spend 99% of our time in the city where there is top coverage so speed will not be an issue I reckon.

If you're in a major city with the exception of Montreal, why not get cheap plans with Wind?
sunday8pm

sunday8pm

said by bbbc:

said by sunday8pm :

If you're in a major city with the exception of Montreal, why not get cheap plans with Wind?

This is why

mugurd
Ottawa, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet
·Fido
(Software) pfSense
Netgear RAX50
Netgear R7000

mugurd

Hahahaha...
Jokes aside, I was hoping Wind and Mobilicity would grow exponentially (seeing their price structure) but either the margins don't leave room for network development, or there was no real drive, or...
Bottom line, we're screwed...
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean to sunday8pm

to sunday8pm
I had tried to get a data-only plan with Bell and Rogers and I was told this wasn't possible unless I had a tablet. So I had a basic voice plan with 1GB of data, which is sufficient to make over 13h of calls on g711.

I've used voip.ms over Bell's 3G network without problem, although I wasn't moving (I think that makes a big difference). Since I moved to France, last month, I've been using my voip.ms over LTE networks. It works perfectly fine, but again, I haven't really tried making calls while moving (I'll be taking the TGV shortly, so I'm curious to see how bad it will be).
sunday8pm

sunday8pm

I couldn't even browse the internet or make a phone call in the TGV when it reached its cruising speed. It goes around 250km/h which is way too fast for the cell handover to happen.

On the other hand, you can get unlimited calls (even to overseas), unlimited SMS/MMS and 2+GB of internet for under 20 EUR/month in France so going VoIP might be pointless.
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean

said by sunday8pm:

I couldn't even browse the internet or make a phone call in the TGV when it reached its cruising speed. It goes around 250km/h which is way too fast for the cell handover to happen.

On the other hand, you can get unlimited calls (even to overseas), unlimited SMS/MMS and 2+GB of internet for under 20 EUR/month in France so going VoIP might be pointless.

I'll be testing out LTE while traveling in the TGV in a couple of weeks...

Though it's true that I have unlimited calls to over 100 different countries, as well and unlimited SMS+MMS anywhere in France, and 20GB of data over LTE, all for under 16%u20AC/month, I'm still using VoIP for inbound and SMS/MMS to/from North America. My firends and family back home don't have unlimited calls to France...
Jetster
join:2014-05-16
Duluth, MN

Jetster to sunday8pm

to sunday8pm
I use the Fongo app on my iPhone when I am in Canada. I live in the States but have a cottage in Muskoka with wifi connected. I also use an Obi 202 using freephone.ca (as well as some of my US lines).
Jetster

Jetster to JeanInNepean

to JeanInNepean
Many of the European trains have wifi on-board. I don't know about TGV.