TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Syracuse, NY

TweakerInWA

Premium Member

Need Help Connecting Router to Switch

This is really kicking my butt...I need to connect my Century Link C2000T router to a plain ol' D-Link DGS 2208 ...

I need the extra ports to connect a Xbox 360, XBOX One, Oppo Blu-Ray player, Sony X900A TV and 4K media Hub, Prism Box, Amazon Fire TV box..I have no clue why nothing I connect to the D-Link will connect to the internet. I'm a networking newb and can't seem to figure out how to assign the switch to the router to make it functional. I'm assuming I need to log into the router and assign the D-Link some kind of static IP, but everything I've tried thus far = FAIL ...lol Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

You should just have to plug it the switch into one of the ports on the router.

There should be nothing to set up. It is just a simple switch, it does not use an IP address.

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

TweakerInWA

Premium Member

Yeah, that's what I thought...But for some reason the TV, 360 and 4K media player fail to connect when plugged into the D-Link...If I switch them over to the Century Link Modem/Router they work fine.... But the Xbox One will connect from the D-Link...Really odd...

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

The fact one device works when plugged into the new switch works you know the link between the switch and router is working correctly. In prehistoric times connecting like devices (switch to switch) required use of an uplink port or crossover cable. Now a days networking gear is smarter and automatically configures itself.

How are you connecting the other devices to the switch, factory made patch cords or homemade cables? Try using a know good patch cord to connect the failing devices and see what happens.

Gig Interfaces do not like being connected to cables with only two active pair rather then all four.

/tom

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

rchandra to TweakerInWA

Premium Member

to TweakerInWA
Could our OP be running into issues with double NATting? Or access issues in general, something which is configured on the border but not on the inside (such as UPnP) which causes some things to fail which require that?

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

1 recommendation

TweakerInWA

Premium Member

Just went and picked up a new 8 port Net Gear switch, all is well....Must have been the D-Link....

shdesigns