Search similar:

uniqs

jarablue
Always be true to yourself
join:2001-06-11
Worcester, MA

jarablue

Contact is up in 1 month...what to do?

My contract is ending in June. After really thinking about it, FIOS is just too much for what is offers. Don't get me wrong, the TV is very nice and the internet has never been out. But the days of me geeking out over fiber and having very fast internet are over. I've grown out of gaming and the only reason I need TV is for the wife and kid. I can definitely get by with whatever the cheapest internet package is. That being said, I have Sprint as my cell phone and Verizon for my landline, net and TV. Comcast is also in the area. I would like to ditch the landline completely. Was thinking of using my cell phone for everything if possible. Though I don't know if Sprint allows that much data. I use youtube a good amount and some gaming.

Or maybe see what Comcast could offer me? Like I said I would only need TV and internet. If I could get a better deal via Sprint for internet and TV through Comcast and Verizon, or even internet/TV via Comcast. I know there are not a lot of options with Verizon as a current customer. My wife is the other adult here. But we both have the same last names. Could she possibly get new Verizon service in her name to get a good contract?

Just seeing what you guys would rec me do in my situation.

Thanks!

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

In my area, everytime I check the comcast prices, they cost more than FiOS. Plus with FiOS bundling, home phone service is bascially free. Without it I would be paying around the same price so i might as well keep it and bundle everything.

My contract is up at the end of July. I plan on renewing for another two years. That is the best solution for me. Tv is inexpensive, a landline is inexpensive, internet is inexpensive for the speed, and cellular is inexpensive. The only servcie that I pay more now than I did twelve years ago is for internet service. And that is many times the speed I had back then. So on the whole I pay less now than I did twelve years ago for all my services.
smapdi
join:2003-07-07
Baldwin, NY

1 recommendation

smapdi to jarablue

to jarablue
I'm in the same boat out here in Long Island. My contract is up in less than 40 days and I'm seriously considering Optimum for TV+Internet. They say their 50Mbps plan is about equivalent to my 50/25 FIOS plan (confirmed by a buddy who has this service and is getting very good speed results) and the cost savings would be about $20/month.

I'm not a fan of cable internet but for that kind of savings I could be swayed.

Geot
@96.226.95.x

Geot

Anon

I went from cable to FIOS when I moved and feel like nothing changed. Speeds, pings about the same as the cable I left. It was actually a big let down after expecting fiber to be somehow better.

I'd go back to cable in a minute to save money and will when my 1 year is up. Besides the FIOS TV is sub par compared to cable, both in terms of price for the channels I want and picture quality.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to jarablue

to jarablue
I have 1 year left by that time twc maxx will be here or even quicker in Williamsburg area.

65$ for 300/20 fios 300/65 200$.

Id take cable for that price any day.

SoCalDude
join:2008-07-30
Oxnard, CA

1 edit

SoCalDude to jarablue

to jarablue
In the same boat, my discounts go away next month. I have Time Warner as an alternative, so I could save a few bucks switching, but prefer staying with FIOS. I'll just call in and see what's the best they can offer me. Then I'll call Time Warner and do the same. I'll pick what ever saves me the most money.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek to jarablue

to jarablue
My contract is up to and the only difference between the cost between Fios and Cablevision is $20 dollars the 20 dollars I pay for DVR cablevision is giving me for free. I'm a ask VZ to give me DVR for free in exchange for staying if not me go bye bye to Cablevision.

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor to jarablue

Mod

to jarablue
Same boat here. Contract is up on 6/17.

I'm told that I'll be at $143 after tax on FiOS if I renew for 2 years. After the promos/courtesy discounts I've been getting, I've been paying about $115 for my 2 years.

With Cablevision, in year 1, I'll be at $121 with the low end option and $131 with the next package up. Year 2 goes up by $13 because I lose the free DVR promo.

FiOS is closer for me because I got in on the free DVR for life promo.

My optimal solution would be to have FiOS really believe I'm going to cancel and throw on another $20/mo courtesy credit for 2 years. Is that something they might do?
KGB7
join:2003-12-17
Rockville, MD

KGB7 to jarablue

to jarablue
Youtube eats up data and a lot of it. There are now 4k videos on youtube that you can watch, thats eats up even more data.

Comcast is going to put data caps across that boards for all customers this year, around 300gb a month.

So stick with fios, just down grade the speed if you want to save few bucks.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill to jarablue

to jarablue

Re: Contact is up NOW, what to do?

My contract just expired today and I need help getting a decent deal. I've been playing around with renewal options online and never found anything that I liked, and it's very confusing because I have some discounts like One-Bill which apparently don't expire for a couple of months and are not available anymore, so it shows a price for month 1, then another for month 2, then a $15 jump in month 3. At one point I got it to show me a $99.99 price but it jumped to $114.99 when I went to the next screen (yes, I have screen shots).

I called a number in the Connections department (I get a $10 discount thru them) that showed up when I tried to go a renewal last week and the woman there couldn't do anything but suggested that I call my local office when my contract expired and they'd be able to help me. I tried that today, in fact I chose the "cancel my service" and got retentions and the guy there wouldn't do anything beyond what I was seeing on the website. When I told him that I had an $85 offer from Cablevision, he pointed out that I had Ultimate TV and that their offer wasn't comparable. I was really surprised that he wasn't willing to do anything more than I had on the website and didn't do anything to stop me from hanging up. Maybe they're not that aggressive anymore. Or maybe I need to schedule a disconnect to get them moving.

Right now I have 25/25 and Ultimate TV and pay $109.99 with all discounts. The guy today said he could renew me at $114.99 but if I wanted to go to 50/25 it would be another $10 a month.

Last time I renewed, I ended up going thru the Verizon Twitter folks and got them to put me in touch with Executive Resolutions and the guy there got me a nice deal. I think I'm going to have to do the same thing this time (with the reason of the aforementioned $99.99 price that went away) unless there are some magic words to use with the normal folks.

Oh, and going back to Cablevision isn't really an option for me. Their service was terrible when I had them and returning my equipment to them was one of my happiest days in recent memory.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to jarablue

to jarablue

Re: Contact is up in 1 month...what to do?

said by jarablue:

My contract is ending in June. After really thinking about it, FIOS is just too much for what is offers. Don't get me wrong, the TV is very nice and the internet has never been out. But the days of me geeking out over fiber and having very fast internet are over. I've grown out of gaming and the only reason I need TV is for the wife and kid. I can definitely get by with whatever the cheapest internet package is. That being said, I have Sprint as my cell phone and Verizon for my landline, net and TV. Comcast is also in the area. I would like to ditch the landline completely. Was thinking of using my cell phone for everything if possible. Though I don't know if Sprint allows that much data. I use youtube a good amount and some gaming.

Or maybe see what Comcast could offer me? Like I said I would only need TV and internet. If I could get a better deal via Sprint for internet and TV through Comcast and Verizon, or even internet/TV via Comcast. I know there are not a lot of options with Verizon as a current customer. My wife is the other adult here. But we both have the same last names. Could she possibly get new Verizon service in her name to get a good contract?

Just seeing what you guys would rec me do in my situation.

Thanks!

Let me know what they can offer you. I am very interested in this.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill to jarablue

to jarablue
I should say that the system started offering me a $20 discount for 24 months today, previously it maxed out at $15. However, somehow the total price ended up the same as I was being offered previously.
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Bytezboy to jarablue

to jarablue
If they rep don't give you a good deal, hang up and try again.

SoCalDude
join:2008-07-30
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to jarablue

to jarablue
Hey all, is it still best to call in and navigate your way to cancellation of service to try and get a retention rep?

HardwareGeek
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek to jarablue

to jarablue
So I renewed yesterday. I will be paying 198 after box fees and taxes 3 boxes (Multi Room DVR) 150 Mbps internet Ultimate HD and Digital Voice.

154.99 before fees and taxes 198 after fees and taxes.

I previously had 129.99 for the same, and was paying about 183 after fees and taxes. So about a 15 dollar increase.

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor

Mod

said by HardwareGeek:

So I renewed yesterday. I will be paying 198 after box fees and taxes 3 boxes (Multi Room DVR) 150 Mbps internet Ultimate HD and Digital Voice.

154.99 before fees and taxes 198 after fees and taxes.

I previously had 129.99 for the same, and was paying about 183 after fees and taxes. So about a 15 dollar increase.

Does your new price represent any additional courtesy discounts above and beyond the website renewal offer?
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill to SoCalDude

to SoCalDude
said by SoCalDude:

Hey all, is it still best to call in and navigate your way to cancellation of service to try and get a retention rep?

That has been the case in the past. It didn't work for me yesterday. I have to try again. Maybe I should try my local Verizon store, they had found a decent deal when I checked with them a few weeks ago, although it still was a price increase. I need to figure out how to get in touch with executive resolutions.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

said by MisterBill:

said by SoCalDude:

That has been the case in the past. It didn't work for me yesterday. I have to try again. Maybe I should try my local Verizon store, they had found a decent deal when I checked with them a few weeks ago, although it still was a price increase. I need to figure out how to get in touch with executive resolutions.

The Verizon store here in krooklyn sucks. The ppl there couldn't be bothered to help or look for discounts or anything- claiming store workers cannot do it if they wanted to; they don't have axs to the system that way.

Is of course bull as I know many in other areas that have gotten great renewal deals at the stores.

Calling has always worked out for me tho. As had been stated, if it first you don't succeed, try try again. Eventuallu you'll break through.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

1 edit

MisterBill

said by jimboe:

The Verizon store here in krooklyn sucks. The ppl there couldn't be bothered to help or look for discounts or anything- claiming store workers cannot do it if they wanted to; they don't have axs to the system that way.

Is of course bull as I know many in other areas that have gotten great renewal deals at the stores.

Calling has always worked out for me tho. As had been stated, if it first you don't succeed, try try again. Eventuallu you'll break through.

I spoke to a woman in the Carmel, NY store and she seemed interested in trying to get me a good deal, although I did still end up with a small increase. Presumably you've dealt with retention folks on the phone in the past?

HardwareGeek
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek to Lex Luthor

to Lex Luthor
Yes, but online was weird the lowest it showed me was 164.99 the highest 214.99. It changed almost daily it was wierd.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

So, part of my problem is that I apparently have a couple of discounts totaling $15 from my previous contract that are still valid for another month. So they tell me that my rate is going to go up $5 a month, but that is not valid for 24 months and when I price it out online it ends up going up another $15 within 3 months.

Geot
@96.226.95.x

Geot to KGB7

Anon

to KGB7
said by KGB7:

Youtube eats up data and a lot of it. There are now 4k videos on youtube that you can watch, thats eats up even more data.

Comcast is going to put data caps across that boards for all customers this year, around 300gb a month.

Boy that is a load of ****. You are really predicting what Comcast might do under the guise of a definitive statement saying what they will do. Two very different things. Unless you are a Comcast exec, you have no idea what they will do. Besides if 4k does actually go from a blip to something of significance , what makes you think FIOS won't implement cap?

billski
@74.108.147.x

billski

Anon

Cablevision has one huge problem though. When you press the remote and there is a delay up to 3 seconds before a channel changes. Have tried different cable boxes, remotes, TVs, etc. Other problems include "sink hole channels" - when you tune there the box freezes and you have to reboot. Also, they play sooo many of their commercials. Stick with Verizon - its worth the money.
KGB7
join:2003-12-17
Rockville, MD

KGB7 to Geot

to Geot
said by Geot :

said by KGB7:

Boy that is a load of ****. You are really predicting what Comcast might do under the guise of a definitive statement saying what they will do. Two very different things. Unless you are a Comcast exec, you have no idea what they will do. Besides if 4k does actually go from a blip to something of significance , what makes you think FIOS won't implement cap?

Its called reading news and leaving in real world instead of the land of denial.
Comcast already has low caps for many its clients, I was a Comcast customer. Verizon also has caps, but are much much higher.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe to MisterBill

to MisterBill
said by MisterBill:

Presumably you've dealt with retention folks on the phone in the past?

Sometimes it's gone that far, others no.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to jarablue

to jarablue
Good luck. Been fighting with them for a while on my contract. Went in and had an offer and order # for what I was paying now for another 2 years. Got my bill and BAM! $150 (vs $119). Called them and the first rep found the stuff and issued me credits. But said I had to talk to the Elite Team. Called them and THOUGHT I was at $120. Got the confirm e-mail and $150.

Called again, explained I could get more from Comcast for $126.90 and they wouldn't budge. Even asked if I could get on a new customer deal for 2 years without the gift card. Nope.

Was all ready to pull the trigger when I found my phone # won't port to Comcast.

Does anyone have the # or whatever for the Executive team? This is ridiculous and if I could transfer the #, I'm done. I'll flip back and forth between services as their pricing is ridiculous!

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Port your # to a VOIP provider, then your free to switch to your hearts content for ISP/TV
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

That is my next call - see what happens if I cancel my phone. That alone "should" lower the bill by $30. Planning to port to Google Voice and have that ring the wife and my cell phones which have unlimited.

Just want to make sure that doesn't raise the bill by $30+
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill to itguy05

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

Does anyone have the # or whatever for the Executive team? This is ridiculous and if I could transfer the #, I'm done. I'll flip back and forth between services as their pricing is ridiculous!

From another thread (and I just tried it to verify that it still works):

Call 1-800-483-7988 and press 3 to reach the Verizon Customer Advocates for landlines and DSL

BTW what is the "elite team"?
Expand your moderator at work