All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bubbabyte
join:2011-10-05

bubbabyte to chinlock

to chinlock

Re: Ultimate 55, 120 are getting a unlimited usage option (Ont, Qc)

has anyone heard anything further on this?

Kawartha
It's 5 O'Clock somewhere right??
Premium Member
join:2002-11-11
Peterborough, ON

Kawartha

Premium Member

This is true... July 3/4 new unlimited packages.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Bell looks like they're doing a full-blown FTTH overlay here in Fort Erie right now, so Cogeco's got some real competition on their hands right now.

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to chinlock

to chinlock
Wow, must be nice. I've been working with 80GB for over a year now and haven't gone over once. Might be a bit different when I move out next month, but I'll be going with TPIA for Unlimited usage without paying almost $100 a month
RedMageX

RedMageX to Sacrifus

to Sacrifus
Anyone have more details/fine print on all this yet?
Mokmo
join:2005-02-03
Saint-Georges, QC

Mokmo to Sacrifus

to Sacrifus
Ok seriously guys. Ever see those
Citation Needed
on Wikipedia ? Well no one here has shown us anything that this was happening. No press release, no ads, no statement on their bill.

As much as i wish they could have this, they would've announced it more broadly in Quebec for what's known as "national moving day" on july 1st (all rents finish on that day, long and dumb story).
MysticGuitar
join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar to Sacrifus

to Sacrifus
I'm really interested to know if this is accurate or not. I've been limiting myself to fit within the limits, and really hate being unable to properly use my internet. (In more ways than one)

Can a Cogeco rep comment on this?

Keaters
Premium Member
join:2007-07-25
Windsor, ON

Keaters

Premium Member

I just got off the phone with a tech rep from Cogeco because I wanted to find out why people were offline province wide tonight (DNS Failures - yeah for Unblock-us.com DNS), but anyhow, she said that they are coming out with it soon as everyone was made aware of it this week. The official annoucement is supposed to come out soon (like beginning of July).

Cal
join:2014-04-23

Cal to Sacrifus

to Sacrifus
This would be great news frankly 225 gb on ultimate 55 is just not enough if you play games, watch video online or stream game play.

Now what I want to know does this have any special requirements like "needing" to have 3 services with them etc?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

The unofficial info leaked here during May said that bundles would reduce the additional price of this option from $30 per month extra with no bundle, down to somewhat less extra WITH a bundle.

Famine
@72.39.244.x

Famine

Anon

Would be nice to know exact pricing on this....

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Even if I reposted the info from up-thread, which I read and DID save before the price details were edited out, Cogeco could still offer something different.

As I understand it, they did not make a formal announcement in the first place.

But their open (no contract and no bundle) monthly rate for their regular 55Mbps speed plan with a cap is $74 for Ontario, and if you add $30 to it, plus the tax, that might be an estimate.
kushiro
join:2009-02-16
Niagara Falls, ON

kushiro

Just so I understand this correctly: unlimited bandwidth would cost (possibly $30) extra?

The CSR I spoke to today told me they had no information on usage or price changes for that plan.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

No, unlimited USAGE (not Bandwidth) was rumoured to being offered by Cogeco for such a premium, on their 55 & 120 residential services.

The rumour started during May, which is why/when this thread began.

Early July was the maybe launch date.

Bell and Rogers did something similar last year.

BTW, Cogeco already offers unlimited usage on their business plans, for not too bad a price, and apparently non-businesses can order it, if they say they are one.

I do not recall the speeds of THOSE plans, but y'all know where the site is.

Also, we were discussing the rumoured plan over at the START forum only a few days ago.

»[cCable] New Cable Packages - Cogeco Territories
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Looks like we have an update :

»Cogeco is now offering UNLIMITED data packages !
kushiro
join:2009-02-16
Niagara Falls, ON

kushiro to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Thanks for your reply. I apologize for my error; of course I meant usage and not bandwidth. Sometimes terms get mixed up in my brain, and my fingers are but slaves to my thought processes.

Thanks also for clarifying the info. I understand now that the unlimited usage would be offered as an option at additional cost. I missed the earlier posts before they were deleted, and I don't really visit the START area.

The business packages are interesting. I am considering the starter one, despite it having slightly slower download and much slower upload than what I have now (Turbo 20).

Thanks again.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Some ISPs still call it bandwidth, such as Bell and Teksavvy, so they are spreading misinformation, and many folks get confused because of that.

All of the Cablecos have it right, last time I checked around, and I do what I can to remind people to call it usage.

As for the new unlimited usage residential plans, unfortunately rumours often work that way.

But if you have followed my earlier link to the START forum, you will have seen a further link to a quote of the unedited version of the post in question.

Cheers !

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to Sacrifus

Premium Member

to Sacrifus
Marcer announced it on the other thread, but we heard you loud and clear in your desire for an unlimited usage option and are pleased to announce new packages available today:

»c0ge.co/1kifabn

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Cogeco_Aaron:

Marcer announced it on the other thread, but we heard you loud and clear in your desire for an unlimited usage option and are pleased to announce new packages available today:

»c0ge.co/1kifabn

Thanks.

No mention of 'Bandwidth' at THAT page.

And here is Marcer's permalinked post :

»Re: Cogeco is now offering UNLIMITED data packages !

Cal
join:2014-04-23

2 edits

Cal to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
said by Cogeco_Aaron:

»c0ge.co/1kifabn

You guys need to listen better..... many people will not be happy with those options.

Most of us do not need 55mbps download speeds also who do you think will abuse the unlimited options someone with higher speeds or people with lower speeds?

... frankly unlimited should be offered to all packages, via 30$ max overages charge, especially if you consider it will most likely be the top tier packages that will abuse the unlimited part

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

dillyhammer to Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

to Cogeco_Aaron
said by Cogeco_Aaron:

»c0ge.co/1kifabn

"Must not exceed a reasonable usage limit."

No mention of what that "reasonable limit" is, of course. Typical. As the world has always known, caps have only ever been about monetizing usage. Those caps are meant to offset the cable TV subscriber losses that are mounting due to the prehistoric service model it's based on.

Without its government-protected monopoly, Cogeco would have failed long ago.

Mike