reply to LanDroid2

Re: Upcoming Snowden bombshell

Has the bombshell gone off yet?

Blake

neochu

join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON
reply to LanDroid2
Sounds like Watergate all over again with this one.

Just though that it is on steroids.

Though knowing by know "the matrix" has evolved and that data is not relevant anymore.

Though the meta analysis will be, especially behaviourally -- which will likely identify "potentials" vs people they wanna "take out".

IMHO they have been probably watching and monitoring domestic PWIs for years without doing anything. Sometimes you need to monitor poeple because they act like canaries or are links to bigger things.

nony
Premium
join:2012-11-17
New York, NY
reply to nony
said by nony:

The behavioralists are really raking it in on their overtime. We have an abundance of classified and unclassifed "lessons learned" docs on Drake - he's been well peer-reviewed.
»www.fas.org/sgp/news/2012/07/nsa-wws.pdf
»www.fas.org/sgp/jud/drake/index.html

More on lessons learned and keeping our operatives in line -
»blogs.fas.org/secrecy/2014/05/hpsci-2015/

-nony

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to LanDroid2
Well as reported on the news, he is a patriot.
The good news he didnt have to arm himself with a gun to take on the big bad government. Knowledge is still mightier than the sword.
On Concorde, on Snowden on Prancer......... oops thats a different tale.

nony
Premium
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to LanDroid2

Image Is Everything

N.S.A. Collecting Millions of Faces From Web Images -
(By JAMES RISEN and LAURA POITRAS MAY 31, 2014)
»www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/us/ns···ges.html

"The government leads the way in developing huge face recognition databases, while the private sector leads in accurately identifying people under challenging conditions"

Another great example of a public/private partnership.

-nony

NotAGoodIdea

@50.170.133.x
reply to DataDoc

The President is in fact, the enemy and staging a war using trillions of clone warriors in white space suits and building giant moon-sized lasers as a backup plan if the natives get restless and almost seem to be winning? :trollface:

Actually, I think the biggest revelation will be a list of all the blackmail targets and related information... It'll be so many people in the world's governments that effectively no one will be able to afford to care. Actually, if they're not doing that already, I've lost all respect for their ruthlessly clever planners.

bahwhatever1

@50.170.133.x
reply to nony
It doesn't work if you believe the lies...

NotAGoodIdea

@50.170.133.x
reply to jvmorris
It was probably underway about somewhere near the times that PGP was released, the WWW or AOL became a household name, OKC's FBI office was bombed, or when the Berlin wall fell. Take your pick, they're all good target dates to start such a shift, motive-wise.

NotAGoodIdea

@50.170.133.x
reply to LanDroid2
"The Stasi Records Act of 1991" and Gerd Gies' resignation comes to mind. There was hell to pay when those records were released, from a personal point-of-view. Brothers, wives, sons, lifelong friends. Something like 99% of the country was being watched by 40%? I mean it was literally a prison/police state.

Heck, reading an article subtitled "An evaluation of the Stasi Records Act of 1991 with reference to the South African experience" and man, the quotes in bold are kind of creepy in a Cassandra-sort-of-way.

NotAGoodIdea

@50.170.133.x
reply to Link Logger
Control the right 1000 men and women, and you control the country...

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to NotAGoodIdea
This one? »www.csvr.org.za/index.php/public···nce.html .

Oh, this is interesting.

Now, if someone with a bit more time than me would care to file a petition on that WhiteHouse.gov website requesting the US Government to pass a law similar in scope to the Stasi Records Act of 1991 (before the apologists get to emasculate it), I'd sign it, as I suspect would lots of other people. And it would need to come from the people, not the House Intelligence Committee.

What's that line from "Alice's Restaurant"? Oh, yeah, . . .

"One person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and
They won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony,
They may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them.
And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in
Singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an
Organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said
Fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and
Walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.
. . . .
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
I've been singing this song now for twenty five minutes. I could sing it
For another twenty five minutes. I'm not proud... or tired."

»www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/arlo···ant.html

--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

nony
Premium
New York, NY

4 edits
reply to bahwhatever1
Facial biometrics works just fine. You just have to factor in false positives/negatives.

»biometrics.gov/

Bonus Round:Enemy of the State - 1998
»www.dailyscript.com/scripts/enem···ate.html

The technical consultants on the film included Steve Uhrig and Marty Kaiser.
»www.swssec.com/state.html
»www.martykaiser.com/

Now that was bogus (according to Michael Hayden), despite what the TSCM community wanted you to believe (or maybe not).
»www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski···he-state
"Could there be abuses? Of course. Would there be? I am looking you and the American people in the eye and saying: There are not.”

Snowden Parallel -
»nymag.com/news/frank-rich/enemy-···-2013-7/

-nony

nony
Premium
New York, NY
reply to LanDroid2

Snowden: Happy in Brazil?

nony
Premium
New York, NY
Nice backgrounder on Jesselyn Radack (as we continue to ponder - what motivates them?)

Edward Snowden's Lawyer Will Keep Your Secrets
»www.theverge.com/2014/6/24/58185···-secrets

-nony

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA

1 recommendation

reply to LanDroid2

Speaking of upcoming Snowden bombshells, maybe I missed it, but have there been any revelations yet about massive financial surveillance? Or does that still reside with FinCen, which I think is now part of DHS?
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

nony
Premium
New York, NY

1 edit
said by jvmorris:

Speaking of upcoming Snowden bombshells,

What Happened to Glenn Greenwald's Big Scoop?
»gawker.com/what-happened-to-glen···98529606

Off-Topic [NY and Friends bust misguided financial institutions with the cooperation of multiple interagency entity alignments including, but not limited to, NYSDFS and the NY Fed, as I would know well. Sorry, its campaign season]

-nony

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to Trihexagonal

quote:
Obama's real birth certificate? :P
That would be grand!! (KENYA most likely)

nony
Premium
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to LanDroid2

Greenwald is warming us up -
»twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/48···26074368

-nony

nony
Premium
New York, NY

2 edits
reply to LanDroid2

The NSA Said Edward Snowden Had No Access to Surveillance Intercepts. They Lied?

»www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2···hey-lied

"Many other files, described as useless by the analysts but nonetheless retained, have a startlingly intimate, even voyeuristic quality. They tell stories of love and heartbreak, illicit sexual liaisons, mental-health crises, political and religious conversions, financial anxieties and disappointed hopes."

Some would say that these are the perks of the job.

However, the astute clinician might tell you that the NSA suffers from Hoarding Disorder- (see the DSM-5)

After all, agencies (gone rogue or not) are people too- (at least behaviorally)
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_be···analysis

-nony

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
reply to LanDroid2

According to this story, we'll learn about specific targets of the spying.
quote:
The man who helped bring about the most significant leak in American intelligence history is to reveal names of US citizens targeted by their own government in what he promises will be the “biggest” revelation from nearly 2m classified files.
I'll be curious whether the targets are confined to people who could theoretically be terrorist suspects, or whether some of these people are targets because of their politics, particularly politics that oppose corporate welfare.

nony
Premium
New York, NY

1 edit

nony
Premium
New York, NY

4 edits
reply to Frodo
said by Frodo:

particularly politics that oppose corporate welfare

@Frodo

»www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc···/373862/

»www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat···ory.html
You can always opt out if you don't want your entire online/offline (in particular) life circulated. Pick a door Frodo!

-nony

nony
Premium
New York, NY

2 edits
reply to LanDroid2
Thanks to the op - the original citation continues to be a great read:
»www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmak···-to-hide

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
reply to nony
said by nony:

Pick a door Frodo!

Your link implies Muslums are targeted.
There is another leaker, Bill Binney.
»rt.com/usa/bill-binney-nsa-leaks-546/
quote:
For example, we can take the case of the IRS and the tea party, and the harassing they’re doing there. One of the people that’s being harassed was giving testimony in front of Congress. And they said, which I thought was quite revealing, was that they had a question from the IRS that asked, “what Is your relationship with this other person?” And they gave the name. Well how would they know that unless they knew the communications community of that person? So that means you’re getting back to this program where they’re pulling all the records of phone calls and emails and everything together and seeing who that person worked with. And on top of that it gave them the ability to pull together the entire tea party. So you would know everybody that’s involved in the tea party, peripherally or centrally.
My concern would be mission creep, where the spying in addition to targeting potential terrorists, are targeting opponents to the political status quo.

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA

3 recommendations

Yes, exactly. It's typical of all sorts of government enterprises where you build a huge infrastructure that's expensive to establish and even more expensive to then maintain and there comes a point at which you've got to justify all these expenditures -- somehow.

For example, you militarize the local police with all sorts of armored vehicles, helicopters, body armor, night vision goggles, and high-power weaponry in small towns and cities. Ostensibly it's all for anti-terrorism and SWAT teams. Well, actually they almost never have any real use for all this stuff, so they start using it to serve search and arrest warrants. Innocent people start dying, babies get burned with flash-bang grenades tossed into their cribs, dogs get shot and the response is "Sorry, shit happens."

Tasers and CCTV are both now relatively inexpensive, but when you flood a force with these resources, they're going to get used and abused out of all proportion to necessity.

Heaven forfend that the money otherwise be spent on water purification and sewage treatment facilities, replacing dangerously unsafe bridges, or actually educating our children. No glory in those.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to Frodo
said by Frodo:

My concern would be mission creep, where the spying in addition to targeting potential terrorists, are targeting opponents to the political status quo.

As I, and others, have been saying that is a major concern. Politicians and bureaucrats claim it can't happen as "there are safeguards". Many in the USA have the attitude that "it can't happen here". However history shows that the more power governments accumulate the more they abuse it.

Currently any such abuse is limited so for the most part the media and people simply shrug it off. If it ever becomes mainstream it'll be far too late to stop.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

nony
Premium
New York, NY

3 edits
reply to Frodo
said by Frodo:

Your link implies Muslums are targeted.

I have posted six links in this thread alone today, including the WaPo piece everyone is talking about. I do share your concerns.

Also, I wouldn't characterize William Binney as a leaker-
»Re: Is there Another NSA Leaker

-nony

nony
Premium
New York, NY
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Currently any such abuse is limited so for the most part the media and people simply shrug it off

Somewhat limited-
»www.emptywheel.net/2014/07/06/th···on-data/

-nony

nony
Premium
New York, NY
reply to LanDroid2
Greenwald at Carnegie Hall-

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKSE1cHchRk

-nony

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

Has the bombshell gone off yet?

Blake

I posted that question on May 28th and here it is July 7th and I'm still waiting for the bombshell to go off, but I'm now starting to think its just a dud (well to be honest I always thought it was dud, but time would confirm that as it has).

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool