how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cosmokramer

join:2009-02-18
Portland, ME

XLTE launch markets

Has anybody found any information on what markets will be the first to these aws based enhancements?

kingfisher
Premium
join:2007-07-17
Webster, NY

From Verizon - published Monday

»s7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWir···kets.pdf

CompUser

join:2001-11-07
Ada, OH
reply to cosmokramer

I'm in shock! My market is on the list!

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to kingfisher

I'm on the list!

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to cosmokramer

My town is on the list.

This PDF seems to indicate the speeds are here now? But downtown my Galaxy S4 doesn't seem to indicate anything different. Neither do the speed tests.

What gives?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

perhaps your S4 does not have the radio for it
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC

Galaxy S4's were AWS enabled about a year ago.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

won't be the first time Verizon blows smoke
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

mikeluscher159

join:2011-09-04
reply to cosmokramer

New York in New York.......

....I'm assuming they mean NYC?
Hopefully Staten Island

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
reply to cosmokramer

If they enabled it in Charlotte, then it is 100% saturated already. Did a speed test from near the center city and got a whoooping 3Mbps down, 3Mbps up (yay! symmetrical!)

Similar speed tests from the burbs show very close results.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to cosmokramer

If I'm not mistaken, my S3 isn't XLTE-capable but supposedly as XLTE-capable phones move to that, the standard LTE will become less saturated. I ran a couple speed tests yesterday, to 2-3 different servers, and never broke 5Mb/s. In fact, my upload speeds were consistently higher than download speeds !

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to cosmokramer

It says Detroit is live but I'm seeing nothing for any improvement either while being on supported phone.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to cosmokramer

It's in Buffalo, which I'm happy to see. Bummer I don't have an AWS-supported phone.

verizonuser

@72.106.98.x

Does homefuison support xlte ?

Cthen

Detroit, MI
reply to cosmokramer

I'm starting to think they are pulling the 'ol marketing gimmick. Meaning that in an area like mine, it's enabled on one whole tower right now that is no where near my neighborhood. That way they can claim Detroit is live.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to Smith6612

How do I know if my phone supports this?

Cthen

Detroit, MI

For me I just did a google search asking if my phone supported it.

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to cosmokramer

Ok first this is more about relieving congestion than it is speed. yes less congestion can mean faster speeds. If you live in a city you are probably are going to constantly have congestion. So just because you're not getting super fast speeds doesn't mean you don't have access to XLTE. It could mean you getting faster speeds than you would have had before. Also while the XLTE branding may have launched on the 19th, AWS has been enabled in most of these areas in the past few months. Which might explain those of you that don't see a difference in speeds from the 18th to the 19th.

said by verizonuser :

Does homefuison support xlte ?

AFAIK the homefusion equipment only supports 700 MHz. Honestly the only people using homefusion are those in rural areas where congestion wouldn't be an issue. Also distance and penetration would be an issue for rural areas. Even though the cantenna is outside if you're surrounded by trees and you don't have LOS it will harder to get a AWS signal than a 700 MHz one. I can see future cantennas supporting 600 MHz. But we're talking the end of 2018 before that happens.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by 78036364:

Also while the XLTE branding may have launched on the 19th, AWS has been enabled in most of these areas in the past few months.

Hasn't been or currently is enabled in Charlotte. In the city core, M-F daytime speeds are 2-3Mbps. Saturdays? Closer to 10. In the burbs? Still 3-5.

With reports of 80Mbps or more on AWS enabled cell sites, I'm pretty sure we're not seeing it here.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to 78036364

said by 78036364:

I can see future cantennas supporting 600 MHz. But we're talking the end of 2018 before that happens.

Where are you getting 600MHz from? According to Fierce Wireless they're using 1.7/2.2GHz. Which would make access to that spectrum more difficult.

600MHz will have much better penetration and distance range over 1.7/2.2GHz. And only marginally so over 700MHz.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
reply to cosmokramer

Just got the work phone upgraded to an S5.

Yeah, no. No XLTE....

Larry VA

@70.208.134.x

Nice: 35 Mb download now!

USA
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

Where are you getting 600MHz from?

The FCC is planning to auction off the 600 MHz airwaves next summer. I would assume Verizon would obtain some of that spectrum. And it make total sense to use that spectrum for their HomeFusion service. Since Verizon uses outdoor antennas for Homefusion I suppose to could support AWS. Their 3G is 1900 MHz isn't it?

USA
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

Hasn't been or currently is enabled in Charlotte. In the city core, M-F daytime speeds are 2-3Mbps. Saturdays? Closer to 10. In the burbs? Still 3-5.

You do realize that mobile data bandwidth is SHARED? So yeah makes sense that during the week during business hours when more people are likely to be using their phones speeds would be reduced

With reports of 80Mbps or more on AWS enabled cell sites, I'm pretty sure we're not seeing it here.

Look a cell tower sector can handle a MAX of 150 Mbps for ALL user COMBINED. So sure if someone happen to do a test on a tower when no one else is using them sure you're going to get 80 Mbps. On a tower where hundreds or thousands might be trying to access where many are streaming video or music or other data constantly no you won't. Also if you're in a building with metal or concrete barely in range of a tower then no you're not getting 80 Mbps either.

According to Verizon own list Charlotte has it. Lack of 80 Mbps is by no means an indicator of anything. Once again this is more about congestion than speed. What does one need 80 Mbps on their smartphone for anyway?

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by 78036364:

Look a cell tower sector can handle a MAX of 150 Mbps for ALL user COMBINED. So sure if someone happen to do a test on a tower when no one else is using them sure you're going to get 80 Mbps. On a tower where hundreds or thousands might be trying to access where many are streaming video or music or other data constantly no you won't. Also if you're in a building with metal or concrete barely in range of a tower then no you're not getting 80 Mbps either.

According to Verizon own list Charlotte has it. Lack of 80 Mbps is by no means an indicator of anything. Once again this is more about congestion than speed. What does one need 80 Mbps on their smartphone for anyway?

The question isnt what one needs 80Mbps on their phone for. The question is Is Verizon's Marketing department ahead of the technical reality.

The reality here is, no speed improvement has occurred. As noted by publications that as AWS spectrum is opened up, speeds increase for those AWS enabled phones and everyone else gets a bit of a bump because of less congestion.

Speeds here haven't changed since the LTE network started getting loaded. So, me thinks that AWS isn't lit up here.

For the record, the VZW tower for this corner of the city is across the street and it is trivial to stand under it and do a speed test...

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by ke4pym:

For the record, the VZW tower for this corner of the city is across the street and it is trivial to stand under it and do a speed test...

Having the pleasure of working this evening and the a-fore-mentioned tower is returning a 35/3Mbps speed test...

DoctorB0NG

@144.92.64.x

I must be one of the lucky ones. I get 70mbit down, 40mbit up in Madison, WI where there's supposedly no XLTE.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

One a good day, LTE could give you those speeds, I thought. I recall when LTE was first launched and almost no one had phones that supported it, I saw people routinely posting 50-60Mb/s speed test results.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by Hall:

One a good day, LTE could give you those speeds, I thought. I recall when LTE was first launched and almost no one had phones that supported it, I saw people routinely posting 50-60Mb/s speed test results.

Fastest I ever did on my Thunderbolt was 35 down and around 15 up.

Speeds downtown have actually gotten worse this week. I was lucky to get 1 down and .5 up today. And that's with 5 bars.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to Hall

From time to time in the Buffalo area I do see towers delivering speeds of 60Mbps/20Mbps. Most of them are stuck at around 20Mbps/5Mbps though, and some are just awful. Like, 1.5Mbps/0.2Mbps awful. These results are from an SGSIII.