spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to Subaru

to Subaru

Re: [Tools] Cordless trimmers

i have the unit with changables, i have never used different attachments but it seems like it would change easily, only 1 nut to change

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to LittleBill

Premium Member

to LittleBill
I also have the Ryobi 4-stroke, bought some years ago.

When I moved to FL, I couldn't get it running again so I gave up and bought a 2-stroke Tanaka commercial unit that I found for a very good price.

I ended up fixing it and now I just use it with the edging attachment.

When I first bought it, I quickly learned that tilting it the wrong way while using it allows it to double as a mosquito fogger...

Otherwise, mine doesn't burn any oil in between changes. I run the specified 20W50 and change it annually. Granted, I don't run it hard and only once every few weeks for about a half-hour to an hour each time.
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned) to Subaru

to Subaru
Ryobi is junk when it come to small engines. They are cheap so you get what you pay for. Typically I buy Husqvarna but in this one instance I went with Troy-Bilt just because the electric start. It's 4 years old now and going strong. It's worth the $199 I paid for it. I change the oil once a year with full synth then run 10% ethanol gas with Seafoam in it. It works the same now as it did the day I bought it.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I would prefer a Husqvarna as well but I hardly ever see any good prices on them.. But that's to be expected
66860111 (banned)

66860111 (banned)

said by Subaru:

I would prefer a Husqvarna as well but I hardly ever see any good prices on them.. But that's to be expected

Yea the Troy-bilt was $199 with a free electric starter ($35). The Husqvarna was $329. Normally I wouldn't care and get the Husqvarna anyways but I couldn't justify double the price.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I have a cordless B&D 18v trimmer, and for our yard, which is about 1/4 acre, and only used for trimming along the fence and some light edging, it works great. Battery lasts about 15-20 minutes, but thats more than enough to finish the front yard and most of the back. Slap in a 2nd battery to finish the job. I've got a few other B&D tools, so I've got batteries charged and charging all the time.

I wouldn't recommend for medium / heavy work, but just regular yard trimming, light / medium, it's pretty damn good. I had to eat crow, as my wife bought it as she couldn't get the 4 stroke started easily and it was loud and heavy. The B&D is light as can be, and gets the job done. Recommend for sure.
66860111 (banned)

66860111 (banned)

said by Koil:

I had to eat crow, as my wife bought it as she couldn't get the 4 stroke started easily and it was loud and heavy.

That's why I got the electric start model. I picked up a nice harness as well. The wife uses it a few times a year.
»www.amazon.com/Husqvarna ··· 04HPRXGS
LittleBill

LittleBill to John97

to John97
mine states 10w30 on it, i think it went through a revision. im worried about going to a thicker oil, don't want to loose any power, but the oil burn is getting annoying
66860111 (banned)

66860111 (banned)

said by LittleBill:

mine states 10w30 on it, i think it went through a revision. im worried about going to a thicker oil, don't want to loose any power, but the oil burn is getting annoying

I run SAE 5W-30 Royal Purple Full Synthetic in all my machines. There's really no oil loss at all for me. Not sure if it's the oil or the machine causing your problem.
LittleBill

LittleBill

thats a pretty expensive oil, that said this is the only machine that burns like this, i have numerous machines between this and power sports, this is the only one that burns like this

and i think a couple months later i noticed that ryobi had changed the oil recommendation in their manual. i am assuming this is the reason
66860111 (banned)

66860111 (banned)

said by LittleBill:

thats a pretty expensive oil, that said this is the only machine that burns like this, i have numerous machines between this and power sports, this is the only one that burns like this

and i think a couple months later i noticed that ryobi had changed the oil recommendation in their manual. i am assuming this is the reason

One 5 quart jug lasts me like 3 years. It costs like $35 so under $12 a year for my mower, trimmer, snow blower, & chipper. They run far better with quality oil and gas that's for sure.

Technically I could get 2 years per oil change with full synthetic as well so it could last 6 years. I just error on the safe side and do it annually. I buy quality machines so I don't want to replace them if I don't have too.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I think I will get that roybi attachment string trimmer for the fact it has a tiller attachment that I can buy.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I've seen the tiller in use. If you have soft soil, such as a garden, and just need to mix it up, it works. Much beyond that there isn't enough weight to keep it from just bouncing on the surface.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Well we will see how it goes its med soft as far as the soil is
Subaru

1 edit

Subaru

Premium Member

I'm looking at Husqvarna's site now and which one has a changeable head? Same goes for the Stihl.

OK for the Husqvarna it seems the 128CD is the cheapest one with the multipurpose attachments.

Reading the reviews on the Husky not so great :-/ I guess bad batch or something.

OMGWTFBBQ
@162.201.140.x

OMGWTFBBQ to Subaru

Anon

to Subaru
I went to buy a 2 cycle for $199 a few days ago and ended up with this: »www.homedepot.com/p/EGO- ··· 04753708

Very happy. 20 mins of trimming (2/3rds of my property including some overdue edging) and it it was still "green" on the red/yellow/green battery scale. Battery recharged on the charger in about 10 minutes.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Question do new string trimmers come with the spool of trimming line or is it sold separate?

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

2 recommendations

Camelot One

MVM

Most come with string. But some will only come with a "starter" amount.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Question do new string trimmers come with the spool of trimming line or is it sold separate?

said by Camelot One:

Most come with string. But some will only come with a "starter" amount.

Which means go ahead and buy the string while you're there, you're going to eventually need it anyway. My cordless B&D has preloaded cartridges you can buy...little more than just the string, but not having to wind that shit....priceless.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

We used to have a 2 cycle Echo trimmer but it walked off but I wrapped new string around it, did not seem like a big deal to me.. haha only a few things I don't have the time for. :P

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

It may be because I'm all thumbs, but nothing so frustrating as getting it wound up, then not pulling it through the right hole or whatever and have it unspin itself into a spaghetti mess and then it never feeds right...ugh!

I tried one of those attachments on my old 4 stroke, that had 3 solid rods that swung instead of the line. It actually worked pretty well, except we have cement pavers that line our garden and it would it just break them...which sucked since thats 90% of what I use the trimmer for.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Ryobi has a hard plastic blade option for the 18v. It works pretty well, and doesnt tear anything up. The blades fold in when they hit something solid

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Cordless Ryobi string trimmer is four tools in one
Battery-powered machine has lots of power but you pay for it

adam9c1
join:2014-05-01
USA

adam9c1

I have the Craftsman C3 19.2 trimmer.
It's great. Only sometimes the auto feed does not work and I have to manually feed the line.

I also have many other C3 tools. I recently purchased a hedge trimmer, and it works great! Fantastic. I was even able to trim down our little rose tree.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Wow sounds more of a hassle, I wonder how the Roybi with the changeable heads is like? the attachments I felt are a little bit pricy.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Ryob ··· yc1vZ1aw

I have had this trimmer for close to 6 years, never had a problem with it at all. I empty it every fall and use fresh gas and oil mix in the spring. I also bought a pole saw attachment for it which works very well.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I question on the attachments you know you have the pruner attachments has anyone used it before?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I called that a pole saw but I guess they call it a pruner. I have one from a different company for my Ryobi trimmer and it comes in handy for small work.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit

mityfowl to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I have the hedge trimmer attachment.

It was fine for the 1st year. It's awkward and heavy.

I could live with all that if you could sharpen the blade. But no, the unit is riveted together. Maybe they have changed it since I bought it but if its still riveted forget it.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Do you happen to know what the reach is with it attached?

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

Quite a ways.

Maybe 48-54", but I've fallen off a short ladder stretching out with it.