All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brunp
join:2014-05-21

brunp

Rural Expansion plans south of Ottawa

I live in sort of a zone where I can't get great wireless service beyond Rogers Mobile Internet, nor am able to get DSL coverage. I don't have cable.

Recently, I saw someone marking up some Bell flags around the Third Line Road and Century intersection just west of Car Canada area on Prince of Wales.

Just wondering if someone knows whether or not Bell plans on expanding DSL service and what would be the technical implications of implementing DSL in our rural area...

Paul

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Bell hasn't even done DSL for the semi-rural areas ... never mind the rural ones. DSL's only available in the village of Carp ... move outside of Carp towards Kanata or Stittlsville and you fall into a broadband black hole.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to brunp

to brunp
South east and south west of Ottawa are supposed to get it this summer not sure where exactly though. I was working with some lads from expertech in orleans who told me the out lying areas are due to get upgraded this summer. I asked specifically about greely as that is where I am and he said parts of greely, manotick, Metcalfe, osgoode and Richmond are due.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Probably the more populated areas ... but the truly rural areas will probably wait forever. Heck, there are still parts of Blackburn Hamlet where they can't get DSL from one side of the street, but can on the other.
btech805
Canada

btech805

Lol I know just that area. Yes the truly rural folks are SOL for now, but if you are in a rural village you should be getting attention soon, and if you're in an area where cable isn't available, it seems both Bell and Rogers are racing to fill these gaps, however when one plants a shovel usually the other will stay away. Ive seen it between vernon and winchester Bell dug over the winter for FTTN where no dsl was available, and rogers wont follow up now for a couple years at least.
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith to brunp

Premium Member

to brunp
There are indeed some DSL expansions going on. I'm way further south than you (west of Kemptville) and I got DSL just last month. Granted the best we can get is the 5Mbps stuff, but at least I could punt the wireless.
Unfortunately, there's no real way to know when you may *actually* get anything happening in your immediate area. Just do what I did and watch for Bell trucks working near your CO and when you see anybody working pop by for a friendly chat.

Brad.
guppy
join:2014-04-16

guppy

I live west of Stittsville near Ashton and Bell has run fibre near me for a new housing development. I have contacted Bell 3 times over the past 3 months but the reps do not know when they will offer high-speed to my house. The last time they essentially said "don't call us, we'll call you (when something is available)". I think it will be a long time before I get high speed from Bell, until then I am stuck with Xplornet. Hope you have better luck south of Ottawa.
btech805
Canada

btech805

Im teased even more, my neighbor across the street has ftth and I get 5 meg dsl. He got spliced in on the way to a new subdivision and it's buried lines with no poles so no way to do it on my side. At least I have dsl and I'm lucky, most of my friends are on xplornet or a couple have turbo hubs where LTE is available. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, my thoughts would be if you're passing houses why not splice in terminals and have less lost money between co and subscribers (and in a rural area you may only pickup 15-20 extra houses but if they all sign up for tv+internet that's an extra 150 bucks a month per household they wouldn't have normally).

These decisions are above my pay grade and there's probably an engineering reason for it that we don't see. Eventually everyone will be ftth, but don't hold your breath.
Expand your moderator at work