spc
Search similar:

uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to telco_mtl

to telco_mtl

Re: [Plumbing] Adding a new garden faucet - How would you do it?

said by telco_mtl:

when he was doing some work when the cast iron failed in my house he sent me to nelco. if you are into pipes its almost as fun as nedco!

Yeah I forgot about going to pro plumbing shops.
I might not do to Nelco, but I did to to one in Laval in order to acquire a Liberty Pump sump pump (Instead of getting the plastic crap from Home Depot/Reno Depot).
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by alkizmo:

said by telco_mtl:

when he was doing some work when the cast iron failed in my house he sent me to nelco. if you are into pipes its almost as fun as nedco!

Yeah I forgot about going to pro plumbing shops.
I might not do to Nelco, but I did to to one in Laval in order to acquire a Liberty Pump sump pump (Instead of getting the plastic crap from Home Depot/Reno Depot).

i have learned a lot of the supply houses are more than happy to sell to the public these days, dollars is dollars and most will gladly give you one of their catalogs with MORE info on product you will ever need.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
If you don't like the ones at the big-box stores; check a wholesaler...

That said, the local retailers usually carry a couple grades; and you may find something decent if you look a little

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
You need to install an anti-siphon type faucet for exterior use when connect to a domestic potable water system.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by solder threa :

but now there's a new question. water pressure etc.
perhaps you could make another thread question for the pressure problem?
normal water pressure is about 50 psi, pounds per square inch. you can get a cheap gauge with a faucet fitting to confirm that. expect the pressure, say 60, to be highest after midnight, when hardly anyone is using water, and lowest pressure in the mornings, say 40, when folks are getting ready to go to work. your results will vary.

The main water pipe is 1/2".
If someone turns on the washing machine while I am taking a shower, the pressure drops madly.
50PSI can only delivery so many GPM through 1/2".

I tried every combination and I can't get a good coverage if I use 2+ watering devices. The best result is through an impulse sprinkler elevated on a 5 feet pole. I get a good 40-50 feet range with that.
Anything else will just get me diminishing returns in terms of range. I tried two impulse sprinklers on two different hoses. When turned on at the same time, their range dropped to 10-20 feet each depending on their angle of attack.
said by psiu:

Do you have a link to the bylaws?

Our local watering restrictions are in effect for automated sprinkler systems, but not by hand/sprinkler.

Also seems hard to believe that a rain barrel could violate. Call up your local authority and ask them about that.

Knock yourself out
»ville.montreal.qc.ca/por ··· a=PORTAL

a 1/2" main is crazy, even without in-ground sprinklers.. it should have at minimum, 3/4 main, with the various faucets coming off that with 1/2" that would solve the pressure drops without in-ground sprinklers. with in-ground sprinklers, the main and branch has to be even larger.. you need an estimate from a sprinkler company to figure out the needed sizes..

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by iknow_t:

a 1/2" main is crazy, even without in-ground sprinklers.. it should have at minimum, 3/4 main, with the various faucets coming off that with 1/2" that would solve the pressure drops without in-ground sprinklers. with in-ground sprinklers, the main and branch has to be even larger.. you need an estimate from a sprinkler company to figure out the needed sizes..

It's a 50 years old house. 1/2" was the standard.
I will live with it until I buy another house or until the copper in the ground fails.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
I don't want to be a bitch here but welding and soldering pipes are two different things.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

picky picky picky
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
One thing I've always wondered about sharkbites is that since you have dissimilar metals (copper/stainless), won't the copper corrode ???

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by kherr:

One thing I've always wondered about sharkbites is that since you have dissimilar metals (copper/stainless), won't the copper corrode ???

There is no contact between metals with sharkbites.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
»www.acehardware.com/prod ··· =2278592

About 3 years ago, a friend had a leak at the toliet supply in the crawlspace. Went to Ace, explained that I never soldered copper before. They gave me this, I followed the directions and it's still holding today.

On another note, I now DO sweat copper. I can't stand leaky hoses and dripping faucets so when the anti-siphon valve started spewing, I bought everything, including a threaded adapter and took a deep breath. Much easier than I thought, however there was some water sitting in an elbow that I had to dry out. Also learned that you can't just heat up some copper to un-join.

Using the above product seems too good to be true. But so far, it's true.

we're all connected
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

said by joewho:

On another note, I now DO sweat copper. I can't stand leaky hoses and dripping faucets so when the anti-siphon valve started spewing, I bought everything, including a threaded adapter and took a deep breath. Much easier than I thought, however there was some water sitting in an elbow that I had to dry out. Also learned that you can't just heat up some copper to un-join.

we're all connected

I have to say, once you learn to sweat copper and you see how simple it is it actually becomes fun.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by telco_mtl:

I have to say, once you learn to sweat copper and you see how simple it is it actually becomes fun.

I can sweat and braze copper - I'm competent; although by no means an expert...

I wouldn't call if "fun". For fun, I have to bust out the MIG...
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

said by LazMan:

said by telco_mtl:

I can sweat and braze copper - I'm competent; although by no means an expert...

I wouldn't call if "fun". For fun, I have to bust out the MIG...

Lazman thats my next step, buddy has a welding machine he said i can play with this summer

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

By adding a valve in between the Tee and the exterior faucet, I'd be able to cut off water supply from inside the basement and open up the exterior faucet to let the rest of the water expand when freezing.

Why bother? Get an antisiphon, frost free sillcock (or as they labelled it, "wall hydrant") and be done with it. I would have to agree though, an extra shutoff would be nice in case you ever wish to redo it (the new one wears out?). That way, any such repair is "localized," and you don't have to shut off all water.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by rchandra:

Why bother? Get an antisiphon, frost free sillcock (or as they labelled it, "wall hydrant") and be done with it. I would have to agree though, an extra shutoff would be nice in case you ever wish to redo it (the new one wears out?). That way, any such repair is "localized," and you don't have to shut off all water.

Reviews on sillcocks seem to be universally bad, whether they are the ones at homedepot.ca (same exact ones available across all big box hardware stores in Canada) or other brands on amazon.com.

Plus I don't believe that the valve inside the sillcocks is far enough from the exterior to not freeze. Temps dropping to -30c can freeze pipes inside the exterior walls if they aren't used regularly. It happened once to my laundry room when my family was out of town. Nobody was using it, so it froze in 48 hours.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

oh, my. I wonder what the longest one you could buy is. Mine's 12". (BTW...I'm all for this being a 30cm or so part, but us stupid, nonstandard Americans, so resistant to metrification).

Actually, doesn't that speak to a larger problem? I would think some insulation around the sillcock would keep your valve warm enough not to freeze. Your basement can't be anywhere near 0. You probably want to do this anyway around your whole perimeter to reduce the stack effect.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by rchandra:

oh, my. I wonder what the longest one you could buy is. Mine's 12". (BTW...I'm all for this being a 30cm or so part, but us stupid, nonstandard Americans, so resistant to metrification).

14" is the longest. Canada still functions with inches/feet for construction materials.
said by rchandra:

Actually, doesn't that speak to a larger problem? I would think some insulation around the sillcock would keep your valve warm enough not to freeze. Your basement can't be anywhere near 0. You probably want to do this anyway around your whole perimeter to reduce the stack effect.

At -30C, I would think the freezing temperature would just travel along the metal of the sillcock and reach the valve.

I prefer an indoor valve anyway. I often use it to turn On/Off the sprinklers. I am going to use programmable timers but the cheap ones don't detect if it's raining. I could then just turn off the inside valve so that the sprinklers don't sprinkle when it's drizzling
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

said by alkizmo:

I prefer an indoor valve anyway. I often use it to turn On/Off the sprinklers. I am going to use programmable timers but the cheap ones don't detect if it's raining. I could then just turn off the inside valve so that the sprinklers don't sprinkle when it's drizzling

myself its that i got a terrible neighbor kid who likes to play with my garden hose, so i put the valve under the kitchen sink and turn it off as needed.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

I prefer an indoor valve anyway. I often use it to turn On/Off the sprinklers.

Even if you use frost free it is always a good idea to have a shutoff just in case.

Sounds like a to-do list for another summer project - add a rain sensor. They are pretty cheap and be easy to integrate it into a timer.
»www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Orb ··· c9fd8f1c

/tom
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to alkizmo

to alkizmo
It will be difficult to fit the T into the existing line of pipe without using a coupler fitting. You should also have a shutoff valve with a drain plug in the line going to the outside faucet, so you can shut off the water and drain the pipe going to the faucet during the winter so it won't freeze.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
I think plumbing in minus 30 needs special attention
mityfowl

mityfowl to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
But that said we used to get to minus 20 in northern Illinois sometimes.

I don't remember special plumbing
Expand your moderator at work
mityfowl

mityfowl to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo

This was a long time ago but was all cold iron pipes? Hot copper?

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6

said by John Galt6:

You need to install an anti-siphon type faucet for exterior use when connect to a domestic potable water system.

They are not required in many areas! Depending on where the OP lives they may not be required they are either.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

What I want to know is how would you do it to KISS?
I have no experience soldering copper joints together.

If you really want to avoid using a soldering torch, there are "cold solder" kits at Home Depot, etc.

If you can get samples of nanofoil from Indium Corp, you just need a 9V battery for true brazing in a flash. Check youtube vidoes!

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful

said by lutful:

If you really want to avoid using a soldering torch, there are "cold solder" kits at Home Depot, etc.

If you can get samples of nanofoil from Indium Corp, you just need a 9V battery for true brazing in a flash. Check youtube vidoes!

I've never seen anything called a cold solder kit at Home Depot or anyplace else, do you have a link to a reference for them? It would certainly work against the laws of physics.

I've actually played with the nanofoil and there's no way you could use it to solder copper water pipes. It has to be between the 2 surfaces when ignited and it would be impossible to get it between the pipe and the connector for water pipes. It creates intense heat for a very short period of time. It's good for applications where you don't want the adjoining materials to get warm, such as when soldering electronics where you don't want to damage the components with heat.