True or not?

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Why would it not be true?
Did you look at more than one website to try and cross verify the story?

It appears legit.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
Well first , here is the link that the OP was trying to direct us to.

»www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· world%29

Secondly, I think that this move is a bit underhanded myself. As much of a Firefox fan I am and the fact that the 29.0 version is running fine for me, I am growing tired of the constant upgrading. For the average user, I can imagine that it is even more frustrating...especially considering that this Australis version really messed a lot of average users up.

anonomeX
@71.207.157.x

anonomeX

Anon

quote:
"We will continue to respect the user update preference: If the user has updates completely disabled in preferences, we will not prompt for updates at all," Smedberg said. "If manual-apply is chosen, we will nag but not force-install the update."
Sounds OK to me.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Interested on how they could force a Linux user to upgrade. You have a choice on what you upgrade from the repository, not the software itself. Uncheck the box.

Also because so many here were complaining about FX upgrading when you just checked to see if there was an upgrade. You have a full page of posts on that subject in this forum. That sounds like a forced upgrade was already in progress well before that article was posted. So what's new?

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to carpetshark3

to carpetshark3
True or not is no longer the point.

The point is we are at a point in time where anything said or done, good or bad, for better or for worse, by Mozilla, will elicit disdain.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
quote:
The plan is to start upgrading older Windows editions beginning with the next stable release, Firefox 30, which is slated to ship June 10.
Can't wait not

One could also minimise these purported semi-silent background updates by shutting update services off.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by siljaline:

quote:
The plan is to start upgrading older Windows editions beginning with the next stable release, Firefox 30, which is slated to ship June 10.
Can't wait not

One could also minimise these purported semi-silent background updates by shutting update services off.

Even better is if you installed a version of Firefox that had the maintenance service, you selected the "Custom" install, and just uncheck the box. As far as I know, all of the older versions that had the update / maintenance service did provide the end user a way to not even install it.

And, as you pointed out, all prior versions of Firefox have a screen just like the one you posted. Just go in, and modify the screen as you have.

Personally, I would take it one step farther. Before changing the update option, I would uncheck the box "Warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons", and then modify the update setting, so that the box is unchecked, like this.

Maybe its me being a bit cautious, but just because a box is disabled does not mean that somehow, the value of that box could make some kind of automatic update take place if its not coded to look at the state (enabled vs disabled) as well as the value / contents of said field. I would rather be safe then sorry.

However, if its Mozilla's plan to ignore that setting, and force people to upgrade anyway, then all bets are off. That would be totally wrong, and I would feel would make a lot of people unhappy with them.

--Brian

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

> Just go in, and modify the screen as you have.

But is more then just that.
Because on FF < 29, if you go into Help | About | Check for updates, it will update you irrespective of your settings.

So you have to make the settings
Ensure you do not "Check for updates"
(And can't hurt to make sure that %LOCALAPPDATA%\Mozilla\updates\ has nothing pending.)

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Mozilla Maintenance Service
You could uninstall or completely disable the Mozilla Maintenance Service & stop the machine-side service.

--
* ~ * Those looking at home may not want to do this unless you're sure what you're doing as to the outcome of these sorts of actions. * ~ *

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to therube

Premium Member

to therube
Wow I did not know that! I went and removed Waterfox so I could do some testing. I installed Firefox 27.0.0 (custom install, no maintenance service). Once the install was done, I went and modified the update page to make it look like this

I then closed Firefox.

Note: I did not go look to see if the folder you mentioned (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Mozilla\updates) was there or what it had in it.

I then re-opened firefox, and went to Help, about. Now, you see the settings I have, and even though I had them set to not install updates, it did anyway! I did not even click on any button. Once the about box was up, it was already 50% downloaded and getting ready to install the update.

I then removed Firefox 27.0.0 fully (profile, all folders, etc), and did a 2nd test.

Same as the 1st, but this time, once I closed the browser, I did see the path that you were talking about. I delete the \Updates folder, then launched firefox.

This time, when I click on Help and about, I see this

Clicking on the "Check for Updates" does what it always has done, which is download and install the update.

So, yes. You need to make sure you set the settings as we have all shown, and also make sure there is no pending updates. Then, as long as you don't click the button "Check for Updates" (really as we have said all along, should say "Check for and install the most recent update right now), you can remain on the older versions.

Lots of hoops for the end user to jump through, especially if they don't know all the settings and stuff to modify to make sure things don't update on their own.

--Brian