Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LanDroid2

join:2004-12-20
Cincinnati, OH

Upcoming Snowden bombshell

quote:
Glenn Greenwald: We published the first article [about the NSA collecting Verizon phone records] while I was in Hong Kong last June and won't stop until we're done. I think we will end the big stories in about three months or so [June or July 2014]. I like to think of it as a fireworks show: You want to save your best for last. There's a story that from the beginning I thought would be our biggest, and I'm saving that. The last one is the one where the sky is all covered in spectacular multicolored hues. This will be the finale, a big missing piece. Snowden knows about it and is excited about it.

»www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmak···-to-hide (page 2)
Just for fun, what do you think the new revelations might involve?

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink

4 recommendations

said by LanDroid2:

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Parad0X787
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
Premium
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB
reply to LanDroid2
Sometimes, what I don't know, does NOT make me high ..... here another one "Assange threatens to release Snowden info that Greenwald says could endanger lives" .... [ »ca.news.yahoo.com/assange-threat···644.html ]

nony
Premium
join:2012-11-17
New York, NY
reply to LanDroid2
I think he's going reveal how our broadband routers, eMTAs, all of them, can be commanded (triggered) to faithfully deliver all of our traffic to Dod. (Can you guess who does the provisioning?)

Too soon?

Chubbzie

join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
reply to LanDroid2
That... people are strange... Earth is a biological Rubik's Cube... ant hives control our weather patterns... or possibly Horton can hear us when we use nuclear weapons?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to LanDroid2
Putin is his sugar daddy?

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
kudos:1
reply to LanDroid2
That the whole thing has been an elaborate hoax to scare the sh*t out of them thar terroristas. Move along, folks, nothing to see here.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
reply to LanDroid2
Everything you think, say and do.

nony
Premium
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to jvmorris
Hey Reston, Greenwald is transitioning from outsider to ?? and now some of us suspect its all about the money (on money: some of you have no idea how much money and resources have, and continues to be spent/committed to contain & clean this mess, though some of you do) -

»www.corbettreport.com/interview-···sa-saga/

nony
Premium
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to LanDroid2
The best revelations can't come from him as the programs have evolved/morphed, and with our new enhanced polygraph protocol, we can weed out poorly indoctrinated contractors before/during/after their SAP/SCI engagements.

»www.fas.org/irp/nro/ig-polygraph.pdf

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
What about "poorly indoctrinated" NSA employees? Like Thomas Drake?
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

nony
Premium
New York, NY

4 edits
The behavioralists are really raking it in on their overtime. We have an abundance of classified and unclassifed "lessons learned" docs on Drake - he's been well peer-reviewed.
»www.fas.org/sgp/news/2012/07/nsa-wws.pdf
»www.fas.org/sgp/jud/drake/index.html

But what is clear - behavioralists don't condition well.

Warfare is warfare
Tradecraft is tradecraft
Tech is tech

-nony

stu

join:2000-11-03
Patchogue, NY
reply to LanDroid2
As a thought.

The automatic flushers in public rest rooms are also camera's run by NSA.

They send your ID and picture via a program implanted in your cell phone.

The reason Snowdon is in Russia is because he has a picture of Putin.

Stu

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to DataDoc

quote:
Yes!! -- I would love getting the original/un-molested version of Part 3! (I thankfully have 1 and 2 (2 was quite a surprise getting))

LanDroid2

Cincinnati, OH
reply to Parad0X787

Re: Upcoming Snowden bombshell

said by Parad0X787:

Sometimes, what I don't know, does NOT make me high ..... here another one "Assange threatens to release Snowden info that Greenwald says could endanger lives" .... [ »ca.news.yahoo.com/assange-threat···644.html ]

Assange claims it is Afghanistan:
»www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/···00881795

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to LanDroid2
Hasn't Assange figured it out yet, no gives a rats ass what he has to say anymore, his 15 minutes are so over. The guy could walk out of the embassy, get on a flight to Sweden flying coach naked and the only way anyone would know about it is if they read page 43 of the best rag newspaper they could find.

As far as Snowden's bombshell goes, you'll likely have to wake me up after the 'big event' as I suspect I know what he has already been told to say (J.R. wasn't shot by Kristin Shepard maybe???).

A Canadian band named Chilliwack from way back when had it about right when they wrote the song Crazy Talk:

You can dance, you can sing
Like a puppet on a string
But you ain't in control of a single thing

Often its the puppeteer that more interesting then the puppet and in this case I find the stage is rather interesting as well (Russia, I think they woke up one day and found themselves on a convenient ride so they are going with it).

What I think will be more interesting is what comes after Snowden, who the next 'truth hero' is as really how many shocking 'truths' can be left?

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

plk
Premium
join:2002-04-20
united state
reply to LanDroid2
About the only real bombshell left is evidence of tapping and tracking senators and maybe some blackmail. Insider trading etc Maybe some reporters to boot.

nony
Premium
New York, NY

4 edits
reply to Link Logger
Neither Greenwald, Assange, nor their other cohorts have the expertise to play the role of Declassifier in Chief, and have no business doing so.

Greenwald may argue that he has been following journalistic national security leaking protocol, where Assange cannot -
»twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/46···63947520

Anyone remember Inside the Company?
»www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/obitu···gee.html

-nony

nony
Premium
New York, NY
reply to LanDroid2
Any high value assets/targets moving in to Afghanistan?

LanDroid2

Cincinnati, OH
reply to LanDroid2
How 'bout this: that quantum computer they've been working on that would render current encryption useless? They've had it for three years. That's why they're building that huge data storage facility in Utah.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Bruce Schneier has seen the documents (well as much as he could get a sense of in a relatively short time) and concludes encryption does work. That keeps me from going the quantum direction.

I'll stick my neck out and predict it has something to do with tapping capabilities in nearly every router on the net from backbone to consumer. Throughout this entire thing, Cisco has been doing a PR dance and damage control at the slightest mention (and there's been several).

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
reply to plk
said by plk:

About the only real bombshell left is evidence of tapping and tracking senators and maybe some blackmail. Insider trading etc Maybe some reporters to boot.

Or perhaps a certain President who suddenly reversed his position on the relative tradeoff between privacy and national security? I mean it's not like something similar hasn't been done in the past, lest we forget. And I daresay that would be considered a bombshell.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
reply to LanDroid2
Obama's real birth certificate? :P

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
reply to jvmorris
Just to follow up a bit on my immediately preceding post, it really was true long ago and far away that there was almost a Prime Directive at the NSA "Thou shalt not spy on American citizens without a Court order." I know some people won't believe that and I'm not going to waste time trying to convince them that this statement is true. Some of the former NSA employees who have 'gone public' have commented on this also.

I do not know definitively when this paradigm became to change, but I have been assured that it was underway pre-9/11. Indeed, even some of Hayden's public statements seem to point to this conclusion.

Now, the old philosophy was widely and firmly held throughout NSA ranks and it was obvious that it would become necessary to either eliminate or neutralize such employees, especially those in the decision-making hierarchy. This is a slow process, especially when you don't want to make it crystal-clear what's being done. At the higher levels, people start being criticized regarding their performance, they start getting adverse performance reviews, performance bonuses that had been common no longer occur, job responsibilities get redefined, your position is reorganized out of existence (you're still there but you've got no meaningful responsibilities anymore), your staff disappears, you're quietly encouraged to retire or maybe transfer out to a more tranquil position in another Agency. New people are brought in and assigned responsibilities for things that used to be yours*; low-level employees no longer hear about any Prime Directive. New legal opinions are drafted and promulgated (often by people who would never have been allowed close to NSA previously). And slowly but surely, the entire Agency changes.

Someday, someone will write a book about this transition -- it's just not going to be me.

* Somewhat interestingly, Thomas Drake was one of these 'new blood' hires; he reported for work on 9/11.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Boooost

@24.190.184.x
reply to plk
said by plk:

About the only real bombshell left is evidence of tapping and tracking senators and maybe some blackmail.

That's a good possibility. I'll bet on the NSA hacking election machines and changing the outcome of elections. (Why do you think Rove was so sure about Ohio?)

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DataDoc
said by DataDoc:

said by LanDroid2:

Hey, spoilers for those who haven't seen it. :P
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

LanDroid2

Cincinnati, OH
reply to plk
quote:
The man who helped bring about the most significant leak in American intelligence history is to reveal names of US citizens targeted by their own government in what he promises will be the "biggest" revelation from nearly 2m classified files.

..."One of the big questions when it comes to domestic spying is, 'Who have been the NSA's specific targets?'," (Greenwald) said. "Are they political critics and dissidents and activists? Are they genuinely people we'd regard as terrorists? What are the metrics and calculations that go into choosing those targets and what is done with the surveillance that is conducted? Those are the kinds of questions that I want to still answer."

»www.realclearpolitics.com/articl···747.html
Looks like some of you have been on the right track, should be a very interesting list...

nony
Premium
New York, NY

3 edits
reply to jvmorris
said by jvmorris:

Now, the old philosophy was widely and firmly held throughout NSA ranks and it was obvious that it would become necessary to either eliminate or neutralize such employees, especially those in the decision-making hierarchy.

Perhaps "obvious" that something would give...
»www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline···-program
»www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline···secrets/

But the White House also needs to stop leaking about Afghanistan -
»www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat···ory.html

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to DataDoc
Luke is Darth's father - time travel is confirmed!
said by DataDoc:

said by LanDroid2:

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to LanDroid2
From the realclearpolitics.com article

quote:
Greenwald, who is promoting his book No Place To Hide and is trailed by a documentary crew wherever he goes, was speaking in a boutique hotel near Harvard, where he was to appear with Noam Chomsky, the octogenarian leftist academic.

"One of the big questions when it comes to domestic spying is, 'Who have been the NSA's specific targets?'," he said.

"Are they political critics and dissidents and activists? Are they genuinely people we'd regard as terrorists?

What are the metrics and calculations that go into choosing those targets and what is done with the surveillance that is conducted? Those are the kinds of questions that I want to still answer."

Greenwald said the names would be published via The Intercept, a website funded by Pierre Omidyar, the billionaire founder and chairman of eBay. Greenwald left The Guardian, which published most of the Snowden revelations, last autumn to work for Omidyar.
In case you ever doubted news is about making money.

Now lets say for fun that those are almost 2 million Americans as no doubt my name would be on that list (if it included non-Americans, but then again if they didn't check me out then they really wouldn't be doing their job), that would be like half of one percent of the US population, and then of course how many of those received more then the first pass look (or were looked at in regards to investigating someone else, ie connections). The NSA isn't looking like the big scary monster everyone has been told it is, so they will need to dress this news up in a big way to get folks attention (wonder how much ads are selling for this broadcast).

If this is the big news, then the real information and objectives are still happily chugging along behind the smoke screen.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool