All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ZettyBurg
join:2014-05-17
USA

ZettyBurg

[Wired] Linksys E2500 Port forwarding issues!

I'd like to think I'm competent with computers and basic networking, but I've tried absolutely everything to get port forwarding to work again on my home network. I have some buddies who just got out of college and we wanted to play together over some web servers on games such as Minecraft, Terraria, and 7 Days to Die. Three years ago, I was port forwarding just fine with the same ISP. However, I had a different router, modem, and system. For this example/problem, I'm trying to solve port 25565(Minecraft) first.
I was trying to solve this issue on my own, and I have 0 idea what I did, but 25565 was open yesterday with some random configuration. I'm not sure what I did to fix it, I just know it wasn't anything too crazy. However, I woke up today and the port was closed.

Network Specifications
Router = Linksys E2500(Firmware is up to date)
Modem = Ubee DVW3201
ISP = Time Warner(Never had any issues or port blocking from them)
Firewall/Security = Firewall is on, Defender is on, Malware Anti-Malware is on. I don't use Hamachi/Evolve or anything of the sort, and firewall was on when 25565 was open yesterday.

Computer Specifications
Processor = Intel I7-4770K OC 4.0 Ghz
GPU = XFX Radeon 7970 Ghz Edition
Motherboard = Z77 MPOWER MSI
RAM = 16GB 4X4 Corsair Vengeance
PSU = NZXT HALE Gold 750W
HD = Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM

All the information about my settings, and how they're configured can be found in this album: »imgur.com/a/4oo5a

Thanks a lot for reading guys, I haven't been able to get port forwarding to work for a year or so now.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 recommendation

Bill_MI

MVM

Nice array of settings! I'm out of date with a lot of this but I went looking for a key thing...

From Status page, the modem is giving the router a private IP of 192.168.0.2. The modem is, thus, also an NAT device. To properly port forward, the MODEM needs to be 1) In a different mode like bridge mode so your router gets a public IP OR... 2) Forwarding all ports to 192.168.0.2 OR... 3) Also forwarding the same thing to 192.168.0.2.

But I'm not familiar with a Ubee DVW3201 at all... just pointing you in, I hope, the right direction. HTH!

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15 to ZettyBurg

Premium Member

to ZettyBurg
I cringed right off the bat seeing that Ubee and also using upnp at the same time. You don't use port forwarding when using upnp. It does all the work for you. I wont even troubleshoot systems like that when its router vs router fighting each other. Those modem/router combos are a living hell to work with. Especially when you throw in another router into the mix. Nothing but issues. My suggestion is get a modem only. Use the Linksys as the main router. Upnp will do the rest for you automatically. Example. I am on cable as well. Modem is a Motorola SB6141 and router is a Linksys E4200 v1. Never had a port forward or port triggering issue at all. Upnp does all the work in the router settings. Its enabled by default any ways. Big time media and game household as well.
Finger2208
join:2001-04-07
Lindale, TX

1 recommendation

Finger2208 to ZettyBurg

to ZettyBurg
Bill and KoRn are giving you great advice! Running behind multiple NAT devices is a train wreck waiting on a place to happen. Either put the Ubee in bridge mode or better yet get a modem only such as the one KoRn suggested. That will go a long way to solving the problem if you must forward ports. Also, if you absolutely must forward you really need to assign a static LAN IP to the rig you want to forward to so settings don't get lost if DHCP assigns the rig a new LAN IP.

Minecraft is one of the games you mentioned. My son plays it quite a bit....no forwarding needed if you are using UPnP. The only time I have really needed/had to forward ports was when I ran a dedicated UT2004 server back in the day. It simply would not allow players outside my LAN to connect, even with UPnP enabled, putting the server in DMZ, etc. Forwarding in this instance worked flawlessly, but a dedicated server is unique. I never had to forward to actually play UT2004 on my rig, my server or someone else's, just to get the dedicated server to work properly for internet players.