uniqs
f00dMonsta
join:2014-05-12
Canada

f00dMonsta to Nitra

to Nitra

Re: Serious packet loss issue

update:
new modem does not help. I will try to get them to swap my line card again....

The problem occur more often during the night, approx. 9pm - 2am which is peak hour. Is it an overloading problem in my neighborhood?

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

No it's not.
f00dMonsta
Canada

f00dMonsta

Just talked to the tech that has been working on this issue for the past month or so... I asked him about the line card, and he says that he has already tried changing the ports (line card), and even replaced the wires connecting the port.

He says the only thing that has not been changed is the riser cable, which he says has not been changed since the building's construction 50 years ago, and therefore is not twisted, and therefore suseptible to interference. He's puzzled as to why the riser crew did nothing last time it was referred to their side.

So I will have to wait yet another week or so for them to get that done... sigh...
f00dMonsta

f00dMonsta

Problem is still there!

Today the riser crew came. I watched them changing the wiring. After they left, the internet seems fine during the afternoon. But around 7pm, problem came back!
The same old issue, traceroute showing ~40% packet loss

Why?????
I feel so helpless................

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

I had pings go up to 800-900 ms with huge packet loss. The problem is not on my end but is a capacity issue upstream. I was told to wait until July, when a bigger pipe comes on stream.
f00dMonsta
Canada

f00dMonsta

So my problem is a capacity issue as well?
Bell never admit that

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by f00dMonsta:

So my problem is a capacity issue as well?
Bell never admit that

No idea. But that was what Bell Direct said to me.
jw14
join:2014-04-02
Canada

jw14 to f00dMonsta

to f00dMonsta
Exact same thing happening to me.

Happened like 10 times in the last few days, beyond frustrating

Last night I got 1005 ping 0.35 0.15 on my 25/10 with the connection hub.
f00dMonsta
Canada

f00dMonsta

Update 17th July 2014:
- Monday 14th July 2014: A technician scheduled to arrive between 9am-1pm, did not show up (was informed the next day, that the tech arrived at 12:30pm, claimed that the job was outside of his expertise and rescheduled... all without informing me)
- Tuesday 15th July 2014: My issue was risen to the complain department at night around 8pm and they called me.
- I was promised that they would send a tech the next day (16th July 2014), and that he/she would call me when they start work, and update us on the progress.
- I was promised that they would call me on Wednesday to follow up on the issue. I told them to call at *any time*
- Wednesday 16th July 2014: *crickets* No calls whatsoever, my connection has been worse than ever, averaging 20% packetloss the entire day, spiking to 50% or higher, and from what I've noticed, at least 3 disconnections (each lasting between 1min to 15min) that night.

All in all, I'm pretty disappointed with all the false promises. I can understand that hardware can malfunction, and that it may take time to diagnose the problem and fix it; that's the main reason why I'm still here talking to them; but this is sheer disrespect towards me as a customer when none of their promises have been kept.
f00dMonsta

f00dMonsta

*** Update 22nd July 2014:

- Thursday 17th July: I decided not to call this time, and went onto the bell.ca live chat support. Was passed around a couple representatives until one finally said that they will send a technician on Friday (next day) between 8-5 (wow?) to check things. I also emphasis ed to them the importance of communication, and that they should call me when work starts/ends, and I should be informed of any changes in schedule. The representative acknowledged that and claims he put it on the ticket for the technician.

- Friday 18th July: no news from Bell during the day.

- Friday 18th July (night time around 8:30pm): I finally received a call back from the Concern department from the guy who called me before. He told me that a tech (or someone else) closed the ticket at 5pm after performing a line test; and that he now needs to start a completely new ticket from scratch again... So he scheduled a technician visit for Sunday (20th July) morning.

- Sunday 20th: Tech calls me at 8:30am to say he is on his way, from Oshawa, and will take around 1hr to arrive. He arrives around 9:30am. For the first time, the tech witnesses the issue firsthand, with packetloss up to 50%, and I can't even browse the internet. He first suspects the modem, but when he performed a test directly with the line (i.e. without the modem) the issue remained. Goes to the IT room, tests there, same issue. He switches my ports, and restrips the wires; by then the issue seems to have disappeared. He also installed a port splitter at the outlet in my apartment. Finally, he says he will tweak my profile as he mentioned something about it being on "interleaved" which doesn't make sense, I do not know what profile he switched it to, if he switched it at all.

- Sunday 20th evening: One of the first nights where there was barely any problems, I suppressed my joy and enthusiasm... just in case

- Monday 21st: Concern department called, different guy this time, as the previous guy went on vacation... I happily reported that it was fine last night, but I will continue to monitor this over the week. They will call me back on Thursday (24rd). I asked for a direct phone # but they don't have one, so I'd have to call in the usual support phone line....

- Monday 21st (evening): My fears were realised, the issues are now back in full force. 30-50% packet loss for extended periods of time (between 15min and 1hr), about 3 complete disconnections (red blinking @ light, the DSL light remains solid blue).
f00dMonsta

f00dMonsta

*** Update 28th July 2014:
- Concern department scheduled to call me sometime Thursday 24th July 2014. They called while I was in a meeting at 11:30am, left a voice message saying they will call the next day (I'm wondering why they cannot call again the same day)
- Friday 25th 2014: I did not receive a call all day, no messages either
- Friday 25th 2014, evening: Filed a complaint form on bell.ca
- Saturday 26th 9:00am: Complaint department rep (note: I believe it's different from concern dept) called, again after more back and forth and repeating the same information N times, a senior tech was scheduled for monday morning.
- Sunday 27th evening: Concern dept finally decided to call. Claimed that they couldn't reach me on Friday, but did not leave a message. (Nor do I have any missed calls). I told him that there is already a tech coming monday morning
- Monday 28th July 9am: Tech called to say he was coming in 45min. He came did the same things from router all the way down to IT room, but this time he managed to switch the underground cable that we were on.
- Monday 28th 1:25pm: Complaint department rep called asking if the issue has been fixed. I told her that it is an intermittent issue, and that I'm not even home. I asked her to call back the next day for me to monitor the situation.
- Monday 28th evening: As I am typing this post out, a 2nd disconnection (red flashing @ light, DSL light is solid blue) in 1hr duration is happening. Packet loss issue has *not* been resolved at the slightest.
.... It's been 1hr, I can't get a stable enough connection to even update this post...
2hrs later, now I can post...