All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cpaun
join:2014-05-21

cpaun

IPTV help for licencing in Quebec

Can anybody help to point me on the right direction do get CRTC licence for IPTV?
I did looked on CRTC site but I am not sure from where to start.
Any help apreciate

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Why would you need a license? its just data ...

Now, the content you stream for sure will need them from the owners of said content and payment

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to cpaun

MVM

to cpaun
A broadcast license is required from the CRTC for IPTV service where the TV means real television channels will be streamed. It's a highly regulated industry.

Several ISPs have gone through the hoops of getting an IPTV license, you could try asking them. Acanac or VMedia are the two big ones, although I believe that ColbaNet also does.

Keep in mind that if you don't have your own ISP, you probably won't be able to offer IPTV service, as current regulations (or agreements with content owners) seem to restrict IPTV service to closed networks, meaning that in effect only an ISP can offer IPTV service.
cpaun
join:2014-05-21

cpaun

Thank you for your fast answer. Do you know anybody that already have that type of licence that can help me to get it on my company or if it is possible to share or sale the licence?
I was looking on CRTC site but it is not clear for me what application I have to complete .

Thanks,

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to cpaun

MVM

to cpaun
As I said, the three that I'm aware of that have the licenses are Acanac (parent company is Distributel, and the IPTV subsidiary is Zazeen), VMedia, and ColbaNet.

Some of these IPTV providersAs I said, the three that I'm aware of that have the licenses are Acanac (parent company is Distributel, and the IPTV subsidiary is Zazeen), VMedia, and ColbaNet.

Some of these IPTV providers do resale arrangements, so if you have your own ISP you can resell their IPTV service. Apparently the "closed network" requirements can allow for the IPTV service to be used over a different ISP if there is some sort of direct peering and billing agreement in place, I don't really know the details of how that works.