Just Firewall It
Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

1 recommendation

SYNACK

Mod

Not that much contrast!

From a statistical point of view, the differences are not that remarkable, even between the top and bottom ranked outfits. Not a single company provides stellar scores (e.g. 85+%), so the real live difference is not what it is made to look like. If you would switch from the bottom to the top ranked provider based on that list, you'll only have a 20% better chance to be satisfied.
All the bar graphs in that report are highly biased and overemphasize the small differences. For a more realistic look, the scale for the bar graphs should always go from 0 to 100.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72

Look at the massive drop in FiOS. I can tell you for sure they have become much more anti-consumer in the last year (below the line fees, and above) and purposely causing peering issues with CDNs, saying to their customers if you don't have FiOS you aren't getting it, etc....

There is however night and day difference though. Even Verizon's diminishing scores and service is nowhere as nightmarish as dealings I have had with TWC. I would put Verizon at a B- and TWC D- at best. TBH, their people are not bad, it's just they are neither empowered, have the tools, or are properly trained. It basically boils down to management incompetence and/or focus on the bottom line.

These guys are simply consolidating only to be broken up by the government in 10 years when they go too far.

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm

I saw a FiOS van in a grocery store parking lot the other day. On the side it said something along the lines of:

Nation's Fastest Network*

I couldn't find on the vehicle what the * meant.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by norm:

I saw a FiOS van in a grocery store parking lot the other day. On the side it said something along the lines of:

Nation's Fastest Network*

I couldn't find on the vehicle what the * meant.

"Service not available everywhere." most likely....

I see FIOS ads everywhere here too, but the greater LA area is about 50% AT&T, 50% Verizon on the telco side (give or take 5%, I didn't do the actual math), but TWC covers about 80%. (Cox 15%, Charter 5%, again not actual math).

So if they want to advertise on cable to please come to FIOS, they have to have a disclaimer in there somewhere that all you people in AT&T territory, are still screwed.
dotditdot
join:2009-09-23
Santa Fe, NM

1 edit

1 recommendation

dotditdot to elefante72

to elefante72
B- is being generous. I just had fios installed and am not impressed. Between the techs that couldn't be bothered to show up on time, being forced to buy a lousy $100 router (or rent it), as well as the mediocre performance of the connection (probably all peering related); I feel like I'm paying overpaying (and I signed up during the recent promo).

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
At lest there's fios in the city where you live I saw a fios ad in Cleveland there is no fios for a 100 miles or more...