join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to David

Premium Member

to David

Re: New Firmware:6.11.1.29-enh.tm

said by David:

I did get some info on this, 6.11 does enable IPv6.

All I can say is "THANK GOD!"

not sure on the whole "protocol 41" so someone will have to let me know about that. it's currently being deployed slowly (or as I was told it's in the walk phase of deployment).

Do you know of any other improvements that the above posters didn't find?

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
I didn't get all the info except about Ipv6...

mindlesstux
join:2004-09-20
Wake Forest, NC
ARRIS SB6183
MikroTik hAP AC

mindlesstux to David

to David
said by David:

I did get some info on this, 6.11 does enable IPv6.

All I can say is "THANK GOD!"

not sure on the whole "protocol 41" so someone will have to let me know about that. it's currently being deployed slowly (or as I was told it's in the walk phase of deployment).

I cant wait till someone mentions if protocol 41 works or not, can't wait right now for the firmware to find its way to my 3801.

Other questions I have may sound silly but still need to ask:
- Will we gain ability to control rdns for the delegated addresses eventually/somehow? I expect no, but wishful thinking.
- How will connections via IPv6 (ATT's IPv6 that is) be handled by the modem. Right now I have a router behind the 3801 (in DMZ+ mode) and there is two connection tracking tables, once in each router. At last look (and could be wrong on this) the 3801 via IPv4 only allowed up to 1024 established connections as where my gear can handle at least 10x that.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by mindlesstux:

- Will we gain ability to control rdns for the delegated addresses eventually/somehow? I expect no, but wishful thinking.

Definitely wishful thinking at this point. Maybe someday.
said by mindlesstux:

- How will connections via IPv6 (ATT's IPv6 that is) be handled by the modem. Right now I have a router behind the 3801 (in DMZ+ mode) and there is two connection tracking tables, once in each router. At last look (and could be wrong on this) the 3801 via IPv4 only allowed up to 1024 established connections as where my gear can handle at least 10x that.

That is the downside of DMZ+ and IP Passthrough is that they aren't true bridging and require the RG to maintain session state for MAC rewrite on the public IPv4 address. So you are limited by the hardware configuration of the RG in that case. At least the newer NVG589 supports 8192 simultaneous connections.

With IPv6, however, I don't know that this session tracking limitation is the case as the IPv6 address assignments are actually delegated and routed. It is not bridging or even fake bridging anymore.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Another comment.

When I use "netstat" to show current connection, it turns out that a lot of them are now IPv6. Often around half of them are IPv6.

This is probably good. The 3800-HGV router does not need to do NAT translation for IPv6, so this probably reduces the load on that router.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

1 recommendation

rolande

MVM,

Yep nwrickert See Profile. It is all good stuff. From what I can tell the NVG589 is providing security features for IPv6 that prevent inbound traffic initiation among other things.

Hopefully, once AT&T has all their U-verse/Gigapower CPE IPv6 enabled, we'll start to see more and more big content providers going dual-stack, as well. As IPv4 address becomes more scarce, the providers will be forced into NAT or offloading those that can support IPv6 as they scale their platforms horizontally. I'm actually kind of excited to finally witness this transition after talking about it for years.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

1 recommendation

nwrickert

Mod

said by rolande:

From what I can tell the NVG589 is providing security features for IPv6 that prevent inbound traffic initiation among other things.

That would be good. The security issue is a concern, once we lose the protection provided by NAT.
said by rolande:

I'm actually kind of excited to finally witness this transition after talking about it for years.

Yes, me too. I've been ready for IPv6 for about 12 years (at least with solaris and linux). It has been a long wait.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

1 edit

1 recommendation

rolande

MVM,

said by nwrickert:

I've been ready for IPv6 for about 12 years (at least with solaris and linux). It has been a long wait.

Me too. Well maybe not 12 years. But at least 6 years.

I did play around on the 6Bone back in 2004-2005 timeframe with a tunnel off of my Cisco router and I installed IPv6 on a couple of my Linux boxes. After I tinkered with it off and on for a few months, I ignored it because there was literally nothing out there.

Then I setup an HE.net tunnel back in 2010 once again off of my Cisco router and tinkered with it a little more. This time I got my Mac setup and functioning. I watched a few webcams and tested some stuff out and started the little IPv6 Certification program that Hurricane Electric established. Then, again, I started to ignore it.

Then AT&T broke my IPv6 tunnel with the 2Wire upgrade last year and I played around with setting up 6rd with AT&T to replace my old tunnel. Of course it only worked on the local segment attached to the RG because there were no options to route or delegate prefixes to my internal router and you couldn't run the 6rd tunnel off your own router because the RG still broke this traffic. Now, with the NVG589, I finally have it working with prefix delegation. This is the best setup I've had yet.

Now, as time goes on, pretty much all AT&T customers will just natively have IPv6 on their local RG LAN segment and probably not even realize it. I have to give some kudos to AT&T for being somewhat proactive on this. It is in their own best interests long-term anyway. But it is still refreshing to see them put the effort in to lay the foundation of support this far in advance of the market transition. I'm interested to see how long it will be before they go dual-stack and run IPv6 natively on their access backbone, instead of using the 6rd tunnels.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I feel like some people in my neighborhood somehow got this update, but it won't let me lol.

I have seen some 2wires that never reboot, reboot. Even the oldest woman on the whole road had her 2wire reboot.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

1 recommendation

nwrickert

Mod

An interesting note on IPv6.

As a test, I did a google search for "walmart". The google page came up with an entry that had a map of walmarts near me. It showed an area near Milwaukee. But I'm actually near Chicago.

Apparently the geolocation stuff is not very good for IPv6. I haven't decided whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by nwrickert:

An interesting note on IPv6.

As a test, I did a google search for "walmart". The google page came up with an entry that had a map of walmarts near me. It showed an area near Milwaukee. But I'm actually near Chicago.

Apparently the geolocation stuff is not very good for IPv6. I haven't decided whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

It probably needs a little time to get your IPV6 location updated. My IPV4 always says I'm in the next town over lol.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

1 recommendation

rolande to nwrickert

MVM,

to nwrickert
Geo-location of IP space is only as good as the netblock registration info and that of the one or two transit hops just upstream from your RG and any reverse DNS entries. It isn't magical.

IPv4 geo-location is decent because it has had a long time to mature and the vast majority of the related netblocks are all registered and many of the ISPs have telltale reverse DNS that indicates location. Give it time.

SomeJoe7777
join:2010-03-30
Houston, TX

3 recommendations

SomeJoe7777 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

I'm curious how UVRT reports this though. If the same people kept opening UVRT, would it keep recording them as separate reports? I ask because it may just be the same one person lol.

Each individual gateway that UV Realtime sees is treated individually and uniquely in the database. Thus, if the percentage is increasing, that represents an increasing number of gateways with the firmware, not just additional reports from the same person.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by SomeJoe7777:

said by Darknessfall:

I'm curious how UVRT reports this though. If the same people kept opening UVRT, would it keep recording them as separate reports? I ask because it may just be the same one person lol.

Each individual gateway that UV Realtime sees is treated individually and uniquely in the database. Thus, if the percentage is increasing, that represents an increasing number of gateways with the firmware, not just additional reports from the same person.

Thanks for posting SomeJoe.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to David

Premium Member

to David
said by David:

not sure on the whole "protocol 41"...

Protocol 41 is dropped by the network long before it reaches any modem. See rolande's stickied post for my traceroutes.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
Anyone else think this is a slow rollout?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Secyurityet:

Anyone else think this is a slow rollout?

If it's anything like the last update, most people won't see it until the end of June/start of July.

I actually saw two 2wires reboot around the same time tonight which I found kind of odd.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
We still haven't gotten it around here, which is odd, since we tend to get them before most people.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
Three weeks to get to 3.5 percent of the 3800s...

at that rate, we'll all have it sometime in 2016.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

1 recommendation

NormanS to gadawg

MVM

to gadawg
said by gadawg:

What does IPv6 do that IPv4 doesn't?

Not much, really. But there are only 2^32 (~4 billion) IPv4 IP addresses; and the U.S. is close to running out.

Who needs to use it?

Anybody who wants to connect with an IPv6 only web site will need it. Since there aren't any such, yet, that I know of in the U.S., if your surfing habits are U.S.-centric, you shouldn't need IPv6 for maybe another decade.

Addeddum: Apparently Microsoft does, for their Azure platform!

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

1 recommendation

nwrickert to gadawg

Mod

to gadawg
said by gadawg:

What does IPv6 do that IPv4 doesn't?

Here's one:

% host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com has address 74.125.142.26
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com has IPv6 address 2607:f8b0:4001:c03::1b

That gives me the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses of the gmail smtp server.

First, try the IPv4 address:

% telnet 74.125.142.26 smtp
Trying 74.125.142.26...

That didn't get anywhere, because my ISP is blocking outbound port 25 connections.

Now try IPv6:

% telnet 2607:f8b0:4001:c03::1b smtp
Trying 2607:f8b0:4001:c03::1b...
Connected to 2607:f8b0:4001:c03::1b.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.google.com ESMTP xxxx.0 - gsmtp
QUIT
221 2.0.0 closing connection xxxx.0 - gsmtp
Connection closed by foreign host.

That one connected. I'm only blocked on IPv4, not on IPv6.

This is not important for anything I do, and perhaps it is just an oversight, that they forgot to block port 25 on IPv6.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

said by nwrickert:

That didn't get anywhere, because my ISP is blocking outbound port 25 connections.

Not all do:
C:\util\dig>telnet 74.125.142.26 smtp
Connecting To 74.125.142.26...

220 mx.google.com ESMTP h5si3561227igg.14 - gsmtp
quit
221 2.0.0 closing connection h5si3561227igg.14 - gsmtp

Connection to host lost.

:D
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

2 recommendations

Paralel to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Speaking of the necessity of IPv6:

»www.winbeta.org/news/mic ··· reserves

kode54
join:2003-09-19
Riverside, CA

kode54 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Yeah, my 3801HGV-B is one of those "never reboots" devices, as it hasn't rebooted in about 207 days. I hope it decides to reboot in the middle of the night, as we tend to have various TV shows recording at odd times throughout the week.

Kett2000
Premium Member
join:2002-04-23
Lilburn, GA

1 recommendation

Kett2000 to Secyurityet

Premium Member

to Secyurityet
said by Secyurityet:

Three weeks to get to 3.5 percent of the 3800s...

at that rate, we'll all have it sometime in 2016.

4.47% for the 3800s now. It appears AT&T is ramping up deployment of the new firmware now.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

1 recommendation

nwrickert

Mod

If they get it finished by the end of the month they will have met their June 30 deadline (except two years late).

ZeCanard
The Cosmic Duck
join:2002-09-26
Longmont, CO

ZeCanard to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Looks like the deployment was halted Numbers have been dropping lately…

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by ZeCanard:

that's probably because of the holiday (7/4) coming up.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by David:

said by ZeCanard:

that's probably because of the holiday (7/4) coming up.

During the 6.9.1.42-enh.tm update I received it on June 29th. Some people received it on or right before July 4th. That's when a majority were upgraded.

»6.9.1.42-enh.tm Firmware - What Improvements?
»forums.att.com/t5/Reside ··· /3516839
Darknessfall

Darknessfall to ZeCanard

Premium Member

to ZeCanard
said by ZeCanard:

Looks like it dropped even more.