onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Newsletter

We have a company newsletter that is in the form of PDF. I was thinking of trying to make it available as 'flipable' book for smart phones and tablets.

How could I get this done? I've tried exporting directly from Pages as an epub, but the end result was that all the images text and color boxes where scattered through the document. Yeah you could flip through it, but it was a garbled mess. Wait....did I post this question before??

Anyway, anyone have any ideas or know if this can be done?
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

You'd likely have to use the software that created the PDF to export directly to epub. Or remake the newsletter from scratch in Pages. Unfortunately, Pages is not a very sophisticated epub creator. (Or word processor, really)

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Daemon:

You'd likely have to use the software that created the PDF to export directly to epub. Or remake the newsletter from scratch in Pages. Unfortunately, Pages is not a very sophisticated epub creator. (Or word processor, really)

I actually did create it from scratch in Pages. I've tried exporting from Pages as an epub. I've exported it as a PDF from Pages, and then used something called FlipBook and something else called Calibre to create an ebook out of the PDF. I ended up with the same result...scattered images, text, and color blocks.

I've tried googling this rather than bother people here with it, but I didn't see anything related to a flippable newsletter.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
I am not too familiar with the epub file format. Is it possible you are using some feature set of PDF that isn't doable in an epub yet?

You could rasterize each page of the newsletter (i.e. basically convert each page to a jpeg) and then export that as epub, but it's not going to scale well to different screen sizes.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Daemon:

I am not too familiar with the epub file format. Is it possible you are using some feature set of PDF that isn't doable in an epub yet?

I wouldn't know. I mean all I did was export it as a PDF directly from Pages when the epub export didn't layout correctly.

You could rasterize each page of the newsletter (i.e. basically convert each page to a jpeg) and then export that as epub, but it's not going to scale well to different screen sizes.

I've never done that. How do you do it?

kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
It's not free, but we use this:
»issuu.com/

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by kes601:

It's not free, but we use this:
»issuu.com/

I'm not understanding what that's for.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

It turns a PDF into a flippable magazine.

»issuu.com/capehenry/docs ··· /4235214