spc
uniqs
78204168 (banned)
join:2013-02-28

1 recommendation

78204168 (banned) to 78036364

to 78036364

Re: yawn.

you must work for Verizon Wireless... That congestion excuse is getting long in the tooth. It's a myth!! You automatically assume that if unlimited data was given that the networks would become congested... Even if that was the issue, they can always put up more towers in heavily congested areas and use multiple gigabit fiber or microwave backhaul to feed those towers.. They don't even have to go with unlimited data.. 100GB would be plenty for most and I seriously doubt with 100GB data caps, the network would suffer from usage. The problem is that all of these cellular providers make billions each month and are slow to build out their networks. They spend more money in wowing the public with stupid commercials and paying their executives that for the most part have absolutely no idea how the technology even works..
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by 78204168:

you must work for Verizon Wireless... That congestion excuse is getting long in the tooth. It's a myth!! You automatically assume that if unlimited data was given that the networks would become congested

A myth? Ok why did they spend $3.6 billion for AWS spectrum and billions more deploying it? For shits and giggles? All the customers complaining abut congestion are liars? fact is Verizon has had congestion especially in the large metros that's why they are deploying AWS and that with only 25%-30% having unlimited data. And no I don't work for Verizon just because I'm not part of the "Mobile Data is a Magical Resource that is Infinite and Works On Sunshine and Rainbows and Pixie Dust" club.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

$3.6 billion is only a fraction of what they earn in one year. They spent $150 billion to buy out vodaphone's stake.

The fact that they've been able to support their entire massive user base thus far with measly 10/10 channels at 700 MHz (with towers spread so far out) speaks volumes about how much capacity LTE has. Category 8 will be here in just a few years and bring a 10X increase in capacity.
78204168 (banned)
join:2013-02-28

78204168 (banned) to 78036364

to 78036364
They spent $3.6 billion to rollout AWS to increase bandwidth yes. But the congestion due to the unlimited data thing is a myth. Congestion is the result of too many people saturating 1 tower at one time. Put up more towers to load balance the network and the congestion doesn't happen.

Rolling out AWS spectrum gives out more bandwidth per tower and may increase the number of subscribers per sector antenna with compatible devices, but it has nothing to do with unlimited or increased data caps.

More bandwidth will essentially cutdown on congestion because it shortens the time it takes subscribers devices to download content. A YouTube HD video downloading on XLTE to a smartphone today will cut the time in more than half the time.

As for the $3.6 billion.. I fucking drop in the bucket to what these wireless companies make. I dare you to look at the CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report) of any of these wireless monopolies. They essentially have 2 sets of books.. What they claim they make and what they actually make due to investments, etc.
Thistool
join:2013-12-05
Auburn, WA

Thistool to 78036364

to 78036364
All those zeros and ones are farmed from the binary mines. Of course they are a limited protected resource that should be respected. Man I'm sure glad I was in the navy for 20 years to protect your natural resources of spectrum. P.S. corporation are people I mean they live and breathe. Plus there feelings get hurt if you don't believe the manure they shell out.

Best wishes
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin
said by sonicmerlin:

$3.6 billion is only a fraction of what they earn in one year.

They still aren't going to spend it for shits and giggles which is what you are implying.

They spent $150 billion to buy out vodaphone's stake.

Yes because now instead of getting 55% of the profits they get 100%. It's not hard how to see that pays for itself. And a lot of that $150 bil was Verizon stock not real money.

The fact that they've been able to support their entire massive user base thus far with measly 10/10 channels at 700 MHz (with towers spread so far out) speaks volumes about how much capacity LTE has.

They've only now just reached the point where 50% of the devices on their network are LTE capable. And they've only recently just achieved LTE deployment everywhere. And not so coincidently they run out of capacity so much they have invested billions in deploying AWS. Trust me if Verizon is as greedy as people think they wouldn't waste billions deploying spectrum if 700 MHz was working just fine.

Category 8 will be here in just a few years and bring a 10X increase in capacity.

Yes IN A FEW YEARS. That's not TODAY. I a FEW YEARS when Cat 8 is deployed then they can think out unlimited data or at least caps that match what cable offers.

78036364 (banned) to Thistool

to Thistool
said by Thistool:

All those zeros and ones are farmed from the binary mines. Of course they are a limited protected resource that should be respected. Man I'm sure glad I was in the navy for 20 years to protect your natural resources of spectrum. P.S. corporation are people I mean they live and breathe. Plus there feelings get hurt if you don't believe the manure they shell out.

Best wishes

Sorry you're right bandwidth and spectrum are magical and infinite things that are run on pixie dust and unicorn farts and are of endless supply. 1 million people should all be able to steam 4 K video from the same tower just because I say so because that's how grown up world works.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to 78036364

to 78036364
Despite spending money on spectrum and deployment they managed a 51% profit margin. That $3.6 billion was nothing to them, merely the cost of doing business in an insanely profitable market.

They've actually been incredibly slow at deploying more spectrum. They won't shut down their 2G network until the end of the decade, and who knows how much spectrum they're squatting on.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to 78204168

to 78204168
said by 78204168:

congestion due to the unlimited data thing is a myth. Congestion is the result of too many people saturating 1 tower at one time. Put up more towers to load balance the network and the congestion doesn't happen.

well from what i've read, a lot of this is determined by local municipal ordinances, many of which heavily restrict the ability to install new towers of any sort. i think city/state governments usually despise them for appearance reasons.

but in theory, i think this is the right solution. if your network is congested to the point of degrading users' experience heavily, it should be the network managers' task to provide more throughput in whatever way possible. limiting/throtlling users is a stopgap for a bigger problem.