Search similar:

uniqs
MikeCT01
join:2013-12-03
Houston, TX

MikeCT01

NVG589 reboots for no apparent reason.

Click for full size
OK, I have been working with AT&T about this and have gotten no where. So, I thought I'd pose the question here
I have the NVG589 and it just reboots itself for no reason that I can see. This happens every couple days and sometimes several times a day.

I've has the 45/6 service since November of last year.. so that's how long this has been going on.

So far:
Was told I had bad surge protector, so got a new one - Did not solve problem

Was told not to have it in a surge protector, to plug directly to wall - Did not solve problem

Was told that the Belkin battery back-up I had with previous modem was not compatible, so tech came out, took the Belkin and installed the internal battery the modem is supposed to have - Did not solve the problem

Last week, I was sent a replacement modem, sent back the old one - Guess what.. did not solve the problem.

So, I am at a loss now. Any ideas?

The modem actually just restarted itself about 5 minutes ago. So, I've attached a screen shot of the current readings just for reference.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Look in the logs. DSL Status doesn't provide anything useful.
MikeCT01
Houston, TX

MikeCT01

logs.txt
28,245 bytes
Here is the log file when saved.
kshusker
join:2009-10-12

1 recommendation

kshusker to MikeCT01

to MikeCT01
I had this same issue about six months ago. It surfaced shortly after we upgraded from Max Power (24/3) to the bonded 45/6 level of service (and got the NVG589). After several tech visits, and three modem replacements - going through the same BS about surge protectors, etc. you have), AT&T finally sent a tech who actually tried to figure stuff out - and what it turned out to be was that the second pair (remember, with the new bonded VDSL, they actually utilize both paris) has some noise on the line that was intermittent, and when it occurred, it caused the modem to spontaneously reboot.

A line tech had to be called in to do some repairs on the second pair (which we never noticed in the previous 15 years of owning our home because the old U-Verse service level never used the 2nd pair) and after this, they monitored the line for a week and saw no errors and we have not had a reboot since.

So, ask AT&T to do line test on the second pair, and try to get them to also put heavy monitoring on your connection for a week or so (they can do this, but requires special effort) and hopefully this will fix your issue.

Two things:

- the DSL logs on the NVG are worthless. I set up a log server to try to figure the issue out, and got nothing

- The NVG589 rebooting when there is a line issue (rather then maybe losing sync and coming back) I consider to be a pretty bad bug in the firmware. But, that is neither here nor there.

Good luck!
MikeCT01
Houston, TX

MikeCT01

OK, this makes sense to me. Before I upgraded, I had the 3801 and no bonded pair, and no problems.

So, dumb question... is there any thing I can do to reduce noise on the lines? I ask because I am anticipating a fight with AT&T to get them to do this; they keep telling me my stats look great.
kshusker
join:2009-10-12

kshusker

There's nothing you can do (assuming your problem is the same as ours was, and based on the symptoms it may be). The issue was in the line itself, between our home and the VRAD.

Somehow you need to convince them to think creatively and start continuous monitoring of your line (which they can do, and provides much better data then a single snapshot). We had to fight hard, getting up to Tier 2, and also contacting AT&T on Twitter before they finally listened to us.

Sadly it is a lot easier to just blame the customer or blame the equipment rather then really try to solve the problem, and I think AT&T is worse then most cable companies when it comes to this. You gotta make a lot of noise, fight hard, and hope you get a tech who cares enough to really escalate.

Snowcat
join:2004-02-02
Nashville, TN

Snowcat to MikeCT01

to MikeCT01
I am glad I am not the only one with this problem. I never had this issue with the older router, but when I moved up to the NVG589 and the Power tier, I had noticeable reboots a few times a day.

I did have a tech come out last weekend to replace mine, and I have only seen it reboot once since then. But if it starts acting up again, I will reference this thread and see if I can get their support to do what you asked.

Thanks!

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige to MikeCT01

to MikeCT01
Is your homerun a dedicated cat5e installed by ATT when you got the first NVG589, and to your knowledge is not tied to bad old internal phone wiring (except possibly only via whole-house filter in the NID)?

I never tried it, NVG589 web page Broadband/Configure has Broadband Source Override. Appears by which you could force it to use just line-1 or line-2, versus Auto or both.

Effective rate and speed would be impacted of course. But could experiment to confirm for example, if forcing just line-1 eliminates the reboots (while forcing just line-2 preserves about the same rebooting behavior).

Would think such data may help convince ATT a specific line is likely source of the trouble. In addition to posting such results here, might best start a Direct forum post highlighting these results in initial description.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

This is a common issue with the NVG589 and bonded pairs. Unless the pairs are quite close to one another with regard to S/N ratio, it will reboot frequently. I had the same issue. Once the lines were better balanced by fixing a short that was some distance from our place on the second line we haven't had too many issues.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Based on 10M spread between max-sync-rates? OP's noise margin and attenuation look closer than mine (margins 27.4, 26.4), at least sync rates are equal/balanced.

Via forcing one line at a time, I'd be interested if can confirm if apparent weaker line-1 is causing the reboots. For an intermittent issue, lines look close enough, that might still be a toss-up as to which line?

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

I'd be interested as well... I've been having reboots and my lines are 2.2 apart.

my margins are 23.1/25.6 and 20.9/25.6 a little further than you

maybe we all need to ask the Direct forum about it?