All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
clawfury
join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI

clawfury

[MoP] Challenge Modes - anyone interested?

Hi Guys,
So I was wondering - over the next few months, until the expansion, I'd like to get a gold challenge mode group going. I really want that set of Druid transmog armor, and bragging rights, of course. Since it will disappear with the expansion, I'm thinking this is a good time to do it. I plan to tank on my druid - I'd like to get a healer, and 3 dps. I'm thinking perhaps I'd like to set one night a week, and set aside a few hours to meet up and work on one at a time. I'm on EST, and typically available after 7pm. I believe these can be done X-realm now. My battle.net ID is Fistfury#1830 - if you add me, please leave a comment so I know who you are. Thanks! Any comments on good group structure would be welcome, as well.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

Are you Horde or Alliance? I've wanted to do it with my rogue, but haven't been on too much lately with work. That time may work a few nights a week for me.
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

Good point, forgot to include that. I'm Alliance, Bobby. I can do later, too, if needed, that's just when I would be available. A rogue would be really nice - stuns, group stealth, tricks, etc.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

Ahh. I was Alliance for my entire WoW career until about 6 months ago. Ah well, good luck!
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

Ah, too bad. Thanks! I've been alliance all of my WoW "career", I temporarily had a few hordies....then x-ferred them back :P

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to clawfury

to clawfury
I'm EU, and Horde so I can't although I'd love to.

My first toon was a night elf druid but I hated it. Now I'm all about the Horde.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to clawfury

to clawfury
As you know, I'm game. We can post something on our guild forums also and see if we can drum up some interest. If you are doing the research, you can even pick which ranged dps class you want me to bring (since challenge modes are heavily class reliant).
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

Cool. Yeah, we had discussed that in-game, I know it just depended on your WoW time lately. All good. I want to bring my guardian - he's already tuned up for gold + endless proving grounds, so that's a good start. For ranged dps - I'm thinking warlock/hunter/rogue or frost DK. That would give us a couple of stuns, a group stealth to bypass trash packs we can skip, etc.
clawfury

clawfury

So far, we have:

- Clawfury (guardian druid)
- Carpie (on his warlock)
- A really good resto druid from my server

Going to be looking for a high burst melee dps with good mobility/some AOE stun + another ranged dps.

Pollux7777
join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Pollux7777 to clawfury

to clawfury
I'm totally down if you ever see me online. I'll add you to my real ID. Right now the only 90 I have is a warrior. I just tried my first challenge mode ever the other day with some other absolution guildies. Believe me it's no joke. We missed a silver rating by about 4 minutes.

I did a little reading about CM's afterwards and apparently the conventional thinking is that ranged classes are much better than melee. I can say that I definitely struggled to maintain my DPS, but that might be partly due to the fact that I'm fury spec, and fury requires a high crit rating to perform well, and my crit got downgraded like hell.

I don't know if I'm the best guy to bring along if you're going for gold, but I can probably help you get at least a bronze.

Otherwise if you're willing to wait I'm also leveling a shammy (resto/elemental) that I'm planning to boost once he reaches 60 (he's 42 now). He might prove more useful than my warrior.

Either way, I'd love to run some with you. The one I did with the guild was really fun!
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

Thanks Pollux, I'll definitely add you. Yeah, typically ranged classes are better, but I want one melee class with high burst AOE dps. The shaman (elemental) would probably be OK - the warrior not bad, though - you have an AOE frontal cone stun, great AOE burst, and tons of mobility. I believe you on the difficulty level, I've heard it's not easy. I'm looking forward to it, though - I haven't had a chance to step inside one yet this xpac, and the window to actually get the title/mount/transmog armor and achievement will close within 3-4 months, I'd guess.
clawfury

clawfury

So, here's my starting line-up:
- Guardian Druid
- Warlock
- Frost Mage
- Fury Warrior
- Resto Druid

We shall see how this goes! Wish us luck, I'll post updates, we plan to start next week. I'm going to farm invisibility pots/agi pots/flasks this week, and do some research on strategy. My initial thoughts are that we should have good burst, fairly good CC, and good mobility (multiple group +move speed buffs). Also a good mix of CD's for extra burst (time warp, skull banner).
clawfury

clawfury

In case anyone is interested - I organized my first group last night. Organized being used loosely, because DPS was all over the place. Only had one regular one, he showed up, the other two were PUGS. It was fun, but I'd say we only got 5 minutes of actual playtime in an hour - I get the feeling people think challenges modes are something you go in, push a button, and win. We'd literally have a wipe, or a dog would bug out (Scarlet halls) - and a DPS would either ninja leave, or say they "had to go". I didn't have a DPS stay longer than 2 pulls, and we only did about 5. Was frustrating to say the least. I'm going to work on finding more consistent DPS. The healer was good, and I know he's consistent. We had the trash packs up to the first boss down smoothly, just kept losing DPS.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

It's not for scrubs....
Ah memories of heroic shadow labs....
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

Definitely not. It also takes work, and learning to coordinate, which eliminates 95% of the people that respond to a trade request for DPS. Going to have to work harder on finding consistent DPS with proper skills.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby to Lothario

Premium Member

to Lothario
said by Lothario:

It's not for scrubs....
Ah memories of heroic shadow labs....

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY WHORE MOUTH! >: |

I ran that fucking dungeon about a hundred times trying to get those non-existant pants off of Murmur. I never want to think of that place again.
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

lol. Heroic slabs was a nightmare with a PUG group.

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to qualitybobby

to qualitybobby
Lf mage and hunter for cc HSlabs.getting 1 shot by the stealthed rogue was fun...
The other brutal ones were blood furnace and shattered halls. The orcs would 1 shot anything not in plate.
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

I remember. Those were the days. BC heroics were hard to find people for, too - you would always get someone who " didn't have that key yet". lol
clawfury

clawfury to Lothario

to Lothario
I know I'm just an average WoW player - but I've never felt like as much of a bad as I did this morning - watching that sub 3 minute Scarlet Halls gold run by Method that was posted on MMO-C this morning. That was literally insane.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to clawfury

to clawfury
What I dislike about challenge modes is the reliance on stealth and invisibility potions. I want to challenge myself, not be forced to cheese tactics to get results.
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

Watch that video. You'll be agape. They skip nothing - pull every trash pack, and take 4-5 trash packs with them into each boss - and finish all in sub 3. It's a brewmaster/disc tank heals combo, and a mage/hunter/warlock for dps, if I remember right.
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z to clawfury

to clawfury
I'd love to, but alas I'm all horde cept for a lvl 85 druid...

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to clawfury

to clawfury
Aoe fest....
Monk just spinning kicks everything too.
Not sure there is that much skill.....
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

Yeah, that's true - but if I've learned anything about these pro guilds - their videos make very spectacular things look simple - stuff that requires good execution, timing, and fast reflexes. The fact that the healer is able to keep him alive through all of that in 463 downscaled gear is amazing to me.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby to clawfury

Premium Member

to clawfury
It's funny how people bitched about the Cata heroics when they came out. They were hard because you were using the dungeon finder.

Heroic Shattered Halls, SLabs, and maybe The Arcatraz were FAR harder than those. It took precision CC, ranged pulls, and coordination. None of the crap now where you zone in and just cain pull the first room. You'd wipe in about 4 seconds trying that is SLabs.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by qualitybobby:

Heroic Shattered Halls, SLabs, and maybe The Arcatraz were FAR harder than those. It took precision CC, ranged pulls, and coordination. None of the crap now where you zone in and just cain pull the first room. You'd wipe in about 4 seconds trying that is SLabs.

amen, brother. LoS pulls where the norm, not the odd exception that you have to explain in detail thus eliminating utility. MD was standard fair for trash pulls... not just the occasional boss pull.

I wish that when you went from normal to heroic raiding, that the trash became more technical (not just "more"), with increased chance/quality of World Drops. However, the challenge dungeon model is probably the right place to put all of this... so few go in there and succeed anyway.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

Agreed. The problem is that you had communities on servers before where you knew the reputations of people and knew if the guild they were in was good or scrubs. With the LFD/LFR tools, you are basically rolling the dice and no one wants to be bothered with strategy or communicating. It's about doing it as fast as possible to get your 80 valor.

I really do miss that about the old game.... server reputation meant something and it discouraged asshats and ninjas. I think my favorite of those 3 was Shattered Halls though. That long hallway after the frist boss where they kept firing the flame arrows at you as you tried to survive the waves of trash coming at you. Trying to go as fast as possible to beat the timer to save the prisoners..... That was a well designed, hard as hell dungeon.
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury to Immer

to Immer
LoS is truly a lost art. I agree. It used to be an expected skill as a tank - now if you drop a DnD or do the keg toss into another room and slip around a corner to collect the mobs - the dps just runs into the room and starts to pew pew. Good luck trying to explain it.

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

I miss doing dire maul king runs. Was always a fun instance at 60. Plus the gankfests at the entrance.