Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

JOHN CARTER: WARLORD OF MARS Jumps From Marvel To Dynamite

»www.newsarama.com/21165- ··· ate.html
quote:
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc., the company founded by the author to protect and maintain his literary creations, and one of the comics industry's leaders, Publisher Dynamite Entertainment, announced today a comprehensive agreement that will see the return of Burroughs' original "John Carter: Warlord of Mars" to the pages of comic books, comic strips and graphic novels.The agreement allows for the world-wide publication of the John Carter universe as well as "Lord of the Jungle" and ERB's library of archival material.

The initiative comes on the heels of the reacquisition of comic book rights by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. that had been held by Walt Disney Pictures and its Marvel Entertainment subsidiary, as well as a recent legal settlement with Dynamite that cleared the way for Dynamite to introduce key characters and plot elements from the John Carter back story that were, until now, absent from recent comic book interpretations.

It appears Disney still retains the movie rights, however. Nice artwork.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Loved the movie.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Same. Some are hoping this may lead to a "reboot" of the movie franchise. Though others are fairly certain that as long as Disney retains the movie rights, there is no hope.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I still don't understand why Disney crapped all over this.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

No idea. It was a decent film, just marketed poorly. I suspect the "conspiracy" people are right, though. Meaning they think Disney need a tax write off because of how big the Avengers would be. So they sacrificed John Carter of Mars. But it did end up making money, just not as fast as they may have wanted.

SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

SRFireside to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
Management decisions did a lot to kill the movie. Director Andrew Stanton had a hand at the bad marketing with his decisions on the commercials and other advertising would be. There is some debate on who changed the name from John Carter of Mars, but if you ask me that didn't help.

Then you have the critics who panned the film as being a B-Movie with an A-Movie budget. Top that off with Disney practically writing off the film before it was released and only giving it limited marketing (no product tie-ins or merchandising) and it's no wonder the film didn't do great.

At the same time John Carter isn't the box office failure everybody says it was. It made its production budget when worldwide ticket sales are factored in. Plus video sales topped the charts with over $35 million the first week alone. Still a financial disappointment when you factor marketing costs (and the desire for high profit margin).

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Ya. Though I'm curious who would buy merchandise from the movie?
I would maybe buy the action figures, if they looked "cool" enough. Papo does a decent job of making nice looking figures:
»www.thebigzoo.com/shoppi ··· id=29979

Maybe they'll do some action figures based on the comics.
Look at the detail of this resin statue of a walking dead figure:
»toywars.com/products/dcd ··· odGjIA3A

Pretty nice.